2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

LouisN wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 am
I was pretty impressed by Rally Cycling's 19 yrs old Brandon McNulty at Tour of Oman's 2nd stage.
Shure, he misjudged the last few hundred meters, but still... I like what he's showing at a pretty young age.

Louis :)
I think you mean Stage 4 of the Dubai Tour... no?
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 am
wingguy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm
It seems like it would be very easy to just design the system so the edges of the rotors were rounded.
Ummm. Yeah. So easy that it's been done, and mandated in road racing :noidea:
Right they did mandate that - forgot mostly because I can't wrap my head around the idea that the UCI would mandate round edges for road but not cross? How does that happen? Riders are flopping on each other all the time in cross. It will be interesting to see what the impact of this injury is on regulations.
It does seem a little inconsistent. I presume it's because the potential for mass pileups may be greater in road racing than in cross? Just a guess.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LouisN

by LouisN

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 am
LouisN wrote:
I was pretty impressed by Rally Cycling's 19 yrs old Brandon McNulty at Tour of Oman's 2nd stage.
Shure, he misjudged the last few hundred meters, but still... I like what he's showing at a pretty young age.

I think you mean Stage 4 of the Dubai Tour... no?
Yeah, sorry :oops: .. that's too many typos in the same sentence... :lol:

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Egan Bernal is on a roll!!!! Where will he stop? His first races in his first season as a world tour pro and he is samshing it!!!! He just won the overall in Oro y Paz ahead of Quintana...seems like a future Grand tour star/winner on the rise! :)

KWalker

by KWalker

there are no sharp edges or protrusions anywhere on a bicycle or rider but the brake rotor
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rondje

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:I found it... it wasn't a french rider, she was Italian. Alice Maria Arzuffi... a few riders crashed and as they were trying to get up, a bike flipped and the rotor hit her in the face.

here's a still... google the video.
Not sure that was the rotor. Could be, but it looks like her head is facing the wrong way when the bike hits her.
This wasn't due to a rotor. If you look at the video she hit her head hard on the not so soft ground. It was full of small rocks and dirt on that WC circuit.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

TiCass wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm
Surely that can't happen, I saw somebody on the internet touching a rotor without being cut!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/compton ... -in-lille/
Katie still finished the race in 7th place (after replacing a damaged shoe) and beat the 2 riders that caused the crash. She had already won the overall in the series so didn't need to finish, but she kept racing until the end.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

KWalker wrote:there are no sharp edges or protrusions anywhere on a bicycle or rider but the brake rotor
Except for those chainring teeth thingies...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'll catch some flack but:

Colombia Oro y Paz should be WorldTour, and TDU should probably drop a level. Great courses, and amazing fans at Oro y Paz. TDU is pretty boring, and it's a lot further away from Europe than Colombia.

Yes, I realize race classification is a function of funding for the race. But man, the fans in Colombia deserve big bike races. Incredibly supportive country. Reminded me of the finish of the TT at Worlds in Norway. Fans 5 or 10 deep for the last two kilometers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kjetil

by Kjetil

Lulz, KWalker.
Bianchi-Campagnolo

dolophonic

by dolophonic

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 am
I'll catch some flack but:

Colombia Oro y Paz should be WorldTour, and TDU should probably drop a level. Great courses, and amazing fans at Oro y Paz. TDU is pretty boring, and it's a lot further away from Europe than Colombia.

Yes, I realize race classification is a function of funding for the race. But man, the fans in Colombia deserve big bike races. Incredibly supportive country. Reminded me of the finish of the TT at Worlds in Norway. Fans 5 or 10 deep for the last two kilometers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes .. but possibly Vuelta Colombia should have got the attention .. it has the history and route.
Oro y Paz route is going to be different every year which could be interesting. Regardless great race happy to see it happen.

KWalker

by KWalker

TDU is perhaps the most boring WT race. At least the Middle East races require some tactics and specialization. TDU is one hill and a bunch of forgettable stages that only a few seem to treat as a true test piece.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm
TDU is perhaps the most boring WT race. At least the Middle East races require some tactics and specialization. TDU is one hill and a bunch of forgettable stages that only a few seem to treat as a true test piece.
not arguing against your classification of TDU... but I can't agree that any of the middle east races are any better. Quite literally, Dubai Tour is exactly the same as TDU. I guess there is always the threat of the wind in the middle east races, but if my memory serves me correct, that wind hasn't proven to be as common as we'd all like it to be. I, honestly, can't remember the wind really effecting any of the middle east races in the last 3-4 years. The WC race is the exception though... there were definitely some breaks in that race and it was more exciting than I thought it was going to, going in.

AJS914

by AJS914

Teams seem to like the TDU though. Maybe they go down there and spend some time training in the sun? Some big names show up. It sounded like the pavillion concept (where the mechanics and teams were all set up in one place) was well received.

by Weenie

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 am
Teams seem to like the TDU though. Maybe they go down there and spend some time training in the sun? Some big names show up. It sounded like the pavillion concept (where the mechanics and teams were all set up in one place) was well received.
I think you've nailed it... the TDU organizers make it very easy for the teams. Everyone stays in one hotel for the week. The pavilion is always there which is good for teams and fans.