2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

cdncyclist
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am

by cdncyclist

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 am
Looking at the backgrounds of the other WT teams, riders and staff it’s pretty clear that Sky is one of, if not the cleanest team in the sport :lol: Jiffy bags, TUEs and ventolin are nothing compared to what the others have been up to for decades.

The hypocrisy is what makes cycling so amusing!
Completely agree, and much of this comes from those that are not only ignorant, but unaware of their ignorance. There are orders of magnitude of difference between EPO and salbutamol but people seem to think they are equal. Frankly I think the biggest doping issues in the sport are those that are currently allowed by the rules (TUE for systemic corticosteroids and opiates (tramadol).

But the racing is cracking, this tour is fantastic!!

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Sometimes the common sense helps....
Remember Armstrong was never tested positive.....

I have my opinion but I really still enjoy watching the TdF, Giro etc.....
With or without Sky the stage was great to watch! I also really enjoy watching the interviews of the different riders!

by Weenie


bilwit
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 am
the issue is - most successfull cyclists have a record of wins going back to their junior years. SKY's leaders don't (and although Wiggins was a superior athlete, track is not road racing). in a discipline where consistency allows improvement over the years, seeing a dude transforming from mediocre to unbelievable over a season or two is - what? amazing? suspicious? in my book it's disturbing and symptomatic - perhaps not a direct proof, but a clear sign of fraudulent practices.
Wiggins was a junior world champion on the track and showed that he had a big engine throughout his entire career, most especially at an individual level and not just team pursuit only. That demonstrates he has always had a big engine and the potential was always there. There are plenty of track riders who transitioned to the road, maybe less common these days since there are more established road development programs out there. Thomas even showed world class pedigree before going on the road too, to a much lesser extent but still. Froome did and showed literally nothing at any point before being told he might be cut on the eve of the 2011 Vuelta, at which he became one of the greatest climbers in the world. That is unbelievable to me. And no, don't mention the stupid bilharzia excuse. If you actually do your research you'd find that it's pretty much impossible for him to have had.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Some riders had a black armband. Like Nibali and a Groupama/fdj (Italian?) rider.

Does someone know the reason?


Image
Last edited by TonyM on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jorisee01
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

by jorisee01

TonyM wrote:Some riders had a black armband. Like Nibali and a Groupama/fdj (Italian?) rider.

Does someone know the reason?
Was it for Casartelli?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

jorisee01 wrote:
TonyM wrote:Some riders had a black armband. Like Nibali and a Groupama/fdj (Italian?) rider.

Does someone know the reason?
Was it for Casartelli?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I just read his story on rouleur. Sad.
https://rouleur.cc/editorial/darkness-a ... asartelli/

Rondje
Posts: 1330
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: Netherlands

by Rondje

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:06 am
jorisee01 wrote:
TonyM wrote:Some riders had a black armband. Like Nibali and a Groupama/fdj (Italian?) rider.

Does someone know the reason?
Was it for Casartelli?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I just read his story on rouleur. Sad.
https://rouleur.cc/editorial/darkness-a ... asartelli/
I don't think that is the reason. On Belgium television, they asked a DS of Sagan and said it was due to one of the old founders or directors of liguigas team passed away.

User avatar
rainerhq
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Estonia

by rainerhq

:D
Image
Domane
Speed Concept
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KB
Posts: 3939
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: HULL UK

by KB

bilwit wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 am
And no, don't mention the stupid bilharzia excuse. If you actually do your research you'd find that it's pretty much impossible for him to have had.
I'm not saying that his results are not suspicious, but how is it impossible to have had it? He was born in a place where it's highly prevalent. I worked in Nigeria for many years where it's also a major problem. And I worked with someone who did his National Service in Egypt after the war where even swimming was banned and a serious offence. I suffered with an ear infection for many years that led to a small op and this was due to swimming in a pool a few times. The tropics for whitey is a major problem. Generally, blacks are tougher than we are so they tend to cope better.

wingguy
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 am
the issue is - most successfull cyclists have a record of wins going back to their junior years. SKY's leaders don't (and although Wiggins was a superior athlete, track is not road racing). in a discipline where consistency allows improvement over the years, seeing a dude transforming from mediocre to unbelievable over a season or two is - what?
But most successful cyclists were focussed on the road in their junior days and early 20s. The nature of the BC program at the time meant that the best British talent was funnelled into the Olympic track program. There is a clear difference between training to win things on the road and not being able to, and training to win things on the track so therefore not shining on the road.

To categorise Wiggins and Thomas as mediocre bike riders before they started winning road races is laughable. Claiming Thomas suddenly got this good on the road over a season is also a lazy characterisation that simply isn't true.

wingguy
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:35 am
Sometimes the common sense helps....
Remember Armstrong was never tested positive.....
That's not true.

bikewithnoname
Posts: 1129
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: UK

by bikewithnoname

Thomas has got 2 Olympic golds right?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

User avatar
micky
Posts: 4899
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Vicenza
Contact:

by micky

Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am
TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:06 am
jorisee01 wrote:
TonyM wrote:Some riders had a black armband. Like Nibali and a Groupama/fdj (Italian?) rider.

Does someone know the reason?
Was it for Casartelli?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I just read his story on rouleur. Sad.
https://rouleur.cc/editorial/darkness-a ... asartelli/
I don't think that is the reason. On Belgium television, they asked a DS of Sagan and said it was due to one of the old founders or directors of liguigas team passed away.
Exactly, it was the old Liquigas boss who passed away.
Many of the ex Liquigas team riders are at this TdF.

maquisard
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Location: France

by maquisard

bilwit wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 am
no way the jawbones are super cool and unique (dare I say "old school" ?) at this point. The new Flight/Field Jackets are horrible. Froome used to do the all-white-jawbones in 2012 too 8)
Ha, I ride all the time with a pair of fluo-yellow Jawbones, love them! :thumbup:

wingguy
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Adam Blythe said on Eurosport it's because Thomas has loads of prescription lenses stockpiled for them. Decent chance he was taking the piss though :P

by Weenie


Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post