2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 am
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Doesn't a baby in a rider's late 20s or early 30s usually mean retirement anyway?
This. It doesn't matter because no one is gonna get pregnant and then re-enter the WT. Adding maternity leave is good optics with no cost.
why? having a baby with proper rest (puting aside the fact some might be active, perhaps not racing but at least training up to few months in) can be done like in 1-1,5 year. so if you plan it right, and things work out, you can miss as little as one full season. some will do it faster, some longer, but there's no single obstacle for women after having a child to come back to pro sport :lol:

and for young gals it must be encouraging to see they won't have to chose between being a women (in purely biological and kinda patriarchal way) and a pro athlete.

see:

https://www.liv-cycling.com/global/camp ... lete/21887

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/m ... -pregnancy
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Lelandjt wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Doesn't a baby in a rider's late 20s or early 30s usually mean retirement anyway?
This. It doesn't matter because no one is gonna get pregnant and then re-enter the WT. Adding maternity leave is good optics with no cost.
Lizzie Diegnan is doing exactly what you're claiming no one does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
Lizzie Diegnan is doing exactly what you're claiming no one does.

There's no doubt that the stars of the women's peloton will not be impacted by this. But, sadly, I think teams will find ways to get around the potential of having to pay out contracts for lesser riders who may be out for the thick end of a whole season. Those who may be on the UCI minimum and fighting for a contract year to year will be the ones to suffer. It will not be easily visible but it will happen.

And I don't see how adding maternity leave is good optics with no cost. It adds to the cost of running a team. If a rider is out for a season or 3/4 of one, wouldn't the team have to hire another rider to take their place in the roster? Isn't that an added cost?

I am not saying that this policy is necessarily a bad thing. It is and has been commonplace in the real world for decades now. But we have all heard the shenanigans that go on in the women's side of the sport with riders being paid very little and being taken advantage of. I think this initiative will only add to that.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

:shock:

there's no 'paper' way to make certain people stop abusing rules. no matter how good the law is, there will always be individuals trying to take advantage and some of them will get away with it. I fail to see how creating law regulating this 'grey area' of maternity and salary issues actually makes case worse for women? if a team has a history of abuse, it's partially due to the fact there was no strict rules on this matter. same with minimum wage. so what teams used to do, although wrong, wasn't illegal. however if they continue on this path, it's gonna be plain and simple illegal, and that's pretty discouraging I'd say.

there's probably no better way to fight discrimination and abuse than through education. setting up a 'code' for teams (which are owned and ran by men) is also kinda this - showing guidelines on what you can and can't do. as funny as it might sound in 2018, many bosses (and I'm talking in general here) would benefit from that kind of primary school level tutoring regarding women. yes they do need protection, because they're notoriously abused and have hard time proving it to male judges/officers etc. yes they need to be treated equally as men, because we're not superior in any way or form, despite what some of us think of themselves. yes they are women after all, just like our moms, and they have to give birth. and no, just because of that we can't expect them to, or make them chose between job and career, because - yup - we're equal and free to make out own decisions.

as for teams, and potential costs: give me a break - one year paid leave will cost them what? an equivalent of one bike? perhaps two? :wink: sh*t, that's gonna ruin them! remind me, how long was Cav out due to his 'flamboyant' bike stunts? how big portion of their budget was DiData paying him despite having no use of his 'skills'? :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Kjetil wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:51 am
Well. It has been done by top level athletes with excellent comebacks in cross country skiing, biathlon and athletics.
In fact viewed as potential for enhanced performance.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I don't expect this will be a common thing. The rider you mention is going to try it but see if it works out before you give her as an example.

KWalker

by KWalker

Lots of women can exercise very close to childbirth before and after. It's a traumatic experience, but no worse than TP's leg break or any major injury especially with the proliferation of indoor training.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lelandjt wrote:I don't expect this will be a common thing. The rider you mention is going to try it but see if it works out before you give her as an example.
Seems to have worked out well enough for Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjå...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisN

by LouisN

From CYclocrossrider: ''VAN AERT FREE TO NEGOTIATE 2019 ROAD CONTRACT: It looks highly likely that the triple World champion Wout van Aert will join the Jumbo Supermarkten Pro Cycling Team a season early.
"We have received the official message from the UCI today that Wout van Aert can negotiate freely with a new employer, insofar as this transfer is realised before 31 December 2018. This means that Wout van Aert can start negotiations with a new team, so that he can get to the start of the coming cycling season on the road," Van Aert's lawyer Walter Van Steenbrugge told Sport.be. ''

I'm looking forward to the spring classics :D !!!!

stoney

by stoney

LouisN wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 am

Wout has put on 10 kilos since last spring. He may have a hard time getting over the bergs with the lead group. He is suffering bad right now trying to keep up with MvdP in the CX races.

pastronef

by pastronef

not a fan of either Van Aert of VDP. am I bad?
and it looks like VDP will smash the mtb too. dont like that

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

stoney wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm
LouisN wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 am

Wout has put on 10 kilos since last spring. He may have a hard time getting over the bergs with the lead group. He is suffering bad right now trying to keep up with MvdP in the CX races.
That may be what he has said to justify his lack luster (relative to him obviously) cx performances as of late. From the video coverage I've seen of him recently it sure doesn't look like he has added 10 kilos to me! Maybe someone has seen him in person or at races and can comment on my comment :lol: .
More than 10 years a Weenie!

ms6073

by ms6073

I think WVA's comment about adding kilo's was more of a tongue-in-cheek response to early season jabs about his CX results not meeting everyone's expectations. I mean how well would you be racing if you had to deal with not only having to manage the logistics of putting together a race program from scratch while on a plane to the US in order to race at the world tour level for cyclocross, not to mention the very real possibility of having to write a check for close to a million euros to your former team?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Plus he said the weight gain was down to adding power for the road. Whippets don't dominate classics seasons anyway. No matter how much weight WvA has put on is he heavier than Cancellara? Heavier than Boonen?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

pastronef wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm
not a fan of either Van Aert of VDP. am I bad?
and it looks like VDP will smash the mtb too. dont like that
What's not to like about MvdP? He got it all, highly skilled, multi-talented and likes to ride offensive. While at the same time he doesn't come over as an arrogant guy.