2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

with all the sprinters missing the time cut, i'm guessing G wins the on the Champs doing a 4KM pursuit seated sprint to the finish in yellow lmao

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Nibali out of the tour after the crash. Something broke in the back/spine

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Rondje

by Rondje

Jugi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 pm
bilwit wrote: God he needs to be slapped. It's a disservice to the yellow jersey if he doesn't FIGHT FOR IT. The DS also confirmed that the plan is still to setup Froome for the win :roll:
I would classify going up Alpe d'Huez in under 40 minutes (and being first over the line in a group of world's fastest), as "fighting for it".

But, Thomas is just a stand in for Froome in the yellow jersey. 15 minutes after a stage as Thomas is receiving his flowers and a yellow jersey, where is Froome? Most likely laid down enjoying his massage.
109th best time ever. :lol:
https://ammattipyoraily.wordpress.com/2 ... p200-list/

I think what he means with fighting for it, is not sticking on Tom's wheel but ride with Tom to distance Froome. Now he just joined Tom every attack and then said no sorry can't work.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

That’s rubbish about Nibali, gutted he’s out.

guyc

by guyc

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 pm
Attermann wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm
maquisard wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Are you talking about Team Sky fans?
Try to look beyond your hatred of Sky. Just once.
why the need to call people wankers?
Because he is a British cycling fan
One-eyed much?

I’d say the same of any ‘fan’ who spits, or kicks etc, any sportsperson regardless of sport or nationality.

It’s called respect.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Too bad we'll never see a LeMond/Hinault type battle. It would make me hate Sky just a little less.
Speedplay is the devil!

bilwit

by bilwit

Rondje wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Jugi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:41 pm
bilwit wrote: God he needs to be slapped. It's a disservice to the yellow jersey if he doesn't FIGHT FOR IT. The DS also confirmed that the plan is still to setup Froome for the win :roll:
I would classify going up Alpe d'Huez in under 40 minutes (and being first over the line in a group of world's fastest), as "fighting for it".

But, Thomas is just a stand in for Froome in the yellow jersey. 15 minutes after a stage as Thomas is receiving his flowers and a yellow jersey, where is Froome? Most likely laid down enjoying his massage.
109th best time ever. :lol:
https://ammattipyoraily.wordpress.com/2 ... p200-list/

I think what he means with fighting for it, is not sticking on Tom's wheel but ride with Tom to distance Froome. Now he just joined Tom every attack and then said no sorry can't work.
Other than the fact that he pulled for Froome after Bernal dropped off during Bardet's attack, he's said publicly, on camera, in pure plainspeak after the stage, that he is there to work for Froome and that Froome is the leader. That tells me he will not fight for the jersey when it comes to it.

maquisard

by maquisard

I think it might end up being more complex than that however. Froome is clearly fatigued, he couldn't make his attack stick and he didn't have a sprint at the end of the stage. On the other hand Froome is a proven three week GT racer but Thomas isn't and could have jour sans any day of the race.

The final ascent to Mende will be an interestng test before Pyrenees.

beswiss

by beswiss

- imo the booing isn't classy but today it seems that Froome was afraid to attack before the barriers started. it's a shame it influences the racing, let alone if people crash out due to spectators being idiots with smoke bombs etc. Steven Rooks said on Dutch TV the booing is a French thing. He should read the tweets/replies on Thijs Zonneveld twitter account (Dutch journalist/ex pro)...
- on The Move podcast, Johan Bruyneel said Quintana and Landa were probably not happy to attack but we're instructed to by the DS regardless of having the legs.
- The +41 min time on the Alp was due to: headwind, heat, 5000m of climbing, 3rd days in the Alps and most of all sitting up in the last 3km which cost about a minute ( Landa and Nibbling came back)
C'dale SuperSix Evo Sram Red, Cube Agree GTC Race SL, Granville MTB XT

bilwit

by bilwit

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 pm
I think it might end up being more complex than that however. Froome is clearly fatigued, he couldn't make his attack stick and he didn't have a sprint at the end of the stage. On the other hand Froome is a proven three week GT racer but Thomas isn't and could have jour sans any day of the race.

The final ascent to Mende will be an interestng test before Pyrenees.
didn't stop him from roflstomping everyone at the Vuelta last year and having a miraculous comeback at the Giro this year, how could you doubt him? :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

Attermann wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm
why the need to call people wankers?
We're talking about people who travelled to the Alpe and waited for days so they could commit premeditated assault. What would you call them?

wingguy

by wingguy

Daniel1975 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm
that is a damn shame about the moto....
That he took the wrong rider? ;-)
Come on dude. That's beyond weak.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

wingguy wrote:
Daniel1975 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm
that is a damn shame about the moto....
That he took the wrong rider? ;-)
Come on dude. That's beyond weak.
Yep. Not a huge Froome or Sky fan, but I want a fair contest. If Froome wins or loses, I want it to be because he was a better or worse bike racer across 21 stages. Not because he gets clipped by a race moto or some drunk/crazed “fan”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Also, CyclingNews collected a couple of fan Twitter videos - was 100% spectators, not a moto. There's a group in red with some massive flags on poles, they're also hanging a couple of smaller flags and things at waist height and one of them either goes in his spokes or snags the handlebars.

Alpe d'Huez is out of control. Like the guy deciding he wanted hundreds of meters worth of video of himself running alongside Kruijswijk and smashing other spectators out of the way so he could do it. Should be a questionnaire to gain entry - do you want to watch the bikerace or do you just wanna be the star of your own Instagram story? (To be recycled ad nauseum for the next 6 months - "TBT to the time that guy in lycra punched me in the face 'cos I was screaming in his ear for two whole hairpins" :roll: )

Snabb

by Snabb

guyc wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 pm
And since when were G and Froome not amongst the world’s best climbers?

Is it 1999 since you watched any racing?
They are donkeys that became race horses. First Wiggins who was a late 20 something second tier TT type guy who suddenly became a world class climber. Then Froome who wasn`t even cutting it as a domestique and got thrown out of the Giro for cheating. Suddenly in his late 20s he got asthma and discovered he hade a blood disease all his life and he actually was a multiple GT winner. Froome before Vuelta 2011 was a bum and G was a second tier classics rider who became world beating climber at the age of 32. You must eat fish and chips and have bad teeth to believe in that story.

I want to believe goddamit u wankers!
Last edited by Snabb on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride lots!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com