Cycling near Carlsbad, California or Vegas

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I am out on business and may be able to squeeze a couple of days out of my visit to ride. Most likely Sunday 22nd and Monday 23rd April.

I can be in either Vegas or Carlsbad.

Does anyone have any recommendations in club / training rides I might be able to join for either day.

If not, any recommendations on routes would be good - say around 100km.

Will also need to hire a bike, so any ideas there also would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Not sure about Carlsbad, but around Vegas you can ride out at Red Rock Canyon. There's a big loop out there, that's pretty popular with road bikers. There's gotta be a bike shop in, or around the Vegas to rent a bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thanks - will take a look

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have ridden in the Carlsbad area. It is pretty good, especially if you get east and inland. The main roads all have bike lanes and I found the drivers to be reasonably respectful. In terms of routes, I used Strava to plot my rides. There is a big group ride that leaves from Encinatas area, google the Swami's ride. In terms of bike rental, there are lots of shops along the 101, I'm sure you can find someone to rent you a decent bike down there.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I'd much rather ride around San Diego, than Vegas. Never done a group ride out there, but ridden the coast, plenty of times. Again, check out STRAVA for routes, and grab some from there. I have a couple of friends that live over there, and they've always got somewhere to ride that kicks my butt!!

Try here, for a big Saturday ride.

http://www.sdbc.org/saturday/

bigfloor

by bigfloor

Red Rock Canyon around Las Vegas is nice. On the south of Las Vegas is a Giant bicycle store, where I rented a bike last Februari.
Great service, and an easy route from there to Red Rock.
Could also opt for Mount Charleston, if your in for a looooong climb. Did 2 rides there this year, first to Mount Charleston, second to Red Rock. Do bring some cash for Red Rock (3$ I think), for that you get a one-way street with new smooth tarmac.

Or go to the Boulder Dam, there is a big loop with tarmac cycleway from Las Vegas out.

Last year I was in San Diego as well, again on a rented Giant, and did a loop based on Strava climbs I fiound. Nice as well

You could also check with Meetup if there are any group rides

Las Vegas

Red Rock

Mount Charleston

For route planning, use Komoot (website & app for ios/android), it will give you the nicest roads to cycle on, and even tell you what kind of surface to expect

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Brilliant - thank you

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Red Rock was free once upon a time and there used to be an international race on that loop. Mt. Charleston is supposed to have the longest straightaway in the country.

There's also Valley of Fire and Blue Diamond.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com