2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stoney

by stoney

mrgray wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:04 am
a perspective from twitter (hear me out :-)), are Sky's tactics that great in that they've got Froome wasting energy vying with Geraint (or vice versa for that matter)?

Is it possible though the tactic here is two GC contenders is better than one?

Or does Dave really not have control over this at some point?
Sky "promised" to give Thomas the freedom to do his own race and go for the win and Froome said the mountains would sort out who the leader was. Froome may be wishing he hadn't said that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

at some point in time, either froome is going to attack G, or G is going to be asked to drop time intentionally.... (and make it look legit)

i like G, despite all the crashes, i think he interviews well and good personality. I hate his oakleys though haha

guyc

by guyc

rainerhq wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 am
Real men still in game :thumbup:
:roll:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i am also hoping nairo can take the third week and froome fades with all those giro miles in his legs.

maquisard

by maquisard

nathanong87 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 pm
at some point in time, either froome is going to attack G, or G is going to be asked to drop time intentionally.... (and make it look legit)

i like G, despite all the crashes, i think he interviews well and good personality. I hate his oakleys though haha
I think everyone knows that at some point Thomas will collapse - Sky only have one 3 week GT rider.

If people want a reality check look at other proven British GT riders like Adam and Simon Yates and how the latter collapsed in the final week of Giro. Important to remember that both Adam and Simon have consistently finished top 10 in Tour. Thomas hasn't shown anything like that form over three weeks.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I take your point, but past performance is not always an indicator of future performance. This might be G’s first decent 3 week tour, or he might crack like Yates did in the Giro.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

there used to be one basic rule - you don't chase your own teammate. Froome broke that rule yesterday, he seemed furious Thomas was riding away, and just couldn't help himself. IMHO it's a good thing he did, it brings more spectacle and makes SKY's role less obvious. we need as much competition as we can, even if it means shattering a team from within.

as for who I'd rather win - Thomas or Froome, I'd say Kwiato 8)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

LouisN

by LouisN

seaneT1 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 pm
To be honest.... And that is why we have a "really good" team, like sky right now, made to look like a super unbeatable team from outer space ( which they are most definitely not) ....
I can't help thinking about some US team from a few years back. We read the same commentaries at the time, how dominant they were, how well they were prepared especially for the TDF and so on.... :wink:

One thing I admire.
Someone has to give credit to any DS who recruits world class riders with a natural spirit of sacrifice to their team.
These riders are a key to any GT success more than ever, now that riders have to pace themselves ( compared to the 90's and early 2000's ... ;) ) to get to the 3rd week in decent form.
tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 pm
as for who I'd rather win - Thomas or Froome, I'd say Kwiato 8)
In the CCC team colors :thumbup:

Louis :)

Rondje

by Rondje

Yesterday Kittel and Cavendish, now Groenewegen and Greipel. Seems like a killer TDF for the sprinters.

guyc

by guyc

Rondje wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:38 pm
Yesterday Kittel and Cavendish, now Groenewegen and Greipel.
Apparently none of the above are 'real men'.

Rondje

by Rondje

guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm
Rondje wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:38 pm
Yesterday Kittel and Cavendish, now Groenewegen and Greipel.
Apparently none of the above are 'real men'.
What makes that of us mere mortals... :wink:

guyc

by guyc

Rondje wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:42 pm

What makes that of us mere mortals... :wink:
The mind boggles..... :thumbup:

Rondje

by Rondje

Pfff... Abandon Gaviria.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Are Lotto setting up a double sling-shot for Roglic? Or will he of the coat-hanger shoulders hold on?

Meanwhile there are no sprinters left in the race...
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 pm
there used to be one basic rule - you don't chase your own teammate. Froome broke that rule yesterday, he seemed furious Thomas was riding away, and just couldn't help himself.
He didn't need to break anything, just had to cover Martin's attack, what any other team would have done as well.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike