2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

euan

by euan

micky wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 pm
Tom Pidcock left Telenet for something called TPR (Tom Pidcock Racing?) registered in UK with 3 riders including him.
McQuaid strikes again

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

KWalker wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:25 pm
Cav I could see signing a 2 year contract and pulling a swan song to hopefully get the record number of Tour stage wins.
I just don't see Cav winning anything of any significance again. he won't have a strong team, he's got no legs to compete with Sags or Viv in more messy situations, and he appears to have lost his head as well. if it wasn't for the latter, he'd probably be a good role model figure in some team with younger riders, but I just don't think he's up to the job
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I think one last season with small victories but nothing big for cav

So much concurrence right now in the sprints ...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Both Morton and Phinney need to get over the whole (I'm too cool and hip to really care about Pro Cycling, but am doing it anyway) routine that they rely on. Those two would be racing in cut off jean shorts and denim jackets if they thought they could get more social media attention out of it. Both of those guys irritate the hell out of me.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ms6073

by ms6073

wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 am
Both Morton and Phinney need to get over the whole (I'm too cool and hip to really care about Pro Cycling, but am doing it anyway) routine that they rely on.
Back in the day, I raced with/against his dad and while I don't know Taylor, I see in him many of the qualities that made both his mother and father such great racers. In some ways, I think Taylor is simply trying to downplay various anxieties, chief among them probably being his father's health.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I don't disagree that it's annoying to observe.... but perhaps they found a sweet spot in making a living off cycling while having a (relatively) balanced life?

bilwit

by bilwit

wheelbuilder wrote:
Both Morton and Phinney need to get over the whole (I'm too cool and hip to really care about Pro Cycling, but am doing it anyway) routine that they rely on. Those two would be racing in cut off jean shorts and denim jackets if they thought they could get more social media attention out of it. Both of those guys irritate the hell out of me.
Meh, not my style but I don't mind. Riders these days are kind of required to pimp themselves on social media for contract leverage/sponsor kudos. That sort of hipster subculture is pretty big these days with the kids

petepeterson

by petepeterson

KWalker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 am
Kuss looking impressive in a field of B riders doing some race miles before the Vuelta. Hopefully he doesn't have the same curse as other winners of the race who have gone on to do almost zippo since:
-Rob Britton- I dunno how it's fun to keep gunning for the status of Biggest Fish in a Weak-Ass pond for so long.
I guess it's all about perspective. Britton is a good case study for any young rider out there who isn't insanely naturally gifted to make it as a domestic GC guy. I watched him come up through our local development program and through commitment and consistency the guy has had a long pro career with solid results.
Last edited by petepeterson on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

edit - responding about Phinney

It probably keeps him employed. With so many pros, we have no clue about their personality. These days pros that do podcasts, videos, and social media will have an edge at contract time.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Top 10 in Roubaix doesn't hurt either. That changed my mind about the guy especially after the injuries.

IchDien

by IchDien

wheelbuilder wrote:
I'm more than sure they are just hipsters who happen to defintely care about pro cycling, not the other way around. I work in a field 100% full of hipsters (fashion), I assure you they are people who are dedicated to their jobs! Although, of course, part of being "cool" is pretending you aren't really trying at anything...read Baldassare Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier if you would like to know more about this, particularly the concept of sprezzatura (also applies to any job, anywhere).

davidalone

by davidalone

maquisard wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 am
Tony Martin leaving Katusha-Alpecin to Lotto-NL. This is a surprise given the strong German links to the team with both Alpecin and Canyon.

On the other hand good to see Lotto-NL getting stronger.
Looks like an upcoming team that has been run very well in the past few years. Groenewegen, Bennet, Kuss, Powless, Roglic, are all riders for the future.

I could see them putting together a tour GC team to challlenge Sky. of course then that means no support for Groenewegen, but I hink if they go all in for GC they may have a shot.

Leader: Roglic
Super Domestiques: Krujiswick,Gesink
Climbers: Kuss, Bennet
TT engines: Martin, Van Emden, Lars Boom/Stef Clement

Wookski

by Wookski

IchDien wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 am
I'm more than sure they are just hipsters who happen to defintely care about pro cycling, not the other way around. I work in a field 100% full of hipsters (fashion), I assure you they are people who are dedicated to their jobs! Although, of course, part of being "cool" is pretending you aren't really trying at anything...read Baldassare Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier if you would like to know more about this, particularly the concept of sprezzatura (also applies to any job, anywhere).
To quote my favourite cycling Instagram account “Over thinking over thinking”

Antoine

by Antoine

davidalone wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 am

I could see them putting together a tour GC team to challlenge Sky.

Leader: Roglic
Super Domestiques: Krujiswick,Gesink
Climbers: Kuss, Bennet
TT engines: Martin, Van Emden, Lars Boom/Stef Clement
Not sure Kruijswijk wants to work for Roglic.
Quick Step and Sky are able to make even their best riders work for each other and leave behind their personnal ambition (at least for a race or stage), but it's not often the case for most teams.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yeah, but then those domestiques get their own leadership roles and proper teams to work with. see Kwiato's TdP win, it's a perfect example how this team works. unless you don't apply same rules, letting all your big shots have some race for their own, it just won't work. all for one, one for all kind of attitude.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com