Co-Motion Cycles - any opinions?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Looking for any opinions on Co-Motion Cycles, based out of Oregon, USA. I have a relative who wants my opinion and I had never heard of them. I think he found them because he is mostly wanting their "coupler" option which allows the frame to break down into an airline checkable case (i.e. regular baggage). I realize this is largely a Europe-oriented forum but perhaps someone on here has experience to share about Co-Motion or these "breakable" frames for travel. Thanks in advance.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I've had a Co-Motion racing tandem for about 15 years. I found them easy to deal with and the frame is very nicely made - it built up to about 17Kg for the complete bike including pedals and four waterbottles, which is pretty light for a tandem. I didn't get a coupled tandem frame, but I also have a touring bike with the S&S couplers (not from Co-Motion), and they work well also. I had the couplers retrofitted into an existing Litespeed titanium frame by Bilenky, and I can't detect any difference in the ride of the frame with the couplers to the way it rode before the couplers were added. The entire bike can be broken down into a case that fits within standard airline baggage dimensions - takes an hour or two for the packing and about the same time for the unpacking.

Nick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Thank you Nick. I will pass it along. Apparently there is a shop in Bangkok that sells Co-Motion so that's probably how he landed on them, plus wanting the coupler for travel. FYI cycling is really taking off in Thailand.

spud

by spud

if your man is looking for a coupled tandem, I'd look at Santana. They have by far the neatest coupling system (proprietary), you have to really look to find the parting lines. Nothing wrong with Co-motion, but Santana is a step up aesthetically, and likely mechanically.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Thanks @spud, that coupler technology looks cool, unfortunately my brother-in-law is not looking for a tandem, just a bike with couplers, and I think he's probably limiting himself to something he can check out in person in Bangkok, which may further limit it to Co-Motion (Happybike in Bangkok - awesome shop name!). He seems fixated on the "travel bike" concept (this is his first foray into the world of cycling as far as I know) and I have queried him on how often he intends to travel with it, what kind of riding, etc.

stormur

by stormur

Colleague of mine is a religious long distance/ backpacking rider. According to "his world" co-motion is very close to "holy grail" of long distance cycling. Sturdy, but made with very high precision. Definitely one of most regarded brands in the field. Kind of "wet dream" if you fly frequently.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com