Looking for opinions on Scicon AeroComfort 2.0 (or other bike bags)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

I am going to be in Paris for about 10 weeks this summer, and want to take my bike with me (from the US). I have been looking at different bike cases, and the Scicon seems to stand out for its good user reviews and relative cost compared to some other options.

Anyone here use one? What are your thoughts; worth the money or no?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I've had one for several years, and used it on many trips. For me, it has been worth every penny. From the moment you begin to unpack it until swinging your leg over the top tube takes so little time and effort. If you have the money, I can't recommend it highly enough.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

bdb

by bdb

Same - I sold my 2.0 and upgraded to a 3.0 for thru axle compatibility - I fly with my bike about 5-6 times per year, and this is the best case I've had.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Have you considered the BIKND Helium 4 bag? Well made, can take two sets of wheels.
http://biknd.com/en/products/bike-travel-case/heliumv4

Which Scicon bag are you considering, the hardshell or soft?

[Ouch... just edited my post above... where I meant to say "can" take two sets of wheels, I had inadvertently type "cant" originally... complete opposite.]
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jlok

by jlok

It's a bike bag leaning heavily to ease of use and less protective than hard case.

The wheels are freaking smooth like having the placebo effect of ceramic bearings. It's easy to pack and the only things I remove from the bike are wheels and rear derailleur.

I've been to Taiwan with it and my bike's shifters took hits and I need to reposition them. Lukily the bar didn't break. Then the wheels almost got detached from the base and I used Loctite to fix it. I lost the rear thru-axle spacer and you know how much Scicon's asking price for that piece of spacer? €59,00 (€19,00 the ring + €40,00 shipping to Asia from Europe).

Anyway, I still like the bag. Just start praying when you checkin.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

fa63

by fa63

Calnago wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:37 am
Have you considered the BIKND Helium 4 bag? Well made, cant take two sets of wheels.
http://biknd.com/en/products/bike-travel-case/heliumv4

Which Scicon bag are you considering, the hardshell or soft?
I am looking at the softshell Scicon bag. I haven't checked out Biknd as it is a bit pricier than I would like, but it seems like a nice case indeed.
jlok wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 am
Anyway, I still like the bag. Just start praying when you checkin.
Haha, that is great advice.

Someone also mentioned the Orucase which I had never heard of before; it requires more disassembly (which I don't mind at all) but it looks like it might let me avoid the airline fees ($150 each way with Delta). And it is about the same price as the Scicon Aerocomfort.
Last edited by fa63 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

boysa

by boysa

I just had a look at Orucase since I had not heard of them before. It certainly requires a lot more dissasembly. With my Sci Con, I only remove the wheels. Nothing else, not even pedals. Of course, if you say it isn't a big deal, then I think you have more options. I tend to tweak my setup so much, once I have it dialed in I am loathe to make any other changes. At least until I WANT to make changes! But typically I'm traveling to/from races, so I don't want to fiddle around last-minute.

As for fees, it's a crapshoot. If they find out you have a bike, you are most likely paying. I've avoided it here and there by smiling and begging and through blind luck, but if they ask you if you have a bike, you are stuck.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

dmp

by dmp

A big thumbs up for the Orucase. The first trip (DEN to TLV) paid for the case in saved charges. No questions asked at the counter (and I had to pay for the previous 2 trips with a Pika Packworks). It is deceptively protective, and I am not worried about damage. The additional disassembly is really minimal- its just taking the fork out, which takes a couple of minutes at most. It is certainly harder to get everything to fit right, but once you learn how to do it its pretty easy.

bdb

by bdb

Benefit of flying with Alaska - bike is charged the same now as a case - $25, and with the Alaska card I get a free bag. so haven't paid to bring my bike on a plane in about a year.

robertbb

by robertbb

I just bought a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 Road. Will be using it in 3 weeks, to travel to Israel from Australia.. I'm competing in the GFNY Jerusalem, followed by some Giro viewing.

It sure looks and feels like a great bag. I bought it because of ease of packing, and once my bars and stem are locked in on my bikes I am loathe to have to remove and re-attach them. My only concern is if the shifters take hits. I'm going to pack it this weekend and experiment with adding a lot of bubble wrap around the bars and across the top of the bag to absorb any impact.

It's a 24 hour transit from Melbourne to Jerusalem. That's a long time to be stuck in prayer :lol:

dmp

by dmp

Robert, I really, really wanted to go for the GF and Giro prologue in Israel- can't make it back this year until November, and I'm in too poor shape for the GF right now (the hills are killers there! I've ridden much of that route, and the hills up to Nes Harim and Bar Giora have places where the gradients are considerably steeper than they show on that map). Have a great time and good luck with the ride!

One other benefit I found with the Orucase is that its size makes it easy to fit in a small car- a real benefit in places like Israel or Europe. I really struggled with my previous case and a hard shell case is nearly impossible.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

I have been using Scion for quite a few years with lots of traveling / flights..

They work well.. super easy and quick pack / unpack..

Used to have issues with the wheels but i think they have fixed that.

wheels are big deal to me .
Being able to roll it,carry my bags and cover ground is imortant.. There are other bags for sure but for me the Scicon has been good. make sure you can roll whatever you get ..

ojoba

by ojoba

Hello!

I have an Aerocomfort 2 Road. I would like to fit into a thru axle frame.
Do you have any idea how to do it? I am not really know what should i need.
Do you suggest any thru axle adapter (front and rear ) or smth?

Thak You!

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I’ve got an older Aerocomfort, it’s made the trip from US to Australia as well as Europe, without issue in the last few years. The newer versions look like they’ve improved the packing and wheels. Great system especially with the ease of use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I had one but sold it after a year and only two or three trips. Upon returning from a training camp in Mallorca I discovered my bars cracked nearly the whole way round. The neanderthals in baggage 'handling' don't give a toss about the property they're chucking around, just watch the videos. Hard case only for me from now on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com