Rapha Cycling Club?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I am wondering about the Rapha Cycling Club.
https://pages.rapha.cc/feature/the-rapha-cycling-club
GBP 135 per year.

Does anybody here belongs to it?
And what are the real advantages?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TonyM wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:39 am
Hi,

I am wondering about the Rapha Cycling Club.
https://pages.rapha.cc/feature/the-rapha-cycling-club
GBP 135 per year.

Does anybody here belongs to it?
And what are the real advantages?
you get heads up on some sales before the general public..and sometimes further discounts.
free coffee at the shops
zwift is discounted 1yr for the price of 10months
bike loan program.

might be some other stuff... but these are the useful ones to me. Wish I lived closer to RCCSFC... more free coffee would be good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

Yes. Melbourne.
Moving work places so going to be closer into the city. Don't do coffee though; so losing a lot of potential free cups there haha.
Recently new to city; so good fun to join.
It's all about the adventure :o .

Shrike

by Shrike

You can get the membership for under £135 with a little savvy. Ie. buy a bundle (20% off) then use the new customer code for 15% of the jersey part of the bundle. If you don't want the jersey just sell it on eBay and after all is said and done you're probably left with around £70 to £80 for the membership.

Missus joined recently for the bike hire, coffee and club rides when travelling and the clothes. She's grabbed a couple of pieces that really do look the part.

Not sure how to activate the Zwift discount to be honest, but was able to setup the RCC jersey in game.

They have a new app getting launched soon which will will do a better job of connecting people who aren't based in Clubhouse locales. Actually they have a lot of new stuff happening this year, they put out an email about it recently.

Personally I thought the RCC thing was just a bit elitist and maybe even wanky, but now know a few people who're in it and it's just not the case. There are loads of solid down to earth people who're just looking for a base to connect with other riders. It's suits a sort of person who may not feel like their local club is a great fit, as a lot of local clubs are a bit insular, as you'd expect. It's nice to have something international and welcoming the world over. Quite revolutionary, and it's always running events. Easy to throw shade at because of the upmarket image but they've done an incredible thing when you think about it.

For me though, no value in it yet. Yes they do get early sale access, but not always, like Black Friday they didn't I saw some complain about on the RCC forum. And they do get an RCC discount at the end of sales, but most of the decent stuff/sizes is gone by then anyway. So not sure I'd do it for cheaper kit. If I was travelling between cities and wanted the bike hire then yes, that would be brilliant - the online booking system (your Rapha web account gets instantly updated with access to hidden forums and booking systems when you join) is dead nice and easy to use. Just pick dates, size of bike, RIM/Disc version and bottom bracket to saddle height (so they can setup before arrival) and that's it. Pay when arrive.

I do think the kit looks class, might grab an RCC aero jersey when the new redesigned aero kit comes in this March/April. Fake RCC'er! Muahaha :)

Oh, as an aside. Missus said they were noticeably friendlier to her when she said she was an RCC member at the counter and was getting her lunch and free coffee. Read that whichever way you like.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Although I don't like Rapha all that much, I would say you should go for it. At my last wrenching job I worked one block away from Rapha Cycling Club San Francisco. We did all the mechanical work on their Canyon fleet. Very often we would tune the bikes and keep them at our shop. The members that were visiting from another state or country would come pick them up at our shop to begin their ride. They always seemed very happy, and pleased with the service they were getting from Rapha. When applicable they would attempt to get the fit numbers from the member ahead of time and we would set the bike up accordingly.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

micky

by micky

I was considering it as well these days but it seems mostly worth for people who travel often to major cities.

wobbly

by wobbly

How much is the bike hire when you are a member?

Shrike

by Shrike

$25 or £15 per day

tomee

by tomee

in the early years you would get free express shipping on all orders. Think they got rid of that

IchDien

by IchDien

micky wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am
I was considering it as well these days but it seems mostly worth for people who travel often to major cities.
I've always found it odd they've only ever toyed with having a store in Milan. However, there really doesn't appear to be a market for Rapha in Italy I hardly ever see anyone wearing it. In all my time in Italy I've seen people wearing it on the road twice.

robertbb

by robertbb

IchDien wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 am
micky wrote:
I've always found it odd they've only ever toyed with having a store in Milan. However, there really doesn't appear to be a market for Rapha in Italy I hardly ever see anyone wearing it. In all my time in Italy I've seen people wearing it on the road twice.
Probably because Rapha is overpriced garbage, and in Italy there is a lot of quality if you know which brands to buy.

IchDien

by IchDien

robertbb wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 am
IchDien wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 am
micky wrote:
Probably because Rapha is overpriced garbage, and in Italy there is a lot of quality if you know which brands to buy.

micky

by micky

:lol:

Anyway same experience here, only seen twice and I think it was the same guy!

Tugboat

by Tugboat

I've been a member for the last 3 years and plan to continue. No clubhouse in my country either. The social aspect is great and the perception of snobbery is a myth in my experience. I've met nothing but welcoming people through the club across several countries. The ethos very much now on encouraging people to get out and enjoy their riding.

I've used the bike hire in London and that was the smoothest experience in the world. Wandered into the Soho store and the bike was already set up to my measurements. Just needed to put my pedals on and it was ready to go. Longest delay was the friendly guys who worked there wanting to chat and share a tonne of tips on good places to ride.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

Tugboat wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm
I've been a member for the last 3 years and plan to continue. No clubhouse in my country either. The social aspect is great and the perception of snobbery is a myth in my experience. I've met nothing but welcoming people through the club across several countries. The ethos very much now on encouraging people to get out and enjoy their riding.
:beerchug:
Tugboat wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm
I've used the bike hire in London and that was the smoothest experience in the world. Wandered into the Soho store and the bike was already set up to my measurements. Just needed to put my pedals on and it was ready to go. Longest delay was the friendly guys who worked there wanting to chat and share a tonne of tips on good places to ride.
:lol: .
It's all about the adventure :o .