2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The tin foil hats need to be put away. Taking a big engine from a track background and re tuning it into an endurance machine isnt vodo, the difference is it just not "the norm" outside on the BC program. But hey, If it's not being done the way Adam did it back when he was kicking about with Moses then it has to be doping right? A wheel spins after a chain is put back on and there is a motor in a bike, someone attacks and fails then they "wasted an opportunity", someone sits in and hammers the finish and they're boring (except Sagan at worlds). Some of you must be heaps fun to chat with at dinner.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wingguy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 am
Adam Blythe said on Eurosport it's because Thomas has loads of prescription lenses stockpiled for them. Decent chance he was taking the piss though :P
haha i had to dig up this gif i made (yes he actually said these things haha)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't think Thomas his progression is that suspicious. He has been slowly making the move to become a GC man for a few years now. And we still don't know if he can keep it up for 3 weeks. Froome is another topic on its own, but I won't get into that.
I fully agree.
The progression of Froome is much more suspicious. He really came from nowhere.

Rondje

by Rondje

nathanong87 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 pm
wingguy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 am
Adam Blythe said on Eurosport it's because Thomas has loads of prescription lenses stockpiled for them. Decent chance he was taking the piss though :P
haha i had to dig up this gif i made (yes he actually said these things haha)

Haha, wasn't that after Barguil missed a corner and bumped him into a pole? He is a funny guy, just not the right team to be funny in since everyone there is so serious. But really... those glasses

AJS914

by AJS914

Daniel1975 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm
I'd like to hear the actual come from nowhere theory from the conspiracy theorists. It was suggested that Froome was on the ropes in his career and Sky suggested to him that he was on the cusp of getting fired and then all of a sudden he's like a new rider.

So how does a 3rd tier rider about to be fired come up with the resources to transform himself? Are you guys saying that Sky has the secret drugs available and is just waiting for their riders to get desperate enough to say yes to their program?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm
So how does a 3rd tier rider about to be fired come up with the resources to transform himself? Are you guys saying that Sky has the secret drugs available and is just waiting for their riders to get desperate enough to say yes to their program?
No point even trying to ask. Coherent logic is the main thing usually lacking in the conspiracies, and this is no exception.

Just a couple of questions:
* If Froome's "magic transformation" is drug-induced, how about other teams not having access to the same shit? Not even knowing what it is? For like five, six years? What has prevented them of creating their own multiple-GTs-winning frankenstein???
* Or, the other way around, at this moment, if Dumoulin keeps up with the Sky train, it must be that he also has finally found the same juice as Sky? Because no clean rider can keep up with doped Sky, right??? A World TT champion is dropping all the known climbers?

Pointless to continue.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Rondje

by Rondje

It's always funny to see how some people can only see in black and white. If you aren't a fan or in love with a rider you are automatically a hater and a conspiracy theorist. You guys are somewhat allergic to people who simply raise questions and don't believe everything the world shows or says.

Questions regardings Froome career. How is it possible that a rider has to hang on moto's to make a time cut in the Giro on the Mortirolo becomes the best GT rider we have seen since.. Merckx (?). From a nobody who can't climb to the 2nd best at the Vuelta in one year time. No top 10 or even 20's before that. How do you explain that performance curve?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking critical questions and being skeptical from time to time.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Maybe it really just was the blood disease.....

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking critical questions and being skeptical from time to time.
Yes, nothing wrong indeed. The thing, however, is, there hasn't been an answer, and probably never will, until it is proven that Froome was doping with some magic stuff, himself admititng it... or never, in which case he officially will go into history as one of the greatest cyclists ever.

I've got no explanation for these changes, but still doping remains only one of them. Moreover, since he has kept the form for several years. We've seen enough of one-season GT wonders recently - mostly at Vuelta (Horner, Cobo, Mosquera), Froome is nothing like them.

So... no point in keeping to ask the question about suddent transformation over and over. Personally, I'm much more interested to discuss the question which I asked above - assuming doping how come that no other team has found the same recipe in 5-6 years? Even in Armstrong era, it took 2-3 years for others to catch up. What's different now?

I'm skeptical too, but I enjoy the show on the mountain and do not repeat the same after each win of Sky as some others are doing all the time. Now that's the real boring stuff.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Haha, wasn't that after Barguil missed a corner and bumped him into a pole? He is a funny guy, just not the right team to be funny in since everyone there is so serious. But really... those glasses
yea! G has had some spectacular crashes. remember when he was blown over at Gent and flew into the ditch?!

Rondje

by Rondje

nathanong87 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 pm
Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 pm

yea! G has had some spectacular crashes. remember when he was blown over at Gent and flew into the ditch?!

The image doesn't work but I won't forget he went flying. One of my favorite recent races. That face of Vanmarcke afterward and Paolini riding there with bigger wheels and less weight and stays upright, priceless.

Rondje

by Rondje

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Rondje wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm
Yes, nothing wrong indeed. The thing, however, is, there hasn't been an answer, and probably never will, until it is proven that Froome was doping with some magic stuff, himself admititng it... or never, in which case he officially will go into history as one of the greatest cyclists ever.

I've got no explanation for these changes, but still doping remains only one of them. Moreover, since he has kept the form for several years. We've seen enough of one-season GT wonders recently - mostly at Vuelta (Horner, Cobo, Mosquera), Froome is nothing like them.

So... no point in keeping to ask the question about suddent transformation over and over. Personally, I'm much more interested to discuss the question which I asked above - assuming doping how come that no other team has found the same recipe in 5-6 years? Even in Armstrong era, it took 2-3 years for others to catch up. What's different now?

I'm skeptical too, but I enjoy the show on the mountain and do not repeat the same after each win of Sky as some others are doing all the time. Now that's the real boring stuff.
Having no explanation doesn't remove doubt and skepticism at my side, I'm sorry. And the way Sky communicates and works with the media simply doesn't work in their favor. Maybe that's also why the media doesn't have the most positive pov in their publications of Sky.
I don't let stuff like this influence my joy to watch cycling. I do however find the Sky train boring. But it's up to other teams to beat it. Not like AG2R, Bahrein and Movistar do by helping them. But by attacking like Kruijswijk did yesterday. Because that really influenced the Sky train being burned down earlier than planned.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Daniel1975 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm
I'd like to hear the actual come from nowhere theory from the conspiracy theorists. It was suggested that Froome was on the ropes in his career and Sky suggested to him that he was on the cusp of getting fired and then all of a sudden he's like a new rider.

This article sums it up pretty succinctly.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 68940.html

Vermu

by Vermu

It’s futile to talk about SKY major tactical advance when other teams stupidly help them.
Last year astana helped Froome to finish a stage when he was isolated and now Bahrain!?

MFs for crying out loud. And to ad into equation competing teams have zero clue what they ought to do. Pierre Latour losing legs after that chase?
Oh cmon. TD is only one with his head on his shoulders and playing it smart, he should win CF on tt by a margin, G hasn’t lost as much tt-potential.

Even as I despise SKY - have to chapeu G. What a ride and hopefully he will keep that up, and himself.
Tour needs a winner with a bit brighter recent history as CF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

That finale word says it all. I don’t really care who wins the Tour (ok, TD please....), but the tour needs a different rider than froome. G in this shape is fine by me.