Poseur Test!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Which of the following identifies you?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Not a Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, nor wear fancy kit, and I'll drop your ass never the less
17%
Micro Poseur - I clearly have a name brand tall sock collection, but I don't ride or wear anything fancy
14%
Total Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, everything is stealth black, and I think I could be photographed for the Rapha website
35%
Pro Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, but I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
No votes
Super Pro Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, and I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
1%
Mega Pro Poseur - I ride a Pro Team bike, I wear Pro team Kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
3%
Mary Mother of God Super Pro Poseur - I have Chris Froome's bike, wear team Sky kits and hot damn, I (think :roll: ) I look the part
2%
Fancy Poseur - Any sub-set or combination of Poseurism - Your know who you are Buddy!!
22%
King of All Poseurs - All hail the King - Buy me a muffin at the Coffee Shop!! Make that Two Muffins for @Calnago
6%

Total votes: 88

dgasmd

by dgasmd

And just like that this thread went from poseur to “Eurocyclist infractions” in no time at all

TonyM

by TonyM

beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 am
TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:57 am
"Made for Cervelo designer's wife aka Unicorn"

Sorry....More looser than poseur!

Chain on big - big

And there is a fine difference between a red colour note on the bike (good) and this red chain links, red crankset bolts and chainrings - together with brakes with gold colour....and the two bottles with different colours :shock:

Not sure if Cervelo has the best Designer in terms of colours and taste.... :mrgreen:
TonyM is so weird.

Bikes and owners were posted as examples of Weight Weenieism out in the wild.

The poseur part is all about me. Gold tipped shoes, yo!

Yes and these Gold tipped shoes are gorgeous ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 am
And just like that this thread went from poseur to “Eurocyclist infractions” in no time at all

And soon the Ardennes Classics.. :thumbup: ....One of the roots of road cycling....

I do however see the big gap between Europe and the US in terms of road cycling indeed.... :shock:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

spdntrxi wrote: I know of a couple girls with not all that different of a physique that would probably ride away from you...
The person on the bike is part of the poseur equation. FWIW I ride with a lot of elite women (world champs, olympic medalists, and just some average pros), and the ones that can ride away ain't built like like that - they're hard as nails. Spent decades coaching and athletes just don't stand like that.
spdntrxi wrote: BIG-BIG is pro.
Big- big is only pro when it is needed to avoid a risky front derailleur shift. At all other times its a sign of the clueless, accept for those true poseurs who read about big-big being pro but are unaware of the appropriate situational application. But in this case, like I said, this isn't a poseur, this is a novice.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Mr. Gib, to paraphrase someone's sig (relating to you, in fact), you don't know what you're talking about. Especially the part about cross chaining.

TonyM

by TonyM

Mr.Gib wrote:
spdntrxi wrote: I know of a couple girls with not all that different of a physique that would probably ride away from you...
The person on the bike is part of the poseur equation. FWIW I ride with a lot of elite women (world champs, olympic medalists, and just some average pros), and the ones that can ride away ain't built like like that - they're hard as nails. Spent decades coaching and athletes just don't stand like that.
spdntrxi wrote: BIG-BIG is pro.
Big- big is only pro when it is needed to avoid a risky front derailleur shift. At all other times its a sign of the clueless, accept for those true poseurs who read about big-big being pro but are unaware of the appropriate situational application. But in this case, like I said, this isn't a poseur, this is a novice.

+1

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

You ride in whatever gear combination works . I remember early last season (not sure of the race ) valverde dropping everyone climbing on his big ring ( big big) Pantani blasting up alp d Huez on his big ring . Contador preferred for a lot of his attacks to stay in the big ring when others went small.

“That’s pro “ ideology, thinking is BS . You do what is best for you personally just as pro riders do.
Now we have a pro team using single chain ring bikes . This will be the way to go for a lot of teams . With bigger cassettes and better rear mechs coping with bigger jumps that seems like one innovation that actually makes sense but like all things some riders will still prefer climbing on their small ring because it works for them.
So in the future will some of you be saying “small is not pro”

dolophonic

by dolophonic

TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:45 pm

I don’t think I will ever been able to cope with this crazy sock mania among US cyclist!

I am too european and for us road cycling is about esthetics. Ok a little bit crazy when you are a racer but such socks are just a no-go for us traditional road cyclists.

And this pink colour ??...well only guys like Cippolini with lot of testosterone can wear that. Not politically correct but this look too g*y!

Rapha is definitely a brand for poseur only.
Mate you have some real issues... :lol:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

TonyM wrote:Image

I don’t think I will ever been able to cope with this crazy sock mania among US cyclist!

I am too european and for us road cycling is about esthetics. Ok a little bit crazy when you are a racer but such socks are just a no-go for us traditional road cyclists.

And this pink colour ??...well only guys like Cippolini with lot of testosterone can wear that. Not politically correct but this look too g*y!

Rapha is definitely a brand for poseur only.
Ummmm... lol.Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

coriordan

by coriordan

Bright socks, shoes & pink clothing has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality. When pink and blue where first considered as colours to identify gender, pink was for boys and blue for girls.

Not sure where you are from in Europe but in the UK, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium (places I've spend a degree of time in), pink would definitely not have any connotations of homosexuality.

Brighter is definitely better. If you want to know what poseurs are wearing, look at Instagram, and I mean that in a good way. I wish I lived somewhere hotter so I could justify a wardrobe full of psychedelic colours. The best functioning winter kit is generally pretty bland.

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:
Not sure if Cervelo has the best Designer in terms of colours and taste.... :mrgreen:
Maybe she know's Godzuki?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

853guy

by 853guy

Really enjoying this thread.

Stating the obvious is usually considered to be pretty redundant, but since stating the obvious is a speciality of mine, I’ll do it anyway. The poll is entitled “Which of the following identifies you” - ‘you’ being the operative word. My read is that this is a thread in which the poster identifies themselves along a continuum of poseur-hood, rather than rate, judge or be openly disparaging of someone else.

Yes, some people will choose aesthetic statements that will inevitably not be to our taste - that’s a given. It’s also a given that some will have disposable income that exceeds their fitness level by some margin. However, in both cases, it would seem pertinent to consider that people’s taste usually changes over time, as does their physique, cardio and strength. Some will be venturing into cycling for the first time, or returning to cycling after a long absence, or in recovery from injury - dropping someone on a climb is a metric of relative merit, and even then, only a single data point. The fact is there will be 60+ year-olds in my village who I’m sure could school me on how to ride the hills around here on 531 lugged frames wearing sandals, but right now, despite that, I’m enjoying riding more than ever.

Does enjoyment count? I hope so. Surely anyone on a bike because they enjoy it in a world in which our sport’s “heroes” have consisted of pathological liars, cheaters, dopers, bullies and Class A recreational drug takers should be applauded for simply getting out there and riding.

Personally I’m glad this thread has brought to light there are some fellow cyclists out there who enjoy looking “cool” (or at least, enjoy thinking they look cool), don’t beat themselves up over their fitness, and/or at the very least, are able to laugh at themselves.

Best,

853guy

coriordan

by coriordan

No-one laughs at me while posing, only once I start turning the pedals.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm
TonyM wrote:
Maybe she know's Godzuki?

The bike looks great. Let’s be honest if your a overweight weekend warrior your not going to be buying a Rca your probably going to ride a pina or steel bike and convince yourself that Reynolds 666 :lol: tubing is better than super lightweight carbon . It’s called envy.
Lose some weight save some money and live the dream :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

some noob wrote:big-big is pro
Big-big is only pro when you're about to shift from big-big to big-small in order to smoke your opponents in a blistering attack, not when you're such a novice that you just kept on shifting into an easier gear instead of using the other ring you haven't "got rid of cos you don't need it".
I once saw a user review of a bike and to paraphrase: "The bike goes up hill really well, and it's about to get better as I'm going to get an 11-32 cassette. I'll never have to use the small ring again!" :doh:
coriordan wrote:Bright socks, shoes & pink clothing has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality. When pink and blue where first considered as colours to identify gender, pink was for boys and blue for girls.
Not sure where you are from in Europe but in the UK, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium (places I've spend a degree of time in), pink would definitely not have any connotations of homosexuality.
With regards to the colour pink, there is a fine line between being 'cool' and 'hipster' in your usage of the colour and (please don't get offended, I feel it's the best word in this situation) looking 'a bit gay'.