2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

themidge wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 am
Is it possible the team's (Sunweb's) other sponsors are a bit annoyed at Giant for basically making everything 'Giant', even shoes! Giant shoes! They might get a better all around relationship with equipment sponsors if it doesn't feel like the bike sponsor is trying to monopolise it all. Perhaps? I dunno :noidea:
that doesn't make much sense since manufacturers tend to brand all the components and accessories they can these days - take Spec, they'd brand the air surrounding cyclists if they could (and patent the hell out of it too!)

it's more likely Giant, as this huge company doesn't want to share the glory, or at least aims to be the number 1 sponsor instead of just a logo on a bike. makes a whole lot of sense to me, after all bike producers are the natural title sponsors here (of course a question of financial capabilities to pull that off remains).

out of WT teams, there are only few bearing producers name: Trek-Sega, BMC (now folding/changing name), Michelton-Scott and Bahrain-Merida. Caad dropped out, BMC will too - IMHO it's a good thing to see a major producer stepping up.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

themidge wrote:
Is it possible the team's (Sunweb's) other sponsors are a bit annoyed at Giant for basically making everything 'Giant', even shoes! Giant shoes! They might get a better all around relationship with equipment sponsors if it doesn't feel like the bike sponsor is trying to monopolise it all. Perhaps? I dunno :noidea:
Phil Bauhaus for instance switched back to S-Phyres after using Giant shoes for a few months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

wingguy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 pm
Right? I'll need to look it up but didn't Contador have like four and a half minutes on the rest of them by the middle of the second week? Sure, Yates is clearly a bit better than everyone else on every climb right now, but Contador was simply riding a different race to everyone else that year.
i wasn't trying to imply anything re: Yates performance other than that he has looked like a superior climber/cyclist in his two (really 3) wins to date. well ahead of his peers (although perhaps he just came into the Giro ready to go and we'll see him decline and Tom D rise). i'm not hear to yabber about peds (although looking at it now my language didn't help in that regard).

on another note someone is on twitter has posted a comparison of power on last hill of stage 11 which indicates tom D did 660 watts. at 69 kg does that make sense (almost 10 w/kg for like 2-3 minutes or so i guess (26 km/h apparently and the climb is about a mile long (maybe not quite?). WKO4 indicates that those sort of w/kg numbers are more appropriate for 1 minute.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

themidge

by themidge

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am
it's more likely Giant, as this huge company doesn't want to share the glory, or at least aims to be the number 1 sponsor instead of just a logo on a bike.
Now that you say it, that makes a lot more sense.

mentok

by mentok

mrgray wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am

on another note someone is on twitter has posted a comparison of power on last hill of stage 11 which indicates tom D did 660 watts. at 69 kg does that make sense (almost 10 w/kg for like 2-3 minutes or so i guess (26 km/h apparently and the climb is about a mile long (maybe not quite?). WKO4 indicates that those sort of w/kg numbers are more appropriate for 1 minute.
Na, I can definitely believe it. I'm the same height as Tom but carrying an extra 10-12kg and I'm a hare's breath below 600W for 3minutes. I have no doubt he can do lots more than me even at the end of a 150km stage.

Roel W

by Roel W

According a belgian newspaper BMC will next year be sponsored by Deloiite (so Deloiite would leave Dimension Data) and Giant will be bike sponsor.
As suggested earlier in this topic, Dimension Data could leave the Pro Tour: Cervelo is out of the team, Deloitte is out of the team and Dimension Data already sponsors telemetry of some major road races. That would also mean BMC is out of the Pro Tour as a bike supplier.
If that would be true, how about the rumour Giant would sponsor LottoNL-Jumbo in 2019? (or they should sponsor 2 teams).

Anyhow, we'll see a lot of changes in 2019!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

not that this matters but cannondale looks like they have a super slice non-disc

wingguy

by wingguy

mrgray wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am
[i'm not hear to yabber about peds (although looking at it now my language didn't help in that regard).
I didn’t say a thing about them either.

Just that Contador 11 was a different level of climbing dominance than Yates 18. At least so far, if he gets 2 minutes on everyone else on Zoncolan then it’ll be time to reassess!

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
You mean like Mitchelton Scott?

And like Trek Segafredo?

And like every Specialized team ever?

Yeah, I’m sure Subweb think Giant are being totally unreasonable in that regard :P

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Nathan... I noticed that too yesterday. Phinney was also on one. Craddock was on a disc model.

KWalker

by KWalker

Roel W wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm
According a belgian newspaper BMC will next year be sponsored by Deloiite (so Deloiite would leave Dimension Data) and Giant will be bike sponsor.
As suggested earlier in this topic, Dimension Data could leave the Pro Tour: Cervelo is out of the team, Deloitte is out of the team and Dimension Data already sponsors telemetry of some major road races. That would also mean BMC is out of the Pro Tour as a bike supplier.
If that would be true, how about the rumour Giant would sponsor LottoNL-Jumbo in 2019? (or they should sponsor 2 teams).

Anyhow, we'll see a lot of changes in 2019!
Doesn't mean they are out as a supplier, just a title sponsor.

I want to like Di Data, but they have floundered in their efforts. Funny enough EBH won another Tour of Norway stage. Sad to think what he could have done and that he is basically that guy that wins the home country races and does about nothing else. Shouldn't have left Sky.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rondje

by Rondje

KWalker wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 pm
Funny enough EBH won another Tour of Norway stage. Sad to think what he could have done and that he is basically that guy that wins the home country races and does about nothing else. Shouldn't have left Sky.
Didn’t his downfall start at team Sky? I’d say shouldn’t have joined Sky.

pastronef

by pastronef

Dr.Dos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am
themidge wrote:
Phil Bauhaus for instance switched back to S-Phyres after using Giant shoes for a few months.
Dumoulin keeps S-Phyres, and some other Giant riders

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 pm
Funny enough EBH won another Tour of Norway stage. Sad to think what he could have done and that he is basically that guy that wins the home country races and does about nothing else. Shouldn't have left Sky.
I got the impression last year that a lot of his form was back but he was just out of the habit of winning. He was so close to winning a few different stages last year but got the timing wrong every time. Got the impression he was overthinking, almost panicking in the last km. Like a footballer in a goal drought who can't just shoot on instainct anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje