2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

Changing the subject slightly, I think the UCI and ASO need to change the time cut on mountain stages of short duration.

I am not a big fan of Cavendish but good sprinters like Kittel were also dropped today. This will only get worse on the super-short stage in the Pyrenees. The autobus will have to ride with great speed that day and many will not make the cut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

maquisard wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm
KWalker wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 pm
I'm sorry, but budget gets you equipment, smooth logistics, doctors/trainers, etc. but the tactics part can't really be bought.
So you can buy a good doctor, a good trainer, but you can't buy a DS who is a good tactician... bit of a stupid thing to say :smartass:
I don't know if it is that they bought the best DS just because that DS was expensive and no one compares, or they paid the right DS to pay attention to the right factors in a race instead of hiring some washed up pro or long-time sports manager that "knows cycling"
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 pm
guyc wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:55 pm
DNF for Cav.
(...)
Cav was actually "HD" hors-delai, so he did finish but came too late.
https://twitter.com/AshleyPresents/stat ... tory.shtml

It seems that he also headbutted a journalist after he crossed the line :shock:
The footage I've seen shows Cav crossing the line and someone backing slightly into him, he caught this person very lightly with his shoulder, his head made no contact.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

guyc wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm
rainerhq wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 pm
rainerhq wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 pm
Thats how a rider should perform. Not like these cry babies Cav, Kittel etc. They won´t make it today.
:D :D :D :D
A cry baby who finished the stage despite knowing he was out of the race.
Get a grip.
Real men still in game :thumbup:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Rondje

by Rondje

maquisard wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 pm
Changing the subject slightly, I think the UCI and ASO need to change the time cut on mountain stages of short duration.

I am not a big fan of Cavendish but good sprinters like Kittel were also dropped today. This will only get worse on the super-short stage in the Pyrenees. The autobus will have to ride with great speed that day and many will not make the cut.
They already extended the time cut for yesterday's stage. They argued that if the normal time cut was held, 60+ people wouldn't have made the time cut when they did this stage in the Dauphine, so that's why they extended it. You have to draw the line somewhere. How is it possible that a lighter Cavendish can't climb faster than a heavier and injured Groenewegen? Greipel is also a lot heavier and made the time cut.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

When was the last time Quintana attacked? He is without doubt the most overrated GC contender in recent years, I’ll even include TJvG in that, the roles should have been reversed in Movistar IMO, at least Valverde shows heart.

micky

by micky

Valverde attacked probably because he knew he wouldn't have the legs in the final climb.
But yes, Quintana miss that kick/no looking back attacks he did in first 2 years at Movistar.
It mays as well not help that now he's one of the main GC riders and everyone expect him to do his move first.

Jugi

by Jugi

wingguy wrote: The tactics are simple though it's not just the ability but the discipline within the team to carry them out with no regard to personal ambition, from riders who could easily be protected stars with domestiques of their own if they rode for any other outfit.
And it gets simplified even further tactically, when the performance is there. Performance brings confidence into planning and it becomes mathematics. They know they can control the peloton up a HC, cat 1 and cat 2 climb. They know they will control the peloton without major misshaps or extraordinary surprises. From that point on, it is only a question of where to deliver the deadly blows to other GC contenders.

Yesterday's showdown was classic stage race tactics:
1. Ride the most important bits so hard as a team, that the peloton disintegrates. That is stripping the opposition's weapons both mentally and physically (= tactically).
2. Arrive near the end with remaining GC contenders isolated and one strong domestique still attached. Make him push the pace even further taking the initiative.
3. The other contenders will not have allied so much against you that they could ride against you as a team. They won't be able to negotiate at that point, as they are ultimately contending against each other as well. They don't know each others ambitions or abilities. If one guy decides to "chase the rabbit", your captain gets a free ride up to the line and an opportunity for a stage win.
4. If everybody stalls, no time is lost in GC, the last domestique goes for stage win and improves his position in GC. Almost every eventiality is a positive at that point.
5. In a Grand Tour, all of this needs to happen a couple of times in the most critical stages regarding the GC. On other days it's everybody in a holding pattern: react only if GC is at risk and limit losses at all times.

micky

by micky

The other day Nibali said after a stage "...it might have looked boring on tv, but the pace was so hard it was impossible to do any move. Them (Sky) have a bigger budget and can have the best riders controlling the race, not allowing anyone to even think to attack".

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Im not expecting much today until Alp D’Huez, and I pray spectators don’t affect the result.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am
Im not expecting much today until Alp D’Huez, and I pray spectators don’t affect the result.
Agree. The flat part between Allemond and start of the AdH-climb is to long to ride a solo. Maybe a break away, but no GC riders.

Spectators: I was surprised about the spectators yesterday. I expected more boo-ing etc, but I did not hear much on televison. I think it will be different on the Alpe.

Rondje

by Rondje

Abandon Rigoberto Uran. too much pain of his injuries from the P-R stage.

maquisard

by maquisard

A real shame after last year, but he looked completely wrecked and is better withdrawing and having a go at the Vuelta

mrgray

by mrgray

Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

a perspective from twitter (hear me out :-)), are Sky's tactics that great in that they've got Froome wasting energy vying with Geraint (or vice versa for that matter)?

Is it possible though the tactic here is two GC contenders is better than one?

Or does Dave really not have control over this at some point?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D