Where to Live in Europe?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mr. and Mrs. Gib will soon start spending summers in Europe. Easy access to a variety of excellent cycling routes is our first priority. My question is what town?

I know of some amazing places in the middle of nowhere, but they are too small. For several months of living a substantial town or city will be needed, but that still provides great cycling. Girona comes to mind but where else should I consider?

The plan is to rent a house and "live the life". Would be nice if in addition to great cycling right out the door, there was easy train access to other nearby regions. Would rather not rent a car but that is not a deal breaker.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 am
Mr. and Mrs. Gib will soon start spending summers in Europe. Easy access to a variety of excellent cycling routes is our first priority. My question is what town?
For me that would be close to Albertville in France - maybe the little village of Mercury. Close to Geneva - Close to the Italian border and all great climbs close to you. ( Madelleine - Galibier - Col de Croix de Fer - Col de la Forclaz ) and many more There is a cyclepath from Albertville to Annecy if the wife doesn't fancy to ride on the roads also used by cars.

Only 2 things :

* Lac d'Annecy is populair during summer also for cyclists - not that crazy like the Alpe D'Huez area.
* La cuissiene Francais is not my kind of style for all day - maybe Italian food is a bit better also.

TonyM

by TonyM

Look first at the rides you would like to do in terms of elevation etc.... and then choose the region and city depending on your lifestyle.

Do you fluently speak French, Italian or German?

BTW you can eat Italian cuisine in France (the opposite is not true). No obligation to go for a *, ** or *** michelin everyday 🤪 but once a while it is definitely a nice reward...

urt

by urt

Pietrasanta of the Apuan Alps and close to one of the best beaches in Italy.
works in the industry

micky

by micky

First you need to point out what are your priorities; is a small village ok? Need an airport near by? Snow in winter is a problem? And so on.
Plenty of options really.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

western europe is so passe. try Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Rep (I believe Adam Hansen still lives there), heck - even Poland. of course if you're looking to have all the monumental grand tour routes in your backyard, and fancy those pellet-size chef-made dishes around every corner, there's a chance you'll be slightly disappointed. but if you're looking for something more than fulfilling a travel agency prospect, go for it. or at least visit for a week or two. as for riding - there's more than plenty exciting options, and probably not enough time to cover them during a single season.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018-qu ... urvey.html

Just gonna throw this one out there... :wink:

nachetetm

by nachetetm

I always find funny when someone, usually from across "the pond", talks about Europe like some homogeneous entity that can be consider as a whole.
We are talking about dozens of countries, with an even bigger number of different languages, cuisines, cultures and governments that are very different to each other. So it will be good to know if the OP speaks other language apart from english (many countries are far from proficient in english, and couldn't care less about it), if it is happy living in a more "messy" environment or rates highly the "northern organization", if it wants a mediterranean weather or if it's not bothered with rain and cold.
If mountain climbs are a priority, then it's better to choose a place close to the Alps or the Pyrenees: Spain, France, Italy, Austria or Switzerland. The two last of these countries speak good English, the other three not so.
From my own personal experience, Girona and Alicante (specially around Denia, but not only) are hot spots for professional team training for a reason. The weather is nice and sunny, prices affordable and mountain climbs are in riding distance. Easy access to big cities, good transport infrastructure, alive and populated areas are a plus, but they can be too busy in summer months.
These are my suggestions, but again, some extra info would be always good to narrow down other alternatives.
Cheers

Rondje

by Rondje

Looked at Lucca? I loved it when I was there, didn't have the chance to ride my bike but it's in Tuscany, close to the beaches, close to the hills and the Tuscan roads and you have Pisa airport nearby. It's, of course, a tourist attraction but when I was there (end of June) it wasn't really crowdy, nothing like Siena, Florence, Pisa, San Gimignano, etc.

Westbank

by Westbank

I would say that Girona is a no brainer. Great weather, great roads, great climbs and almost no trafic. The Drivers/motorists are highly respectful towards cyclists. The coffee, the food and the vibe is hard to beat.

You could also look for Tossa De Mar if you would like a place near the coast. It's close to Girona and you have an easy access to beautiful beaches.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

nachetetm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:46 am
I always find funny when someone, usually from across "the pond", talks about Europe like some homogeneous entity that can be consider as a whole.
but don't we tend to think the same about USA or North America in general? 8)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Attermann

by Attermann

wrong post

TonyM

by TonyM

There are definitely more differences within Europe (the definition of Europe itself....) than in North America. Mainly due to the much longer history of Europe compared to US/ CDN.

I like the idea of Eastern Europe for the OP but no TdF/Giro/ Vuelta routes there. And in general the quality of the hospital etc... is below the standards in Wester Europe. I would not discard this point when biking on roads etc....

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Stolichnaya wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018-qu ... urvey.html

Just gonna throw this one out there... :wink:
Meanwhile, a study done by a source NOT pitching for business in Vienna
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best ... 9bl8vlpl38
:noidea: BUt Im sure we both agree a "best city" is a pointless as a "best bike".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

There is definitely a need for such a survey/ study but for cyclists about cycling!

That would be very interesting to know where cyclists feel the best quality of biking.