High end bike shop in Seattle

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I will be soon coming from Vancouver to Seattle (and the region) for a day and I am wondering if there is any excellent bike store for high end bikes and apparel that I should visit.

Looking at Assos I have noticed the two following shops for example:

- "Métier Racing & Coffee" 1017 E UNION STREET, 98112, SEATTLE
- "Element cycle", 8215 160TH AVE., 98052, REDMOND

Any other (better) recommendation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

I used to live in Seattle and vist often. My favorite place unfortunately is closed - il Vecchio, in Leschi that, in addition to lots of high end stuff (they even were the Pegoretti dealer in town), had an amazing collection of historic bikes hanging on the wall- including the track bike that Eddy Merkxx rode for the kilo record, a Pinarello that Battaglin won the Giro on (with a custom Campy triple crank set for the mountain stages!), and the owner was always interesting to talk to. There's a new pro shop in Leschi called the Polka Dot Jersey- I haven't been in there but it sounds really nice. Rand E cycles has a custom frame shop and (used to have, anyway- haven't been in there in years) a very well equipped and stocked showroom. It's near the U district/ Ravenna. Branford Bikes has a huge stock of Campy spare parts- I have ordered from them, but have never been there so I don't know what the shop is like.

fa63

by fa63

Element Cycles is nice; lots of Colnago / Pinarello when I was there last time. You can also rent high end bikes if you want; I rented a C60 for a day (this was when the C60 had just come out, so a few years ago).

Keep in mind that the shop is not in Seattle proper; it is east of the city in the suburbs.

by 11.4

Element Cycles is loaded with high end equipment and very friendly staff, plus it's right on the Sammamish Trail so you have a flat paved route along a river to try bikes out on. They are on the far eastern side of the Seattle metropolitan area.

For high end or exotic equipment, they're probably the best. Gregg's, Montlake, and others simply don't carry that much high end stuff any more and what they have tends to be generic. Il Vecchio is closed, as pointed out above, as is Elliot Bay Cycles, both of which could always be counted on for bling stuff. A number of other shops have come and gone.

One of the best (or actually two of the best) shops in the region will be found on Bainbridge Island. Go downtown, take the Bainbridge ferry (about 35 minutes, leaving every half hour or so most of the day) and Classic Cycles is right by the ferry head on the Bainbridge side. Bainbridge Cycles is about a half mile away. They're very good shops.

If you're looking for Assos, I'd do Element. They stock a fair bit. If you only have time for one bike shop visit (and bear in mind that Seattle is spread out and slow to get around in) I'd go for Element. No question.

bilwit

by bilwit

I got my Teammachine from Element! Never worked out why the gave me a free CeramicSpeed BB with it but I think they regretted the build since they didn't want to work with me in getting a custom build for the Roadmachine afterwards and I had to go to a different dealer :lol: Haven't spent much time there but I have to say that I found it funny that the guys that worked there didn't know anything about places like Majorca or pro cycling in general but that seems to be the case with most shops and cyclists around here (only interested in the amateur league they race in). That said, they do carry noticeably a lot more high-end stuff and brands than places like Veloshop downtown, Cascade Bicyling Studio in Fremont, Gregg's in Bellevue/Greenlake, etc.

It's in Redmond rather than Seattle proper but it's attached to a trail that goes all the way up Lake Washington and around to Seattle (~70kms pan flat between there and University of Washington). They also opened the bike path over the 520 bridge that can be taken across the two which is about half that distance and the Lake Sammish trail is around there too so lots of nice easy riding accessible from that shop.

Never been inside Metier but their club jersey looks pretty cool and I always see their group rides going the other direction on my way home to work.

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the feedbacks!!

I have been today to Métier. Nice place to have a coffee and have a look at some bikes (C60, C64,....; 3T Strada, S-Works Tarmac disc, Factor, Cervélo R3,...), Assos and PNS clothes. Some potential customers were there also; quite MAMIL. And a Rapha RCC Wiggings old biker with a Dogma.

Anyway better than Starbucks for having a coffee. And I was pleased to see the new C64 (with EPS, Bora but Enve stem and handlebars...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

TonyM wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:46 am
Thanks for the feedbacks!!

I have been today to Métier. Nice place to have a coffee and have a look at some bikes (C60, C64,....; 3T Strada, S-Works Tarmac disc, Factor, Cervélo R3,...), Assos and PNS clothes. Some potential customers were there also; quite MAMIL. And a Rapha RCC Wiggings old biker with a Dogma.

Anyway better than Starbucks for having a coffee. And I was pleased to see the new C64 (with EPS, Bora but Enve stem and handlebars...)
the metier racers are pretty legit. and the mechanics also definitely know what they are doing.