Cycling in Houston, Tx....

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

grahus

by grahus

I am going to Houston, Tx for an extended period, I think I'll be based near Mem Park....

What is cycling like in/around the city?
Is it better to take the bike outside the city before getting on for a ride?
How do you handle to heat/humidity on hours lasting several hours?

I am mostly interested in answers related to road biking, but are there any good MBT areas close by?

Any other tips for the region?
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

Houston has an excellent cycling scene! It has something for everyone. There are great tails at Memorial for MTB. There are trails in Houston and the surrounding area. Road cycling scene is excellent. There are Group rides 3-4 nights out of the week around the Memmorial park area that you can ride your bike to. Granted it is a night/city ride so you need to get use to that. There are fast and furious rides. And there are moderate pace rides. Whatever you choose. Plenty of LBS as well. On The Weeknd, there are awesome rides all over town. Drive and hour from Houston and there are plenty of climbing.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

You will cook in the summer but you’ll get use to it. Houston has year round riding. Even in the winter season people are riding.

AJS914

by AJS914

A pal does the group ride scene. It's very flat. He says that a freeway overpass counts as a hill!

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:15 am
A pal does the group ride scene. It's very flat. He says that a freeway overpass counts as a hill!
Haha! Yes! An overpass is a hill in the City. But how fast you go over the overpass is the question. Drive an hour from Houston and there are some serious hills. Drive 2.5 to Austin and their hills are considered mountains to Houstonians.

There are so many groups and organized rides year round. You will find a place to fit in easily.

C36

by C36

Left Houston for Colombia just when I was restarting road bike, definitively a lot of different groups either very early for short rides or later in the evening for longers ones especially getting into the hot season.
Within Houston it's an absolute pancake so was not surprise to see deep profile wheels, but was more surprise to see so many disc brakes (with little rationality when you speak to the owners but that another topic).
Many companies have a corporate team (Schlumberger and anadarko had but sure a lot more exist).
Finally you have a two day "race" the MS150 this year sponsored by BP http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/ ... 6&pg=entry but you might be short for this year, it's last week of April if I recall properly.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

grahus

by grahus

Thanks for all the replies, looks like there will be plenty to keep me occupied, although coming from Scotland, I'm going to miss the climbing on my doorstep!
Bikes:

MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

ms6073

by ms6073

C36 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am
Finally you have a two day "race" the MS150 this year sponsored by BP
Exactly who is one racing in the states largest and most expensive t-shirt ride? :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:20 pm
C36 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am
Finally you have a two day "race" the MS150 this year sponsored by BP
Exactly who is one racing in the states largest and most expensive t-shirt ride? :lol:
The BPMS150 is a good thing. Gets new people into cycling. Makes cycling awareness even greater. That’s what we need in this sport. It’s a fun weekend to hang out with the guys.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

grahus wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:25 am
Thanks for all the replies, looks like there will be plenty to keep me occupied, although coming from Scotland, I'm going to miss the climbing on my doorstep!
Climbing is non-existent in town except for overpasses. Pending your fitness level, go on the Smack Down ride in town. Tues and Thursday nights. They run over a few overpasses fairly quickly. This will take care of your climbing itch.

But plenty of climbing around Houston and surrounding areas. Just gotta make friends that knows what’s up.

TonyM

by TonyM

Or use your smart trainer for the hills.
They are some apps with climbs in their database.

grahus

by grahus

Can you recommend a couple of Cycle Clubs or LBS I can check out where I can find out more about the scene when I get there?
Bikes:

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

grahus wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am
Can you recommend a couple of Cycle Clubs or LBS I can check out where I can find out more about the scene when I get there?
Man. Houston has way too many LBS’s and Clubs to try and list. Here are the notable ones.

LBS near you:
Urban Bicycle Gallery- Great People and Club.
West End Bikes
Bicycle Speed Shop
Shama Cycles
Bike Barn
Blue Line

Clubs:
North West Cycling Club
South West Cycling Club

Night City Rides in your area:
West End Ride
Smack Down
Blue Line
Nite Bike
Lite Bike
Urban Bicycle Gallery

Pretty much all the LBS’s have their own ride schedules. Try a few out. Find a place where you fit in. If you don’t do night city rides, it’ll take a little to get used too. There are also city weekend morning rides too and rides out in the suburbs.

grahus

by grahus

@MomentumR5...thank you for the info. That should get me started at least :)
Bikes:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grahus

by grahus

@MomentumR5...I was in Houston last week for a short visit and checked out both West End Bikes and Blue Line Bike Lab, both fantastic places and really helpful. Thanks for the heads up.
Bikes: