2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Oh yeah, here is one perfectly well practiced F1 wheelchange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAjkw6J9KFs

Willier

by Willier

New Look spoted at Dauphine:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

I’m surprised nobody has commented on Porte’s attack on stage 6.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Willier wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am
New Look spoted at Dauphine:

before I'll say "wow that's a nice one" I'd like to know if it's as much of a pig aero-wise as the 795 is (compared to e.g. Aeroad or Madone)

I'd love to get back to Look one day, but currently I can't find anyhing for myself in their range :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ave

by ave

>I’m surprised nobody has commented on Porte’s attack on stage 6.
Was there something unbeliavable in it? It was a good one, certainly, he gained 12 seconds.
(No one commented Landa's attack either. That was miscalculated.)

Marin

by Marin

mentok wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:12 pm
Without a clutch you get heaps of chain drop.
No. I run 4 bikes with Sram 1x: two road bikes, one Allroad bike, one MTB. Only the Allroad has a clutch derailleur (because it's the best way to shift 10-42), the others don't, and I never have chain drop.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

GVA such a beast launching Richie Porte on the last climb !

bilwit

by bilwit

ave wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:29 am
>I’m surprised nobody has commented on Porte’s attack on stage 6.
Was there something unbeliavable in it? It was a good one, certainly, he gained 12 seconds.
(No one commented Landa's attack either. That was miscalculated.)
It was the closing kilometer on a short climb, hardly unbelievable. We've seen him do that same double kick every year up Willunga
djcharlou wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm
GVA such a beast launching Richie Porte on the last climb !
Very impressive from GVA, didn't think he had it in him to go all out as a domestique but here he is being the last man standing (isn't this supposed to be TJVGs job? :noidea: )

AJS914

by AJS914

ome rodriguez wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm
Bad news for single chainrings...

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... lem-383170
It's a dumb solution for a road racing bike. I have 1X on my gravel bike and I don't even like it there.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

ome rodriguez wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm
Bad news for single chainrings...

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... lem-383170
Yes, this "technology" being pushed by Vroomen and SRAM is not appropriate for the top level of racing. It is basically giving the riders and mechanics a handicap. I do not understand this movement toward 1x road. Front shifting has never, ever been better on road groups, be it Shimano, Campagnolo or SRAM. Plus it opens up a nice tight spread of gearing with a 2x11 drivetrain, again perfect for road racing. The whole aerodynamic argument is foolish, the air at the chainring is already very dirty with the crankarms, pedals and riders feet/legs. Any difference in aero in mass start racing is completely washed out.

In case anyone missed it, here is a podcast from CyclingTips where one of the AquaBlue team mechanics explains the challenges:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/cycling ... ks-one-by/

At any rate, given that the team owner and a rider have now publicly blown out the bike and components I think the sponsorship deal is likely on very thin ice. It would not surprise me to see the team riding a different bike and group in the near future. Hopefully this will be the death blow for 1x road.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 pm
In case anyone missed it, here is a podcast from CyclingTips where one of the AquaBlue team mechanics explains the challenges:
This is pretty awesome content. I'm surprised how honestly he spoke about the challenges. It sounds like a nightmare for a mechanic.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

More like a nightmare for the riders. Cant say I’m the least bit surprised. What I am surprised about is the public bashing by the owner and riders. Can’t imagine that “sponsorship relationship” having much of a future.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 pm
Yes, this "technology" being pushed by Vroomen and SRAM is not appropriate for the top level of racing. It is basically giving the riders and mechanics a handicap. I do not understand this movement toward 1x road. Front shifting has never, ever been better on road groups, be it Shimano, Campagnolo or SRAM. Plus it opens up a nice tight spread of gearing with a 2x11 drivetrain, again perfect for road racing. The whole aerodynamic argument is foolish, the air at the chainring is already very dirty with the crankarms, pedals and riders feet/legs. Any difference in aero in mass start racing is completely washed out.

At any rate, given that the team owner and a rider have now publicly blown out the bike and components I think the sponsorship deal is likely on very thin ice. It would not surprise me to see the team riding a different bike and group in the near future. Hopefully this will be the death blow for 1x road.
If you want to just hear the Aquablue mechanic, you can move forward to minute 37.