Reliable Heart Rate Monitor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Cleaning your strap every so often is necessary imo.

Also Polar for me, really comfortable and doesn’t slide down during the ride.

Ringo

by Ringo

My suunto hr from my ambit 3 peak still works fine after all these years but the clip from the belt lost its paint and it’s now bare metal. It started to corrode and I found some stains on my Jersey.
I have to buy another set since I cannot find only the belt.
I think I’m going to wahoo tckr to match with my bolt
XXTi
C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reknop

by reknop

Alfus wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:29 am
reknop wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:49 pm
My girlfriend had a lot of issues using her Wahoo Tickr-Run in combination with a Garmin Smartwatch.

Personally I have beent using the Wahoo Tickr-X in combination with my Pioneer SGX-CA500 for a long time, but the cycling computer is replaced with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Guess what ... HR is not showing up in the Wahoo combination of products. :-)

I've ended up replacing the Wahoo Tickr-X with a 4iiii Viiiiva and using it flawelessly with the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt now. Can't really comment on the battery-life yet.
Smells to spam of your own webpage.... reported!
I've fully moved away from the Wahoo Tickr-X since it simply is not reliable with the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. HR readings are not consistent or the Tickr-X isn't recognized and I end up riding with power data and without HR date. Because I didn't want to ride without HR data, I've purchased the Viiiiva and so far this combination works flawlessly. Batterylife of the Viiiva so far is good as well.

From a product development perspective I don't understand this compatibility issues. Within your own productlines the compatibility and experience should always be better that a mix with competitive products. So let's say it was just bad luck ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

reknop

by reknop

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:06 am
Cleaning your strap every so often is necessary imo.

Also Polar for me, really comfortable and doesn’t slide down during the ride.
Would have been my choice as well, since I use the Poar Vantage M smartwatch. But the Polar HR straps don't use a CR2032 battery like my Pioneer powermeter. No I can keep both HR strap and PM operational with one battery type. Also helpful when you go on a cycling trip and just need to have a couple of replacements.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

maquisard

by maquisard

After saying how good Tickr was, my latest Tickr (new case design) is not as reliable as the original.

Paired with my ELEMNT the heart rate date stuck at 155 BPM for first five minutes of ride and then generally stayed around 123 BPM for the entire ride. I came home and ELEMNT reported average HR but Apple Watch data reported 138 BPM avg for the ride.

I is bad when currently very reliable products start to go bad.

Liimis22

by Liimis22

We have in our family all wahoo systems, kickr core, kickr v5, bolt, element roam, and hr monitors.
I have white older model, wife has tickr fit and son has new model chest strap, guess what has stucked in ridiculously high rates last two rides?
Not mine old version nor wife's fit, but son's new is giving 168bpm on a base training sessions.
Seems like there is problem on newer versions, I will try a new battery on that, if problems continue will find something else.

maquisard

by maquisard

I updated the firmware on my Tickr V2 last evening to v1.11 - it will be interesting to see if this improves precision and accuracy of the device.

Liimis22

by Liimis22

Update

My son's new tickr worked fine today over an hour after replacing battery.

Might just be undervoltage issue, I hope it's ok now but will tell if problems still occur.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

My first Tickr V2 was a disaster. Unrealiable readings going from 60bpm to 185bpm. Easy spin would result in 180bpm, all out in 102bpm. Warranty division of Wahoo sent me a new one which works perfectly fine for about 4 months now so no complains anymore.

My first monitor was the standard Garmin one but that one registered readings in all out efforts up to 220bpm, didn't seem right either.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

maquisard

by maquisard

I will try mine with the firmware update and see if it works more successfully. If not I will claim warranty like Ritsuke.

Disappointing when a newer version of product also brings in newer bugs and issues.

xkcd

by xkcd

Probably for the European guys around here: does anyone of you use the decathlon hrm? the branding is kalenji and its only 35 euro.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've had about five straps. Tickr worked well electronically but the whole thing fell apart in less than a year. Newer style Garmin didn't last too long and the older version I got from a friend has been very reliable but heavy. Decathlon one didn't last long. Currently on a Polar, good reviews but only a few months in, fingers crossed.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

xkcd wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 pm
Probably for the European guys around here: does anyone of you use the decathlon hrm? the branding is kalenji and its only 35 euro.
I'm using the Geonaute HRM which I'm fairly certain is the same as the Kalenji one. I bought the Geonaute on discount when the Kalenji replaced it, and noticed the two devices look exactly the same. It must be just a branding update.

Anyway, I've been using it for 4 years now and I haven't had any issues with it. The battery lasts a very long time; I've only replaced the coin cell battery twice. It even survived a couple washes in the washing machine when I accidentally threw it in with my other cycling gear.

maquisard

by maquisard

Ritsuke wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:02 pm
My first Tickr V2 was a disaster. Unrealiable readings going from 60bpm to 185bpm. Easy spin would result in 180bpm, all out in 102bpm. Warranty division of Wahoo sent me a new one which works perfectly fine for about 4 months now so no complains anymore.
Wahoo warranty have now sent me a replacement for same reason. Hopefully it will work better

Cord1138

by Cord1138

I had a Garmin HRM Dual, was working fine outdoors, then I started using it indoors, the sweat caused issues. Bought a Polar H9 as it's waterproof, seems good so far, will see how it goes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com