2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^That’s why I specifically mentioned Mavics freehub. The bushing they use always seems to be the culprit that needs frequent lubrication and maintenance. I’ve seen those hubs push the chain into the chain stay when you stop pedaling.
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 am
Really. Go throw them in the 53/11 and spin up the rear wheel and see what happens.
Campagnolo on the other hand, particularly with CULT bearings... well... just watch...
https://vimeo.com/280130091
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Fait call. Is still question where the drag is coming from going that in a situation where the BB and freehub bearings are in good condition the pawls should still offer some level of drive.

Anyway completely off topic and plenty of examples out there showing that what was seen isn't motor doping including a clip of him winding the cranks over as he got up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Certainly not implying a motor was present at all. Just showing how little friction there is when everything is perfect. And you would assume these guys’ bikes are tuned up pretty nicely. But yes, back to the racing... although tomorrow is a rest day after all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Antoine

by Antoine

maquisard wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Bardet - limited losses
Landa - limited losses
Uran - limited losses but lost a bit of time
Amazing chase for Movistar to bring back Landa, EF with Phinney, Van Marcke and Scully couldn't do the same for Uran.
Too bad Bardet had to use all his teammates from the first cooble section, they were strong (especially Dillier and Naesen), otherwise they and could have gone for the stage win.

Now we'll see tomorrow who has actually suffer the most among the GC contenders.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am
Can anyone explain to me why the hell it seems like every time a Sky rider crashed, everyone slowed down?
Looked to me like when Sky went down everyone slowed because Sky were going so fast, they just took a breather
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

maquisard

by maquisard

Antoine wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:03 am
Amazing chase for Movistar to bring back Landa, EF with Phinney, Van Marcke and Scully couldn't do the same for Uran.
Too bad Bardet had to use all his teammates from the first cooble section, they were strong (especially Dillier and Naesen), otherwise they and could have gone for the stage win.

Now we'll see tomorrow who has actually suffer the most among the GC contenders.
Bardet had help from TV motos and team car also if reports are correct.

basilic

by basilic

you're right about the motos. The final break (GvA, YL, JD) as well, they were riding through a cloud of dust from the moto, certainly not in "clean air".

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Super disappointed I didn’t record live to watch later, the ITV highlights felt rushed and half as long as they probably could have been, felt like I actually missed more because they tried to squeeze so much in to the hour slot.

Moto’s looked way too close all day IMO, I get we love seeing the action but there’s no way it didn’t effect the race at basically every point.

Ref the spinning crank discussion, my wheels do that every time I clean out the old grease and put some fresh stuff in the pawls, doesn’t last long unless I put too much in, not hard to imagine mechanics just putting a tiny bit more in on a stage like yesterday’s...

sychen

by sychen

basilic wrote:you're right about the motos. The final break (GvA, YL, JD) as well, they were riding through a cloud of dust from the moto, certainly not in "clean air".
Ya watching it I was pretty annoyed the motos didn't really know what they were doing. They slowed so much that the GVA group were dragged out of corners and given a free tow over and over.
Froome group didn't have this advantage ... Chase groups definitely did.
Is it some inexperienced riders drafted in for this stage? Certainly seem like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

What a well deserved win for Dege. He has worked so hard since his accident and he has had so poor luck the last two years since he came back.

I just love to se how emotional he is about it. He never stopped working and fighting for that win. And his emotions just summed it all up.

I really hope this gives him the self believe and self confidence to be in the mix for the big races from now on. He was a big star in 2015 with the PR and MSR wins. Who wins two monuments in the same season these days. Really looking forward to hopefully more success for him.

Multebear

by Multebear

Why no mentions of Fuglsang? He’s pretty good placed in the GC, and he attacked twice yesterday on the cobbles.

And Nibalis success on the cobbled stage in 2014, was mostly thanks to Fuglsang, who safely pulled him through.

With the Daufine victory last year and 2nd in Switzerland this year, he’s up there as well.

jorryt

by jorryt

Dumoulin and Fuglsang seemed to have very good legs of the GC Guys. Quintana did well with not losing time. It's just a shame that Fuglsang and Dumoulin were the only ones not too afraid to attack.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

personally, I think Skujns put the chain on and kicked the pedal.... but, there are photographers all over that scene, surely there are photographs that will clear up exactly what he was doing off-camera, that we can't see on the video feed.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So just watching the stage now, a question, how come Bardet keeps fiddling with his right hand side bar end when ever he gets a bike change?

Edit - his Di2 - thanks Adam Blythe

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Check out @gorman_colin’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/gorman_colin/status ... 58625?s=09

Bends over and sorts the chain out . Witch hunt be gone.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com