2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

MRM wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 am
ghisallo2003 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm
The old 'I am on my bike' defence.
Hahahaha
He must have some good recovery drugs to do over a hundred miles day after day. I wonder how often he is tested out of competition in South Africa.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

maquisard wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Chris Froome back on Strava and apparently this is the real deal.

https://www.strava.com/pros/7491815

Quite the training load!
guy has no shame.. he needs to lay low

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

Why's he even posting on Strava. He hasn't posted since March.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Any hints of new Aussie champ jerseys?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lw11

by lw11

LeDuke wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 am
Any hints of new Aussie champ jerseys?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2018-to ... s-gallery/

3rd photo. Pretty much the same as every other year.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:04 am
He must have some good recovery drugs to do over a hundred miles day after day. I wonder how often he is tested out of competition in South Africa.
Every single pro does this based on their strava posts. The whole peloton does this during a grand tour. If you spent 35 hours in the saddle every week for 10 years, you wouldn't be surprised. Again: I'm not protecting Froome, it's just pretty much normal load for a pro.

micky

by micky

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 am
Probably very nervous and felt the needs to do something.
Or just bored.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

micky wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 am
Probably very nervous and felt the needs to do something.
Or just bored.
I think Strava is this big and all cyclist are so much into Strava that it is becoming a kind of social media where the team themselves will be posting stats on their riders. So maybe it's not Froomehimself posting but the team?

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Laying the ground for a public DB ' look how hard he works' strategy.

Why would a team whose numbers and training programme matter greatly in terms of race strategy make them public if there was not a clearly defined purpose?

Rob81

by Rob81

both above + they strip/delete HR/Power data. Focus on distance and volume...
"ehy look how hard he's working". "wow you are my hero" etc etc
As a strategy/PR IS working.

wingguy

by wingguy

nemeseri wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 am
AJS914 wrote:
Every single pro does this based on their strava posts. The whole peloton does this during a grand tour. If you spent 35 hours in the saddle every week for 10 years, you wouldn't be surprised. Again: I'm not protecting Froome, it's just pretty much normal load for a pro.
A guy I know who is 'only' skirting around the edges of domestic UK teams has been averaging just shy of 2000 miles per month since the start of october and he doesn't have a career of GT conditioning to lean on either. Romain Bardet (I think) talked about doing a 35 hour week of trining with 100k+ ft of climbing less than a month before the Tour. So yep, it's def not unusual.

Pretty amusing to see people criticise Sky for releasing some training information (after years of criticising them for being opaque) and acting like it has anything to do with guilt or innocence. Sure, the fact that he's back on Strava is probably part of a cynical PR ploy to get some public support back, but it doesn't imply anything further than that either way.

pastronef

by pastronef

Rob81 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am
both above + they strip/delete HR/Power data. Focus on distance and volume...
"ehy look how hard he's working". "wow you are my hero" etc etc
As a strategy/PR IS working.
it didnt work. on twitter and clinic The Hog analyzed the ride and his 183 bpm heart rate while he was at 165 on the Ventoux.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

wingguy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm
nemeseri wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 am
AJS914 wrote:
A guy I know who is 'only' skirting around the edges of domestic UK teams has been averaging just shy of 2000 miles per month since the start of october and he doesn't have a career of GT conditioning to lean on either. Romain Bardet (I think) talked about doing a 35 hour week of trining with 100k+ ft of climbing less than a month before the Tour. So yep, it's def not unusual.

Pretty amusing to see people criticise Sky for releasing some training information (after years of criticising them for being opaque) and acting like it has anything to do with guilt or innocence. Sure, the fact that he's back on Strava is probably part of a cynical PR ploy to get some public support back, but it doesn't imply anything further than that either way.
Totally agree... I follow quite a few pros on Strava, mostly guys that I like to watch race and it inspires me to ride more. I will say that this is a little above what most guys do, but not much... not out of norm considering he's a team leader for a major team. I was most impressed with the fact that he did 100+ mile ride on the TT bike. Everyone I've talked to says that if you want to be fast on a TT bike, you have to ride it. You have to be comfortable on it.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

wingguy

by wingguy

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm
I was most impressed with the fact that he did 100+ mile ride on the TT bike. Everyone I've talked to says that if you want to be fast on a TT bike, you have to ride it. You have to be comfortable on it.
Right? I doubt anyone GC guy bar Dumoulin does anything close to as many TT miles. I bet it was a major advantage in Dusseldorf being so in tune with the bike.

I remember hearing a story about Andy Schleck (who I like) that his team did a huge amount of windtunnel fitting with him one off season, but come the first GC race of the year he got the mechanics to set his bike up the old way because he preferred the feel. The fitter asked how many rides he'd done in training to try and get used to the windtunnel fit and he said "None". Probably exaggerated, and I doubt many current GC contenders are as unprofessional about it, but you still get the feeling that a lot of them just haven't really tried to master the TT bike.

by Weenie

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

wingguy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 pm
Right? I doubt anyone GC guy bar Dumoulin does anything close to as many TT miles. I bet it was a major advantage in Dusseldorf being so in tune with the bike.

I remember hearing a story about Andy Schleck (who I like) that his team did a huge amount of windtunnel fitting with him one off season, but come the first GC race of the year he got the mechanics to set his bike up the old way because he preferred the feel. The fitter asked how many rides he'd done in training to try and get used to the windtunnel fit and he said "None". Probably exaggerated, and I doubt many current GC contenders are as unprofessional about it, but you still get the feeling that a lot of them just haven't really tried to master the TT bike.
Exactly... I've heard that same story about Schleck. You can also see it with some of the other GC guys like Bardet (although he seems to be spending a little more time on it now) and Quintana, maybe. I know that Porte is fairly good on the TT bike and TVG has always been good on it. I follow him and Strava and see him quite a bit of work on the TT bike. Aru? I don't think so. Nibali? not sure. Valverde?
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT