2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

guyc wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:34 pm
And who will those French fans spit at?
The xenophobes from Hampshire? :smartass:

guyc

by guyc

:roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Cyclingtips is reporting (originally an interview for a dutch magazine) that Sagan might switch to mountain biking after his Bora contract is up:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/12/wiggins ... ws-digest/
“It’s not like 15 years ago when Mario Cipollini was in charge,” Sagan said. “Often one rider was the captain of the entire peloton. That’s no longer the case. I think the respect in the peloton has disappeared. Everyone is only thinking about themselves. I have a few friends in the pack, real friends. I can have fun with them. But as far as the lack of respect is concerned, it gets worse every year. Sometimes it’s just a lot. I am glad that it only takes a few years for me. It is impossible for me to spend another fifteen years in this cycling world.”

Sagan’s contract with Bora-Hansgrohe runs through 2021. Bora press officer Gabriele Uboldi responded to Sagan’s comments, saying, “Every season requires a lot of energy from Peter. About 85 percent of the interviews he does, he finds boring. Peter now only thinks of his contract. When that commitment expires, he will decide whether he returns to mountain biking or whether he continues to race on the road.”

Sagan’s comments are consistent with what he’s said in the past. In November 2016, he told CyclingTips his career could perhaps last another “three, four, five, six years — I don’t know for how many.” He’s raced two more seasons since then, and is contracted for three more, but it’s growing clear the Slovakian has an eye on exiting the pro peloton at a relatively young age.

micky

by micky

Reminds a bit comments like the ones of Boonen "...I will quit racing at 30 years old" which then of course didnt happen.

micky

by micky

Campagnolo SR EPS 12s

pastronef

by pastronef

micky wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 pm
Campagnolo SR EPS 12s

very nice bike :thumbup:

no disc brakes in sight at the Lotto-Soudal training camp
Wellens wearing real Gaernes (and not Specys with shoecovers) and also Blythe (no more Nikes) and Ewan (bye bye Bont)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1) Comcast clearly isn’t as interested in cycling as Rupert.
2) The team has nowhere to go, but down. This is especially true with two oil-rich teams upping their budgets over the next few years.
3) Frankly I expect another Emirati state to swoop in and buy the team...Abu Dhabi seems likely.
4) No successful tech company is going to bother with sponsorship. They don’t need to promote themselves through tertiary means...they don’t need the bad publicity from drug scandals. Maybe Elon because he’s crazy and his image is already tarnished.

ichobi

by ichobi

This is just the perfect spot for the chinese riches. Wanda was making headlines but faded out probably cant be arsed to build the team from the ground up.

Here is the access they have been waiting for. can just takeover the whole package with billions to spare plus guaranteed GT wins. Blank cheque. No question asked. DB does whatever he always do. I doubt they care about ethics like the Brits do either. Not saying this is all a good or bad thing but definitely a business deal to be had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwilson

by gwilson

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 am
3) Frankly I expect another Emirati state to swoop in and buy the team...Abu Dhabi seems likely.
They kind of already have a team.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gwilson wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 am
They kind of already have a team.

I keep forgetting the UAE team is Abu Dhabi instead of Dubai because Emirates is based in Dubai (vs Etihad in Abu Dhabi.) Anyway there's other gulf states like Qatar with money to throw around. Maybe China will try again too after the last minute TJSport pull-out.

itguy

by itguy

Was hoping Red Bull would step up and take in the team

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

http://www.sport.be/cycling/nl/materiaa ... -_E3SmEkAc

New bike of CCC...designers were on holiday I guess...

guyc

by guyc

Plain black with orange bottles.

For real?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

itguy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 am
Was hoping Red Bull would step up and take in the team

Red Bull seems more interested in individual contracts when it comes to cycling, whether Kate Courtney, Emily Batty or Danny MacAskill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

bruno2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am
http://www.sport.be/cycling/nl/materiaa ... -_E3SmEkAc

New bike of CCC...designers were on holiday I guess...
I quite like it. Plain and simple, just as I would have my own bike look. But it isn't what you usually see in the Pro peloton and certainly not from a team whose claim to fame is sporting screaming orange...everything :unbelievable: