Garmin 1030 - too big?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I got mine from ebay for 449.. at the time there was a 15% coupon as well (max off 50) so I got that too. so for sub 400 shipped I was happy.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

csteenbe

by csteenbe

SilentDrone wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:46 pm
Is it easy to create a route in Garmin Connect or wherever and upload it to the 1030 like I’m doing now with rwgps on the bolt?
If you have GPX file you can import directly to the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone, and then synchronize with the 1030.

There is not any connection with rwgps like on the Wahoo.

Be-aware the approach of Wahoo is different then Garmin, Wahoo depends a lot on 3th party software and Garmin doesn't.

ms6073

by ms6073

csteenbe wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 am
If you have GPX file you can import directly to the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone, and then synchronize with the 1030.
So does that mean Garmin Connect will convert a GPX as I got the impression that like my Edge 520, all of the navigation capable Edge series computers required a TCX format?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

csteenbe wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:46 pm
Is it easy to create a route in Garmin Connect or wherever and upload it to the 1030 like I’m doing now with rwgps on the bolt?

There is not any connection with rwgps like on the Wahoo.

Be-aware the approach of Wahoo is different then Garmin, Wahoo depends a lot on 3th party software and Garmin doesn't.
While there aren't any connections with RWGPS, I believe there's a ConnectIQ app for Strava that will let you run saved Strava routes directly from the device. I've installed the app, I just generally upload routes directly to the device and don't have any Strava routes to try it with.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

ms6073 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 pm
csteenbe wrote:
So does that mean Garmin Connect will convert a GPX as I got the impression that like my Edge 520, all of the navigation capable Edge series computers required a TCX format?
I believe that some of the Garmins will run GPX, but TCX is generally preferred. Ride With GPS seems to indicate that GPX will work with at least the 800's and 1000's, but seems to indicate that TCX is the best choice.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've found (in the review linked above) that some of the route imports don't give you the turn by turn signals anywhere nera as easy as the Wahoo setup does. Found that getting routes onto Wahoo MUCH easier and better.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Here's an update. Yesterday I returned the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt that I have been using for about 3 weeks and purchased a Garmin Edge 1030. I have one ride on the 1030 now. I'm a novice to using a gps computer, so that influences my perspective. Anyway, here are some initial observations. The main problem I was having with the Bolt is because of its size and limited navigation capabilities. I was having a hard time with the TBT navigation prompts. I could barely read them. I don't consider that to be a defect, its a design choice. Otherwise, I liked the unit a lot. After opening the box and setting up the 1030, I was thoroughly unimpressed. The software is just so terribly clunky and outdated. The unit is not fast, i'd describe the speed as just "adequate," and the screen is not nearly as good as I thought it would be. Dcrainmaker described the 1030 display quality as "brilliant." I wouldn't go that far. lol. I'd say its more like medicore 90s cell phone. Anyway, after one ride I can see the virtues of the 1030 more clearly. The navigation experience on 1030 certainly outshines the Bolt in every way. The device correctly recognized intersections and gave useful and timely prompts at all turns. The way it displays turns and related information is definitely superior, and close to the experience I was hoping to find. Did I have problems with it on my first ride. Yes, many. Where do I begin? Strava segments weren't working and I cannot figure out why. Cadence was working fine at start but half way through it just froze at 84 rpm no matter how fast or slowly I moved those pedals. HR zones were way off from those I input during set up. And that screen. Ugh. Maybe garmin would say that the various iphones I've had have spoiled me, but I think the screen should be brighter and have more contrast, this being the flagship device after all. But, after completing the ride I have to say that I'm inclined to keep it. At least I'll give it a chance and see how I feel about it after three weeks of us in various conditions.

kode54

by kode54

MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm
I've found (in the review linked above) that some of the route imports don't give you the turn by turn signals anywhere nera as easy as the Wahoo setup does. Found that getting routes onto Wahoo MUCH easier and better.
GPX files don't give you turn by turn. i think you need to import a TCX file.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

havana

by havana

A Garmin can create TBT directions for every file. TCX or GPX, it doesn’t matter.

You’re probably referring to TBT directions backed into the file. That’s the only way of getting TBT on a Wahoo or a 520, and it can only be done with a TCX file.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ Havana - that’s not what I found. I could do a route in RWGPS (non- premium membership) and TBT on Wahoo, no problems not so on 520 or 1030 - it needed premium membership to get it.
If you do a Strava import, TBT didn’t work either.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hard to tell from the stage video, but are some of the teams (Mitchelton Scott for example) using the 1030 in the Giro ?

jlok

by jlok

I use Strava Route (free membership) to import course into 1030, TBT and auto reroute work great!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

rlanger

by rlanger

For importing routes, I've found this to be the best option out there:

https://dynamic.watch/plan#

It's also the only one, apart from Strava, that will allow you to wirelessly import a route onto your device. However, DynamicWatch has many more useful features for creating routes than Strava.

It also has a Chrome extension, which allows you to import any web-based .gpx file. So you can pretty easily import any Strava route you find with the click of the extension (although you first must first create and save it as a route in Strava, which is about 3 clicks).

As for the screen on the 1030, did you play around with the screen brightness to improve the readability? I believe it defaults to auto-brightness, but you should turn that off and set it up as you prefer.

jlok

by jlok

I find the auto brightness works fine. with bright sunlight the backlight is off automatically and the screen is very clear. navigation in the dark maybe less than stellar as the screen lacks contrast with the backlight on.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10