2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Let's admit, we're jealous ;-)

by Weenie

Willier

by Willier

Custum NC shoes for Luka Mezgec

"Smart may have the answers, but stupid have all the interesting questions."

Leviathan

by Leviathan

tmr5555 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:04 pm
Let's admit, we're jealous ;-)
Nope. When I read about their special cycling version with its special lap counter
Which had to be turned to work, I just wanted to smash something with a hammer.

TiCass

by TiCass

Surely that can't happen, I saw somebody on the internet touching a rotor without being cut!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/compton ... -in-lille/

Calnago

by Calnago

What? Are you serious? I bleed every time I walk by a nice roadbike with disc brakes on it. Oh, sorry... that’s just coming from my heart. Carry on. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TiCass wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm
Surely that can't happen, I saw somebody on the internet touching a rotor without being cut!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/compton ... -in-lille/
Ouch, that is a nasty slice. I never understood why people debated whether or not a rotor could cut you. I spent a previous life involved in alpine skiing and cut myself many times while tuning skis, and I have witnessed some horrible cuts in racing accidents. A ski edge is nothing more than a finely honed 90 degree corner made of metal - slide your palm along it with even light pressure and you will be cut. And the edge of a rotor is quite similar. In fact anything made of metal with a fine 90 degree edge can do damage. A simple test, drag the back of your thumbnail against the edge of a rotor. Does it shave off a little curl of nail? If it does it can cut you. It seems like it would be very easy to just design the system so the edges of the rotors were rounded. I still wouldn't want to bash my face into a dull rotor, but at least the risk of laceration would be reduced.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TiCass

by TiCass

I'd say the cut is mainly due to impact rather than sharp edge.

wingguy

by wingguy

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm
It seems like it would be very easy to just design the system so the edges of the rotors were rounded.
Ummm. Yeah. So easy that it's been done, and mandated in road racing :noidea:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TiCass wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 am
I'd say the cut is mainly due to impact rather than sharp edge.
Impact will definitely spit skin and no doubt there must have been some impact but the two cuts and the line, etc. suggest her knee slid along the thing a bit. OK, that's the last time I am looking at that photo. :unbelievable:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wingguy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
It seems like it would be very easy to just design the system so the edges of the rotors were rounded.
Right they did mandate that - forgot mostly because I can't wrap my head around the idea that the UCI would mandate round edges for road but not cross? How does that happen? Riders are flopping on each other all the time in cross. It will be interesting to see what the impact of this injury is on regulations.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 am
wingguy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Right they did mandate that - forgot mostly because I can't wrap my head around the idea that the UCI would mandate round edges for road but not cross? How does that happen? Riders are flopping on each other all the time in cross. It will be interesting to see what the impact of this injury is on regulations.
I feel like there was a french rider that got a huge cut on her face at last year's cross world championships.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I found it... it wasn't a french rider, she was Italian. Alice Maria Arzuffi... a few riders crashed and as they were trying to get up, a bike flipped and the rotor hit her in the face.

here's a still... google the video.

2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

LouisN

by LouisN

I was pretty impressed by Rally Cycling's 19 yrs old Brandon McNulty at Tour of Oman's 2nd stage.
Shure, he misjudged the last few hundred meters, but still... I like what he's showing at a pretty young age.

Louis :)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I found it... it wasn't a french rider, she was Italian. Alice Maria Arzuffi... a few riders crashed and as they were trying to get up, a bike flipped and the rotor hit her in the face.

here's a still... google the video.

Not sure that was the rotor. Could be, but it looks like her head is facing the wrong way when the bike hits her.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LouisN wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 am
I was pretty impressed by Rally Cycling's 19 yrs old Brandon McNulty at Tour of Oman's 2nd stage.
Shure, he misjudged the last few hundred meters, but still... I like what he's showing at a pretty young age.

Louis :)
McNulty was amazing but his choice of gear not so much. Curious to know what ratio he was using to climb that hill. Was a win possible with a smaller gear?

by Weenie