Polishing headset to a super shiny finish

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I have a Chris King nothreadset that needs a damn good polish to get it nice and shiny. It's a silver finish. I've got a dremel with polisher attachment and some t-cut metal polish compound

Any suggestions for a super shiny finish?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Autosol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

campagowlo wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 pm
I have a Chris King nothreadset that needs a damn good polish to get it nice and shiny. It's a silver finish. I've got a dremel with polisher attachment and some t-cut metal polish compound

Any suggestions for a super shiny finish?
Remember that most polished finish parts are then clear anodized, which protects the surface from oxidation. If you polish the headset, you will find that the finish will dull over time (weeks or months depending on conditions). If you want to prevent that, you will want to put some sort of coating on it. If you don't coat it, it's not a big deal, as long as you don't mind giving it a quick touch up every so often, but if you want it to be a one-time thing, then you should coat it. Options would range from wax to clear laquer to reanodising it yourself. There are a couple DIY anodization threads on here and elsewhere.

For polishing there are a ton of compounds you could use. "Mothers" brand aluminum polish is often readily available and produces good results with just a few rags.
Last edited by TheKaiser on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks - I don't mind giving it a touch up once a week. Fairly pleased with the result so far.