2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

pdlpsher1
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

Why can't Blythe exchange his broken bike with a teammate's?

Yeah I agree that disks don't belong in a peloton.

User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am
simoncx wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:33 am
I think the problem is they were given permission to go ahead and get the bike ready because they couldn't get a fully built bikes on the cars, the racks they have at the race do not support a fully built bikes.
that is the teams problem... get racks that can do it.
They weren't allowed to use their normal cars. They were using vehicles provided by the race organizers. Like everyone else.

Watching the races in Algarve and Ruta del Sol, all of the team cars there had bikes fully assembled on them.

Here's what I'd like to know. How can a bike NOT be delivered "from the side of the road"?
CyclingNews wrote:"The team manager of Blythe asked me if he could go to the front of the bunch to prepare the bike. I said ok, I understand because the new system with the brakes is not easy," said Coppenolle. "He went to the front and prepared the bike but for the changing of the bike it must happen from the behind the bunch and from the car, and only from the car. He gave him the bike but from the ground, that is not allowed in the rules."
I realize this is a TT and not a road race, but it seems to me that Alexey Lutsenko should've been DQ'd for this bike change at Worlds. Most certainly not a bike change from a car, and from "the ground".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1FS8mjjGw

spdntrxi
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Image


they managed fine... still teams fault.

ghisallo2003
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:10 pm

by ghisallo2003

This is not just a disc problem but 1x also.

There are likely to be more bike changes required to provide different front rings. This is a poor combination and you have to pity a rider who works and trains hard, is well prepared and then is disadvantaged through time or at the extreme, DQ because they are riding to a sponsors requirement.

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

wingguy wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:05 am
The higher you go the further behind the BB you get, not forward.
Thanks Captain Obvious. I said the effective seat tube angle gets steeper on that particular bike the more seatpost is exposed. It’s a different concept.

Look at the frame design - the seattube curves back around the wheel to a certain point, then straightens up and sets the seatpost at an angle much closer to vertical than the straight line from top of post to B.B. On bikes like this the stated seattube angle applies only to one specific saddle height, somewhere near the middle of the intended range of fit. With the saddle any lower the effective STA is slacker, with the saddle any higher the effective STA is steeper. Blythes saddle is quite high, so in practice the STA of his bike is going to be significantly steeper than 72.5 degrees. Comparable to or possibly even steeper than the Tarmac, certainly quite different to what you think the geo chart comparison tells you.

Any other questions? :wink:
Ahh nothing like a heartily condescending reply. Yes I understand Effective angles, and even so 760mm isn't particularly high with the post looking long on all of the bikes due to the stand over height. So even if it pulls back to around 73° it's still clamped on the nose of the rails.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Rondje
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: Netherlands

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am
simoncx wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:33 am
I think the problem is they were given permission to go ahead and get the bike ready because they couldn't get a fully built bikes on the cars, the racks they have at the race do not support a fully built bikes.
that is the teams problem... get racks that can do it.
They weren't allowed to use their normal cars. They were using vehicles provided by the race organizers. Like everyone else.

Watching the races in Algarve and Ruta del Sol, all of the team cars there had bikes fully assembled on them.

Here's what I'd like to know. How can a bike NOT be delivered "from the side of the road"?
CyclingNews wrote:"The team manager of Blythe asked me if he could go to the front of the bunch to prepare the bike. I said ok, I understand because the new system with the brakes is not easy," said Coppenolle. "He went to the front and prepared the bike but for the changing of the bike it must happen from the behind the bunch and from the car, and only from the car. He gave him the bike but from the ground, that is not allowed in the rules."
I realize this is a TT and not a road race, but it seems to me that Alexey Lutsenko should've been DQ'd for this bike change at Worlds. Most certainly not a bike change from a car, and from "the ground".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1FS8mjjGw
At the worlds, all riders were given permission to change from the ground. Normally isn't allowed either, you can see that in mountain TT's where riders swap bikes at the top of the climb, they also come from the car. The problem I see in this rule is. the bike must come from the car, while if I read it correctly, you can't put a fully equipped bike on top of the car. So what did the jury expect to happen when they gave them permission?

From jury standpoint I can understand they DQ'ed him, else people might abuse this new "rule" to do a fast bike swap in the classics for example where positioning is key.

User avatar
ave
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Hungary

by ave

This is what I'd call lots of setback.
Image

peted76
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm

by peted76

wingguy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 am
peted76 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm
Poor old Tim Wellens, always a bridesmaid....
Yeah was a proper dust up on that last climb. Even if a lot of riders treat them as tune ups rather than targets I really like these early season Spanish stage races and the nasty backroad climbs they dig out for the finishes. They're kind of underrated I reckon - but maybe if they were more important they wouldn't be as good.
Well bugger me sideways.. I'll eat my hat once I've tipped it to Tim Wellens.. Chapeau!

NS
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:27 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

by NS

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:00 am
Why can't Blythe exchange his broken bike with a teammate's?

Yeah I agree that disks don't belong in a peloton.
Maybe it wasnt broken, maybe he needed different gearing.

Front mechs coming soon

And let’s face it discs aren’t the problem for wheel changes. Through axles are the problem particularly the ones needing a hex wrench

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

ave wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am
This is what I'd call lots of setback.
Image
Tejay Van Garderen must have some really long femurs. When he's sitting on the bike he doesn't look like he's far behind the BB judging by his knee/shin angle and his knee's location over the pedal.

dominikk
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am

by dominikk

Very small frameset ...
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

TurboKoo
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 pm

by TurboKoo

Rondje wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am
LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am
simoncx wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:33 am
I think the problem is they were given permission to go ahead and get the bike ready because they couldn't get a fully built bikes on the cars, the racks they have at the race do not support a fully built bikes.
that is the teams problem... get racks that can do it.
They weren't allowed to use their normal cars. They were using vehicles provided by the race organizers. Like everyone else.

Watching the races in Algarve and Ruta del Sol, all of the team cars there had bikes fully assembled on them.

Here's what I'd like to know. How can a bike NOT be delivered "from the side of the road"?
CyclingNews wrote:"The team manager of Blythe asked me if he could go to the front of the bunch to prepare the bike. I said ok, I understand because the new system with the brakes is not easy," said Coppenolle. "He went to the front and prepared the bike but for the changing of the bike it must happen from the behind the bunch and from the car, and only from the car. He gave him the bike but from the ground, that is not allowed in the rules."
I realize this is a TT and not a road race, but it seems to me that Alexey Lutsenko should've been DQ'd for this bike change at Worlds. Most certainly not a bike change from a car, and from "the ground".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1FS8mjjGw
At the worlds, all riders were given permission to change from the ground. Normally isn't allowed either, you can see that in mountain TT's where riders swap bikes at the top of the climb, they also come from the car. The problem I see in this rule is. the bike must come from the car, while if I read it correctly, you can't put a fully equipped bike on top of the car. So what did the jury expect to happen when they gave them permission?

From jury standpoint I can understand they DQ'ed him, else people might abuse this new "rule" to do a fast bike swap in the classics for example where positioning is key.

Why Cancellara was not DQ'd in Ronde?
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al22Nn-6yPs[/YouTube]
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

spud
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am

by spud

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm
ave wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am
This is what I'd call lots of setback.
Image
Tejay Van Garderen must have some really long femurs. When he's sitting on the bike he doesn't look like he's far behind the BB judging by his knee/shin angle and his knee's location over the pedal.
not particularly long femurs - small bike in conjunction with long torso/arms. He's putting the seat back because he can't put any more stem on it. He might be better off with a frame that has equal stack, but more reach, which would allow him to open the trunk to thigh angle, without crunching up his upper body.

User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

NS wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm
Maybe it wasnt broken, maybe he needed different gearing.

Front mechs coming soon

And let’s face it discs aren’t the problem for wheel changes. Through axles are the problem particularly the ones needing a hex wrench
Some of the WC XCO teams have started using a drill with the appropriate sized hex bit. The axle is out in a quarter second. Took some lessons from F1/NASCAR. The better teams have wheel changes down to an art. Pretty amazing to watch.

bilwit
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm
Tejay Van Garderen must have some really long femurs. When he's sitting on the bike he doesn't look like he's far behind the BB judging by his knee/shin angle and his knee's location over the pedal.
I don't think that was Tejay's bike.. he's never been a national champ

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post