2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel1975
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

by Daniel1975

That finale word says it all. I don’t really care who wins the Tour (ok, TD please....), but the tour needs a different rider than froome. G in this shape is fine by me.

by Weenie


Hawkwood
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm

by Hawkwood

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Daniel1975 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm
The progression of Froome is much more suspicious. He really came from nowhere.
I'd like to hear the actual come from nowhere theory from the conspiracy theorists. It was suggested that Froome was on the ropes in his career and Sky suggested to him that he was on the cusp of getting fired and then all of a sudden he's like a new rider.

So how does a 3rd tier rider about to be fired come up with the resources to transform himself? Are you guys saying that Sky has the secret drugs available and is just waiting for their riders to get desperate enough to say yes to their program?
This article sums it up pretty succinctly.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 68940.html
Bit of an odd article, and in one part I checked the figures don't work out. Plus the writer states that Froome was approaching being the greatest cyclist ever as we can scrub Anquetil and Merckx from the record books for doping, and states there is an asterisk against Hinault. In the case of Merckx the writer cites four doping cases, but I can only find three. He then goes on to quote the Hungarian who's appeared on documentaries about motor-doping, however this guy appears to have made stuff up, the wheel motor idea for intance where when he was pushed he couldn't show a working model.

User avatar
Leviathan
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Mallorca, Spain
Contact:

by Leviathan

Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Having no explanation doesn't remove doubt and skepticism at my side, I'm sorry. And the way Sky communicates and works with the media simply doesn't work in their favor. Maybe that's also why the media doesn't have the most positive pov in their publications of Sky.
I don't let stuff like this influence my joy to watch cycling. I do however find the Sky train boring. But it's up to other teams to beat it. Not like AG2R, Bahrein and Movistar do by helping them. But by attacking like Kruijswijk did yesterday. Because that really influenced the Sky train being burned down earlier than planned.
Totally agree with this point and would add that jiffy bags and doctors refusing to testify hardly serve to promulgate the idea of a "whiter that white" Team Sky.
However, by assuming that Sky are the only ones doing it, and/or having some secret sauce which is a) undetectable and b) unique to them, I think the doubters are essentialy revealing their own nationalistic biases (as indeed are the Brits jumping to protect Froome and Sky)
But god I wish Movistar would do SOMETHING.

beswiss
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 pm
Contact:

by beswiss

However, by assuming that Sky are the only ones doing it, and/or having some secret sauce which is a) undetectable and b) unique to them, I think the doubters are essentialy revealing their own nationalistic biases (as indeed are the Brits jumping to protect Froome and Sky
Exactly + it gets blown up if a team has more success...

- Dylan van Baarle gets a lot of stick/attention when he admits to use an inhalator. When Dumoulin said he used the Salbutamol inhalator in the past, he didn't get a lot of attention.
- Yates asthma ban seems OK whereas Froome's TUE case isn't.
- AG2Rs 2015 doping scandals seem to be OK for the French public.
- Team Sky s domination is boring / bad for cycling, their budget kills the sport in many Dutch media. Boels-Dolmans is great for women's cycling though according to same media (even though more dominant bar 1 rider)
- Froome s ride over Zoncolan is suspicious. Annemie van Vleutenin Giro Rosa is great (although demolishing a field day after day and going faster up Zoncolan than many male pro)
No questions asked about her rising to the top at later age...

I'm hoping Tom Dumoulin wins this tour though because he has most flair. I enjoy watching great rides and am not frustrated when G or Froome or Bardet wins.

Seeing Jalabert at the TV when he says the French public is respectful for all riders in general is cringe worthy for me though.
C'dale SuperSix Evo Sram Red, Cube Agree GTC Race SL, Granville MTB XT

Monkeyfudger
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 pm

by Monkeyfudger

Gilbert would have had that on a Venge...

User avatar
LouisN
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Location: Canada

by LouisN

Now that's "WW's pro thread" spirit :lol:


Louis :)

User avatar
euan
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am

by euan

Thomas' closest rival is the World ITT Champion, who just finished second at a gruelling Giro, as is capable of riding with argueable a much fresher rider.

Yet Thomas is the one thats suspicious. People need to be consistant, either they all are, or none of them are.
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar

robertbb
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

euan wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Thomas' closest rival is the World ITT Champion, who just finished second at a gruelling Giro, as is capable of riding with argueable a much fresher rider.

Yet Thomas is the one thats suspicious. People need to be consistant, either they all are, or none of them are.
:thumbup:

I just assume they all are and watch for the racing/scenery.
It's ALL about the bike.

RobertBB's CyclePlanner Spreadsheet:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8&t=152263

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Hawkwood wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Daniel1975 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm
The progression of Froome is much more suspicious. He really came from nowhere.
I'd like to hear the actual come from nowhere theory from the conspiracy theorists. It was suggested that Froome was on the ropes in his career and Sky suggested to him that he was on the cusp of getting fired and then all of a sudden he's like a new rider.

So how does a 3rd tier rider about to be fired come up with the resources to transform himself? Are you guys saying that Sky has the secret drugs available and is just waiting for their riders to get desperate enough to say yes to their program?
This article sums it up pretty succinctly.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 68940.html
Bit of an odd article, and in one part I checked the figures don't work out. Plus the writer states that Froome was approaching being the greatest cyclist ever as we can scrub Anquetil and Merckx from the record books for doping, and states there is an asterisk against Hinault. In the case of Merckx the writer cites four doping cases, but I can only find three. He then goes on to quote the Hungarian who's appeared on documentaries about motor-doping, however this guy appears to have made stuff up, the wheel motor idea for intance where when he was pushed he couldn't show a working model.
It's the same inconsistent babbling that goes on in here day after day, draw your conclusions then amble on rambling till the words fit your bias.
euan wrote:Thomas' closest rival is the World ITT Champion, who just finished second at a gruelling Giro, as is capable of riding with argueable a much fresher rider.

Yet Thomas is the one thats suspicious. People need to be consistant, either they all are, or none of them are.
Hey hey hey, you leave logic out of this witch hunt, you hear me ;)


beswiss wrote:
However, by assuming that Sky are the only ones doing it, and/or having some secret sauce which is a) undetectable and b) unique to them, I think the doubters are essentialy revealing their own nationalistic biases (as indeed are the Brits jumping to protect Froome and Sky
Exactly + it gets blown up if a team has more success...

- Dylan van Baarle gets a lot of stick/attention when he admits to use an inhalator. When Dumoulin said he used the Salbutamol inhalator in the past, he didn't get a lot of attention.
- Yates asthma ban seems OK whereas Froome's TUE case isn't.
- AG2Rs 2015 doping scandals seem to be OK for the French public.
- Team Sky s domination is boring / bad for cycling, their budget kills the sport in many Dutch media. Boels-Dolmans is great for women's cycling though according to same media (even though more dominant bar 1 rider)
- Froome s ride over Zoncolan is suspicious. Annemie van Vleutenin Giro Rosa is great (although demolishing a field day after day and going faster up Zoncolan than many male pro)
No questions asked about her rising to the top at later age...

I'm hoping Tom Dumoulin wins this tour though because he has most flair. I enjoy watching great rides and am not frustrated when G or Froome or Bardet wins.

Seeing Jalabert at the TV when he says the French public is respectful for all riders in general is cringe worthy for me though.
Sums it up pretty well.


Using Tapatalk

AJS914
Posts: 2270
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

Back to the racing - Sky needs to gain time on Dumoulin. G has 1:50 on Dumoulin and Froome only 11 seconds on him. If they all follow each other through the Pyrenees and nobody gains time, Dumoulin could win the race in the ITT.

Wookski
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:08 am
Back to the racing - Sky needs to gain time on Dumoulin. G has 1:50 on Dumoulin and Froome only 11 seconds on him. If they all follow each other through the Pyrenees and nobody gains time, Dumoulin could win the race in the ITT.
My prediction is big Tom loses at least 2 mins in the Pyrenees. I just can’t see him pacing himself the way he has in the Alps. I’m happy to be proven wrong as he’d make a great champ.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Check his interview (with English subtitles).
Big Tom think that he will not be able to win the TdF if Thomas/ Froome don't have a bad day...

https://youtu.be/7KZ5q2Ujjec

Wookski
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 am
Check his interview (with English subtitles).
Big Tom think that he will not be able to win the TdF if Thomas/ Froome don't have a bad day...

https://youtu.be/7KZ5q2Ujjec
Well that’s a revelation- somebody call Mensa!

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Wookski wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:22 am
TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 am
Check his interview (with English subtitles).
Big Tom think that he will not be able to win the TdF if Thomas/ Froome don't have a bad day...

https://youtu.be/7KZ5q2Ujjec
Well that’s a revelation- somebody call Mensa!
Not sure I get your point.... :shock:

Tom Dumoulin is a nice guy. He thinks that he can't either win the TT or make a significant difference on the TT with Froome (or Thomas).

Daniel1975
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

by Daniel1975

The Alpes are more in his favour. The Pyrenees are different climbes. Less easy to find you pace, more changes in gradient.
Froome is always strong in the 3th week, we don’t know about G this year.
1 CF, 2 TD, 3 G ?

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post