how to deal with cramping?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

i have a century coming up this sunday. 100 miles with 5.7K ft of elevation. not uberly steep.. just one little challenging climb after 90 miles that avg 9-10%.

i haven't ridden much this year due to our 3rd baby and past couple weekends rides, i've had bad cramps... the kind that make your legs and toes straight as hell and your seeing muscles popping out of your quads that you never knew existed type of pain.

i know it's not sure exactly what causes cramping.. but i heard from other mates i ride with that they take raw honey (messy during rides), TUMS, sportsleg or saltstick. one tried EPO-Boost and claims it works for him.

would like to hear what you've tried before that worked for you. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

I find quinine can help. I do a bit of windsurfing which sometimes gives me bad cramp.

I try to drink a load of tonic water before I go on the water which definitely helps as it contains quinine.

AJS914

by AJS914

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm
i know it's not sure exactly what causes cramping..
My understanding is that the recent science indicates that cramping is purely a lack of fitness for the load being placed on the body.

dim

by dim

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 pm
addictR1 wrote:
My understanding is that the recent science indicates that cramping is purely a lack of fitness for the load being placed on the body.
not true

I'm fit but I find that when I do a long hard ride, I sometimes get cramps in my calve (right hand calve) (always at night whilst sleeping after the ride)

not enough electolites, but what I have started using is a home made drink that I found on another forum:

juice of an orange
juice of a lemon
1/2 a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
2 tablespoons or organic maple syrup
top up with coconut water

I make enough to fill a 750ml waterbottle, and use it on rides of over 100Km

since using this, no more cramps

so.... you need electolites (even if you use the tablets that you dissolve in your water bottle)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

addictR1

by addictR1

yea i'll be bringing electrolytes for sure to take along the way.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Even though it has a questionable reputation I find Gatorade works very well for me, and coconut water. There's a certain mix of sodium and potassium that seems to work well in different levels for different people. I never cramp when cycling though, only endurance swimming.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

dim wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 pm
addictR1 wrote:

when I do a long hard ride
These 2 responses are congruent - a long hard ride by definition is not a normal stress.

My understanding of the evidence in this area also suggests that in controlled experiments, no interventions (electrolytes, etc.) modify cramping, and that AJS is correct - although to be more precise, it is not necessarily lack of fitness, but engaging in exertion that it outside your norm.

Also, on a side note, quinine has a black box warning due to its association with life threatening arrythmias! Although this is the pill form, not the very small amounts in tonic water.

AJS914

by AJS914

In case anyone is interested Trevor Connor of the Velonews Fast Talk podcast did a whole episode on cramping.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/trainin ... ked_446593

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

packet of yellow mustard.. stuff works
Pickle Juice shot also helpful
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

addictR1

by addictR1

ok, picked up a tube of NUUN, a packet of OSIM and sportsleg. hopefully that'll do.. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com