Rapha Core?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

Like most of Rapha's stuff - overpriced.

Buy Pearl Izumi elite or pro level stuff off Amazon. It's good stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

Personal opinion obviously, but the PI stuff is all kind of ugly. It fits in this weird middle-ground of designs like Assos and Castelli where it's not plain, conservative and understated like the majority of the Rapha lines and it's not interesting, loud, creative and out there like a MAAP, pedal mafia, etc.

How high the quality of the kit is doesn't really matter to people who don't like the appearance.

robertbb

by robertbb

I would have agreed with you on the previous season.

Have a look at the 2018. Elite Pursuit SPD, elite Escape etc... simple and visible. The below doesn't have pics of the rear but you can find online if you look.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Elit ... B074JQ38VV

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Sele ... QQJQB&th=1

(Sorry if posting links isn't allowed...)

wingguy

by wingguy

Gearjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:12 am
Plus one on the short jersey length.

Is a bit warmer than some jerseys though, so not as good for really hot days.
Same on both. I'm a M in Castelli, but the M core jersey is too baggy on me. The small fits but is really short, the pockets sit super high and are kinda hard to reach (though I have dislocated both my shoulders a few times so I'm not as good at scratching my back as I used to be :P ). It's def quite a heavy material. Good for this time of year when it's not quite cold enough for a jacket but I wouldn't wear it on a hot day, or even a mild day with any intense efforts planned.

I got it because they did the cool as *f##k* Rapha-Canyon-Sram womens pro team colours on it, but wouldn't buy another. The build quality seems very good and it the thicker material is soft and comfortable, so may well be fine for chunkier physiques and steadier riding styles. Thin people who ride hard should look elsewhere.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I was almost to order this Core bundle, but thanks for your reviews and I'll pass it. Price wasn't bad but if jersey is baggy I already know I would not like it . Also I don't want sponsor Rapha's massive advertising department and "fashion" producers are not my thing.

Probably I'll just test out La Passiones new PSN collection bibshort and jersey. Pad should be more complex, ergonomic and designed for longer rides and jerseys desing looks good with race cut.

Wookski

by Wookski

The only waffa kit worth owning is pro team bibs + midweight jerseys and classic ii jerseys in the LE black on black colourway. I have been through dozens of their bibs, jerseys, jackets, gilets, warmers, gloves, baselayers etc etc. Core is too much of a compromise- very cheap material and construction with quite large sizing aimed at fatties.

Anyway, do yourself a favour and look at Assos, Q36.5 or even Pas Normal instead. Much better quality, cut and fit with the benefit of not looking like a jackass.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Wearing PNS = the epitome of looking like a jackass

Wookski

by Wookski

tonytourist wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am
Wearing PNS = the epitome of looking like a jackass
It’s like waffa for dudes who can rub a few $ together! Scandinavian style > British style

peted76

by peted76

I've a few go to rapha bits, and purchased a "stannard" core jersey not long after they first came out.. unfortunatley although it 'looks great' it's 1x material construction doesn't scream quality to me. I just don't wear it much. I've not been minded to try the bibs after that.

tomycs

by tomycs

I bought the same short sleeve shirt as well, was actually surprised how thick it was (and tight :-) ) but I do like it a lot. Also like the Rapha aero long sleeve jerseys, either with or without baselayer for spring/autumn. That's about it though. For everything else I've found better vfm and fit with Endura, Sportful, Pearl Izumi.
wingguy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 pm

I got it because they did the cool as *f##k* Rapha-Canyon-Sram womens pro team colours on it, but wouldn't buy another. The build quality seems very good and it the thicker material is soft and comfortable, so may well be fine for chunkier physiques and steadier riding styles. Thin people who ride hard should look elsewhere.
Last edited by tomycs on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Just to say, that (above) is a misquote: I didn't post that...

tomycs

by tomycs

Yep. Sorry abt that. Corrected :-)
Gearjunkie wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 pm
Just to say, that (above) is a misquote: I didn't post that...

bilwit

by bilwit

wingguy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Same on both. I'm a M in Castelli, but the M core jersey is too baggy on me. The small fits but is really short, the pockets sit super high and are kinda hard to reach (though I have dislocated both my shoulders a few times so I'm not as good at scratching my back as I used to be :P ). It's def quite a heavy material. Good for this time of year when it's not quite cold enough for a jacket but I wouldn't wear it on a hot day, or even a mild day with any intense efforts planned.

I had the exact same experience with the core longsleeve. I don't mind the relaxed fit since that's what their "core" line is supposed to be but the absurdly short torso & high pockets is unforgivable. I found the only jersey Rapha makes that is a good (actually quite excellent) fit is their aero jersey in small but I'm trying to steer clear of Rapha stuff atm

RyanH

by RyanH

None of their new stuff fits except maybe the just released aero line. I used to only wear Rapha and despite the sneers around here, I think they're extremely good value. I just offloaded most of my Rapha bibs and I'd say they probably had over 5k miles each on them and they looked fine. I can't say that about many other kit I've purchased. But, their new line just doesn't fit properly so I've been looking elsewhere.

Now that I've begun dabbling in other bibs, I realized that the Rapha bibs tend to sit low and catch the nose of the saddle and the crotch area has a lot of room while riding unlike Assos. So, i too think I'm done with Rapha unfortunately.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com