2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

Rondje wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 pm
It’s a unique combination by combining cycling and speedskating. The team did amazing at the olympics (4 gold, 1 silver and 1 brons medal) and cycling seems to go good as well.
It's unusual to combine teams, but it's actually not such a strange thing to combine the sports. Somehow speedskating (mostly long-track I think) and cycling seem to have a lot in common, I mean, look at all their thighs!

by Weenie

spartan

by spartan

interesting vid. trek madone lightest of the bunch considering the avg size of the frames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daKQE965uyI
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

chris47

by chris47

From the same video:
silicone between the tyre and the rim. Interesting that this is allowed whilst the mavic blade thing is not

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Good catch!
Maybe it's allowed because it's permanent and not removable.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

Rondje

by Rondje

themidge wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 am
Rondje wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 pm
It’s a unique combination by combining cycling and speedskating. The team did amazing at the olympics (4 gold, 1 silver and 1 brons medal) and cycling seems to go good as well.
It's unusual to combine teams, but it's actually not such a strange thing to combine the sports. Somehow speedskating (mostly long-track I think) and cycling seem to have a lot in common, I mean, look at all their thighs!
Yep and speedskaters train a lot on the bike. I think if it wasn’t for his speedskating skills Sven Kramer could have become a pro cyclist.

Latest news update is that Jumbo wel step up as full sponsor till 2023 (olympic cycle) and will increase the budget for the cycling team towards €15 milion.

Wookski

by Wookski

chris47 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 am
From the same video:
silicone between the tyre and the rim. Interesting that this is allowed whilst the mavic blade thing is not
Silicone or Mastik Pro? Mastik Pro leaves a similar clear finished “seal” between rim and tyre.

jo.k

by jo.k

Haven't seen the video, but that looks more like aquasure or similar than tire glue. Do they say in the video that this is done for aero benefit? In CX on tires with cotton (or silk) casing it is normal to seal the sidewall of the tires down to the rim/tire interface to avoid water intrusion and thus tire rot in the long run.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Wookski wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am
chris47 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 am
From the same video:
Silicone or Mastik Pro? Mastik Pro leaves a similar clear finished “seal” between rim and tyre.
If that is tub glue I would say who ever mounted that tub needs to practise some more.

peted76

by peted76

Froome & Dumoulin to start Tirreno-Adriatico next week. Tommy will surely be wanting to prove something after his Abu Dhabi disaster. Goodness knows where Froomes head is at, but it's the first time I'm aware of that these two will have raced against each other since.. well before last years Giro... Will the young Tommy, knock Froome of his perch this year? There's at least three chances with this, the Giro and TdF. I'm loving the fact the season's started!

maquisard

by maquisard

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4346/chri ... -ukad-data

Not looking good for Froome, Brailsford 'misrepresenting' the truth as usual :thumbup:

Rudi

by Rudi

At the Track Cycling Worlds, did it look like the GB Pursuit guys had broken out the T5s? Not sure - there was definately one guy on a T4.

Did USA cycling ever re-use the Felts with the cranks on the left hand side?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

wingguy

by wingguy

Looks like they’re on a whole mix of bikes. Some of the sprinters on the old UKSI Bikes, some newer members on T4s, but some of the bigger names on a new version of the T5GB, with more development since the Rio model.

Rondje

by Rondje

peted76 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 pm
Froome & Dumoulin to start Tirreno-Adriatico next week. Tommy will surely be wanting to prove something after his Abu Dhabi disaster. Goodness knows where Froomes head is at, but it's the first time I'm aware of that these two will have raced against each other since.. well before last years Giro... Will the young Tommy, knock Froome of his perch this year? There's at least three chances with this, the Giro and TdF. I'm loving the fact the season's started!
Dumoulin kicked Froome his ass in the worlds TT but that wasn't really a fair battle as Froome just did 2 GT's in a row.
I hope Abu Dhabi wasn't a sign for the rest of the season. I think Dumoulin overreacted there, no need to get so pissed on a season built up race like that. He should be calm in his head and keep his big goals Giro/TDF in mind.

zirxo

by zirxo

I totally gets Dumolins frustration during Abu Dhabi, mechanical issues two days in a row and instead of winning your finishing mid field.

pastronef

by pastronef

by Weenie