Paint finishing help

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I’ve painted a fork with (4) coats color, lightly wet-sanded with 1500 grit, applied decals, then (2) light coats and (2) medium coats of glossy clear coat.

I’d like to reduce the decal edges and polish to a glossy finish, but I’m unsure on the best approach.

I’m considering wet-sanding to reduce the edges and texture overall, then polish to finish. Is this correct?

Do I have sufficient clear coat?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

You will struggle to get a flat glossy clearcoat with aerosol cans without extensive flatting back and polishing.

My opinion, you've still got quite a pronounced edge on the decal which tells me that your coats just weren't wet enough.

I would flat back carefully dry sanding to make sure you don't accidentally rub through. Just enough to key the surface. One light misting coat then two wet coats.

Once this is cured hopefully this will be enough for your to wet sand the orange peel flat with your 1500 and if you get get it 2000 and then use a cutting compound to polish it.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Thanks euan, appreciate the post.

glepore

by glepore

Excellent advice above.
You need finer than 1500 -final sanding with 2000. To really polish it it should be clamped in a fixture and hit with a rotary buffer and either a 3m or Meguier's product designed for that purpose. You can get an ok finish with hand polish but not killer.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record