Reliable Heart Rate Monitor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Just noticed that my 6 month old Wahoo Tickr has been giving me some really weird readings in the last week. Was super consistent up until a week ago, then all of a sudden it would not read my HR during the rides correctly. Has anyone else had a faulty Tickr before where it would give incorrect readings.

I'll contact Wahoo for a warranty replacement, but in the meantime, what do you guys recommend?
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Did you try to replace the battery first?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

maquisard wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15 pm
Ritsuke wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:02 pm
My first Tickr V2 was a disaster. Unrealiable readings going from 60bpm to 185bpm. Easy spin would result in 180bpm, all out in 102bpm. Warranty division of Wahoo sent me a new one which works perfectly fine for about 4 months now so no complains anymore.
Wahoo warranty have now sent me a replacement for same reason. Hopefully it will work better
I should probably update this thread with my Tickr experiences. My first Tickr (original) was rock solid for several years. The strap contact point broke on me. I searched for a replacement and I only saw that the Tickr2 was available. I did not think they were compatible so I just got a Tickr2.

It was nothing but problems. Unresponsive all the time. Would just hold a heart rate value, then shoot up or down and hold it. Updated the firmware per Wahoo's recommendation, then the HR values would move, but it was like the values were pulled out of thin air. If I had increasing power intervals, my HR strap would show it going downward, not upward. Wahoo said their engineers had a new strap that would help. Tried it again and it still did not work. I took my original Tickr pod and put it on either Tickr2 strap and it worked perfectly. Finally, after monitoring rides, charting data, and sending .fit files detailing the behavior and showing that the original Tickr worked well with the new straps, they sent me an entire replacement unit.

So far, it's actually working well.

If I were to do it over, I would've either just ordered a Tickr2 strap for my original, or went with Garmin. FYI.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

maquisard

by maquisard

My replacement Tickr v2 has so far been okay. However the strap that came with the replacement has smooth sensor pads and due to this Wahoo support told me to use a separately supplied HR strap that has raised bumps on the sensor pads.

As a product Tickr v2 seems a mess, very sad considering the original Wahoo Tickr was a great product.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

maquisard wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:33 pm
My replacement Tickr v2 has so far been okay. However the strap that came with the replacement has smooth sensor pads and due to this Wahoo support told me to use a separately supplied HR strap that has raised bumps on the sensor pads.

As a product Tickr v2 seems a mess, very sad considering the original Wahoo Tickr was a great product.
They sent me the same replacement strap. But, interestingly enough, my Tickr1 works just fine with either the smooth strap or raised bump strap. And my replacement Tickr2 does as well. It was interesting to me how quickly they wanted to blame everything but the pod itself when I told them from the get go that my Tickr1 worked just fine with the new strap, it was the Tick2 pod that didn't.

I did, however, keep the replacement strap when I returned the defective unit so now I have a replacement for my Tick1 and can use either. So it's not all bad I suppose.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Liimis22

by Liimis22

Liimis22 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 pm
Update

My son's new tickr worked fine today over an hour after replacing battery.

Might just be undervoltage issue, I hope it's ok now but will tell if problems still occur.
Update on this again stucked readings on my son's tickr, this time solid 122 after start.

Dunno if I try one more battery with this and after maybe polar h10

Alex222

by Alex222

My Tickr 2 was all working well for a couple of months then just constant drop outs and low readings. Contacted customer support and they sent me the new strap with the dimpled finish. Did not solve the issues so they are sending me a replacement unit, so can't fault their customer service.

maquisard

by maquisard

There is clearly an issue with the Tickr2, Wahoo should not be selling a defective product such as this.

garbageman

by garbageman

My Tickr v2 was giving bad readings but pulling the metal prong battery connection upward lightly has fixed it for the time being.

oldturd

by oldturd

Glad I found this thread. My Tickr2 is ridiculous as well... Easier to use my old Garmin ANT+ unit. Totally didn't think to reach out to Wahoo but will do so now.

garbageman

by garbageman

My Tickr2 is back to giving wild readings, mostly just when I first put it on and sometimes for the first few minutes of my ride. Yesterday my head unit showed 220 bpm as soon as I put it on. After 7 minutes the reading dropped from 170+ to below 140 in a matter of seconds and it seemed to work ok after that judging by perceived exertion. None of the troubleshooting methods that helped in the past are doing anything now. Contacted Wahoo support about it and got what seems like a canned response:
"Thanks for reaching out to Wahoo Fitness Support. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
We are aware that some users are experiencing the symptoms you have described and we have released a firmware update (version 1.10.0 or later) to resolve the issue," and then continued to link the Tickr troubleshooting article even though I noted in my ticket that I had done all that and was already on 1.12.0 firmware :roll:

Vuong05

by Vuong05

My Tickr 2 went dead after only 6 months of use (probably 4 months of heavy use during that time). At first, Wahoo replaced the strap with the new dimpled version and it worked great for about 2 weeks. Then the HRM unit went dead on Monday's ride after 15 min. I tried to do the battery reset via instructions wahoo sent me, but no dice. They are sending a brand new complete Tickr2 for replacement. Not sure how confident I am in Wahoo's HRM, but I sure like their customer service regarding warranty.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)