Poseur Test!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Which of the following identifies you?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Not a Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, nor wear fancy kit, and I'll drop your ass never the less
17%
Micro Poseur - I clearly have a name brand tall sock collection, but I don't ride or wear anything fancy
14%
Total Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, everything is stealth black, and I think I could be photographed for the Rapha website
35%
Pro Poseur - I don't ride anything fancy, but I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
No votes
Super Pro Poseur - I ride a fancy bike, and I wear pro team kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
1%
Mega Pro Poseur - I ride a Pro Team bike, I wear Pro team Kits and I (think :roll: ) I look the part
3%
Mary Mother of God Super Pro Poseur - I have Chris Froome's bike, wear team Sky kits and hot damn, I (think :roll: ) I look the part
2%
Fancy Poseur - Any sub-set or combination of Poseurism - Your know who you are Buddy!!
22%
King of All Poseurs - All hail the King - Buy me a muffin at the Coffee Shop!! Make that Two Muffins for @Calnago
6%

Total votes: 88

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 am
Mr. Gib, to paraphrase someone's sig (relating to you, in fact), you don't know what you're talking about. Especially the part about cross chaining.
I am open minded, so educate me. Explain to me why 53 x 28 is better then 39 x 21 (both 49 inches).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Run of the Mill Rapha poster boy Poseur here. Was riding in NYC this past weekend. At least 200+ dudes dresses as his clone in the Rapha brigade

Wait... what? A Unicorn? A unicorn is a girl who prefers company with... oh never mind... :roll:

Mary Mother of God I'm blind! Can't unsee that... woof :frightened:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

dolophonic wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm
Mate you have some real issues... :lol:

Not really.....
For me in the summer white socks (only the brand and the thickness vary).
And in the winter with leg warmer black socks (here also only the brand and the thickness vary).
:beerchug:

BTW, I can recall an Italian Pro stating about his socks on GCN youtube:
"ma ....very easy....white shies white socks, black shoes black socks!)

Yep Italian also about fashion fashion :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:01 pm
Ummmm... lol.Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not for me BUT very cool in my eyes! If you go crazy and pink do it all the way and be proud of it! :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

coriordan wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm
Bright socks, shoes & pink clothing has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality. When pink and blue where first considered as colours to identify gender, pink was for boys and blue for girls.
Right. Until the 20th century and then the US business came into it to separate the colours for boys and girls.
coriordan wrote:
Not sure where you are from in Europe but in the UK, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium (places I've spend a degree of time in), pink would definitely not have any connotations of homosexuality.
No offense but you now see that "spending a degree of time in" these countries is not the same than being from these countries and living/ working there.... This pink is seen like I stated at least from the hetero and people above 40 y.o.... :wink:
I have spent in the past also some time in the US and Canada but now living here (and being married to a local) is much different.

coriordan wrote:
Brighter is definitely better. If you want to know what poseurs are wearing, look at Instagram, and I mean that in a good way. I wish I lived somewhere hotter so I could justify a wardrobe full of psychedelic colours. The best functioning winter kit is generally pretty bland.
Yepp Instagram is cool for that! :beerchug:
Each time I check my Instagram, I have so many pictures of Poseur. Great :thumbup:
But be a proud poseur and go crazy with the colours even if it is cold :beerchug:

I personally don't care if it is warm or cold. I wear the colours I like 8)

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm
beeatnik wrote:
Mr. Gib, to paraphrase someone's sig (relating to you, in fact), you don't know what you're talking about. Especially the part about cross chaining.
I am open minded, so educate me. Explain to me why 53 x 28 is better then 39 x 21 (both 49 inches).
The rider is not a novice. She may not race at the elite level but in terms of training load and intensity she's near elite. As for her gearing, I believe she may have been in that combination because she was attacking a finishing sprint climb and most of her attention was on her effort and her shifting may have been intuitive (as in, "this feels right"). In any case, the local pros would also be in big-near-big on that segment:

https://www.strava.com/segments/8086033?filter=overall

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As "King" of this thread, I feel some obligation to step in here strictly as a mediator. It is clear to me you both are aware of when it may be "acceptable" to be in the Big/Big. So no need to fight about that. As for why she "leaves" it in that combo after said brief attack or whatever she was doing... well... I have to say... that is not very good form in the land of coffee shop etiquette. I could very well be inclined to think she was a novice as well. I think in the interest of settling this... please send that wench up to my chambers and I will gently inform her of the proper combination of gears to be in when parked at any coffee stop, regardless of how hard it is to start again. Just in case there are those who are wondering what that might be, well 53/11 of course, or the closest you have to it. You wouldn't want anyone taking a pic of your bike in any other gear combination, as long as you have anything to say about it. Oh, and as you send her up... please tell her that Blueberry will be fine.
Thank you, carry on.

This thread is so weird.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Cal, 53x11 was my gear on that sprint. Tru story.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:56 pm
Cal, 53x11 was my gear on that sprint. Tru story.
As it should be :)
Oh, could you tell her to bring some butter as well, please? Thanks.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

beeatnik wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
beeatnik wrote:
The rider is not a novice. She may not race at the elite level but in terms of training load and intensity she's near elite. As for her gearing, I believe she may have been in that combination because she was attacking a finishing sprint climb and most of her attention was on her effort and her shifting may have been intuitive (as in, "this feels right"). In any case, the local pros would also be in big-near-big on that segment:
Right, so there was an appropriate situation - big/big to finish off a sprint (and I bet to avoid a risky front derailleur shift in the lead in). That was my point. Glad to hear your pal is not a novice despite the socks.

Now about big/big being pro, again please explain to me why 53 x 28 is better then 39 x 21. I want to hear about why its better, (not that the local pros would be near big/big. :roll:) By big/big "being pro" you did mean better didn't you? Or did you mean something else?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

coriordan

by coriordan

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm
coriordan wrote:
Bright socks, shoes & pink clothing has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality. When pink and blue where first considered as colours to identify gender, pink was for boys and blue for girls.
Right. Until the 20th century and then the US business came into it to separate the colours for boys and girls.
coriordan wrote:
Not sure where you are from in Europe but in the UK, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium (places I've spend a degree of time in), pink would definitely not have any connotations of homosexuality.
No offense but you now see that "spending a degree of time in" these countries is not the same than being from these countries and living/ working there.... This pink is seen like I stated at least from the hetero and people above 40 y.o.... :wink:
I have spent in the past also some time in the US and Canada but now living here (and being married to a local) is much different.

coriordan wrote:
Brighter is definitely better. If you want to know what poseurs are wearing, look at Instagram, and I mean that in a good way. I wish I lived somewhere hotter so I could justify a wardrobe full of psychedelic colours. The best functioning winter kit is generally pretty bland.
Yepp Instagram is cool for that! :beerchug:
Each time I check my Instagram, I have so many pictures of Poseur. Great :thumbup:
But be a proud poseur and go crazy with the colours even if it is cold :beerchug:

I personally don't care if it is warm or cold. I wear the colours I like 8)
Sorry to labour the point.

I'm English and lived in France Spain and Holland and have lots of Dutch family. Noone I know tbinks pink makes you look gay. If anything else the opposite is true because it demonstrates confidence in one's own sexuality and identity and that one doesn't care one jot what others think.

I can't wear the colours I like in winter because you can't get winter kit in the colours like.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Mr.Gib wrote:
beeatnik wrote:
I ride a single ring , both my bikes are now single 53t, x 25 the other is 27, I never used the small ring not for climbing , not for anything etc ,so last year went the whole hog and removed my lovely carbon cage derailuers I made . Always thought it would be a bit hipster looking ( that’s why I never Removed them for years I liked my bikes to look like a race bike ) with a single ring but I don’t care anymore . . For me it feels smoother in the big ring . It feels easier to turn over. I have the ability to turn it over quite easy on a climb so unless you can do that yourself then you wont understand where I’m coming from.
I love pink , it’s a great colour. Been tempted to get my guru sprayed pink. Still might if I get another bike . Pink =gay , ffs haven’t we moved on from this nonsense..

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
beeatnik wrote:
I ride a single ring , both my bikes are now single 53t, x 25 the other is 27, .... For me it feels smoother in the big ring . It feels easier to turn over. I have the ability to turn it over quite easy on a climb so unless you can do that yourself then you wont understand where I’m coming from.
So 53 x 27 feels easier than 39 x 20 (both 51 inches)? You got some data to back that up? I was always under the impression that gear inches equals gear inches and the only difference between big and small rings would be friction losses from cross chaining and ring and cog radius. I admit that I can't climb in 53 x 27, I can only manage 39 x 20 so perhaps I don't get where you are coming from. :P , regardless I appreciate your anecdote - you must be very strong and light.

You know, there used to be another guy on this board who use to go on at length about climbing in the big ring. If you can find him, perhaps he has some data.

But I wasn't interested peoples's climbing habits, I am just waiting for beeatnik to explain how big/big is better then the same size gear on the small ring.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

It's not better; it's just the style of strong riders who aren't anorexic or live by the Armstrong Extra High Cadence Gospel. Anyhoo, the only thing that truly matters is souplesse. Ya, that's PRO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

coriordan wrote: Sorry to labour the point.

I'm English and lived in France Spain and Holland and have lots of Dutch family. Noone I know tbinks pink makes you look gay. If anything else the opposite is true because it demonstrates confidence in one's own sexuality and identity and that one doesn't care one jot what others think.

I can't wear the colours I like in winter because you can't get winter kit in the colours like.
All ok! No problem.

If you are British then I understand that you don’t get it in France for example. There is also a difference between what people tell you and people think. No offense, my wife has a British family and I enjoy the British humour. Same for Spain. BTW, the Netherlands and the Dutch are very different (more open minded) IMHO.

Anyway we are drifting and feel free to express your confidence in your own sexuality! I wore pink colour clothes back in the days also (except in NYC). But I was told from some friends that I had too much testosterone and that it was the reason why I liked so much racing. LOL

Thanks for explanation of the colours and the winter!