2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

Leviathan wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm
mike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm
i am also hoping nairo can take the third week and froome fades with all those giro miles in his legs.
So am I, and as you're the ONLY one on this forum who picked Froome for the Giro after week one, Id give the idea some credence, but Quintana looks poor, and I cant recall a race when hes ridden himself into form?
Not true, I said he would win too last fall :P

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... o#p1362741

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Barring crashes, moto’s or “fans” I really don’t expect the GC to change by more than 20secs anywhere along the top 10 until the “Gimmick Stage” Stage 17. With its F1 style start, and tiny 65km length I’ve genuinely no idea who a stage like this would favour
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ave

by ave

It's very strange this Tour de France.
It's either one of two sky riders or Dumoulin, as there is still a TT to go. (I know unexpected things can happen, but realistically)
Roglic is well placed, but he constantly bleeds time.

Movistar's 3 stars team can't even follow the pace. If I'd have a team I'd not give Quintana a contract, I am afraid. I know it's harsh, but his performance is crap.

I can't believe that basically there're no riders around to even match sky domestiques.

TonyM

by TonyM

Quite impressed by Roglic as he really improved in the last two years!! Wow!
Not enough to win the TdF this year I suppose but really a big improvement! We surely see him in the next years as a contender for the podium or more.

flying

by flying

Watching these last two stages I have to say to my eyes Froome looks on the edge of spent.
Not to be surprised considering the build up + the Giro

But Dumoulin having also done the Giro looks a fraction better

Thomas has the golden ring in reach & it may be his for the taking.
The whole "I ride fro Froome" line should be dropped & his own future seized unless it is all an act anyway
He might just continue to ride away

It is almost classic that the Critérium du Dauphiné winner always predicts :D

maquisard

by maquisard

Attermann wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm
maquisard wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:54 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm
....wankers every one of you. And an absolute embarrassment to yourselves.
Are you talking about Team Sky fans?
Try to look beyond your hatred of Sky. Just once.
why the need to call people wankers?
Because he is a British cycling fan

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Let’s cut the racism out maquisard
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

spartan

by spartan

no reporter ask Froome. why you attack the yellow jersey. you disowner your own team

G is welsh.. stereotypes are true servants of their english masters . please grow some ba****. you can win only if you beleive.
Last edited by spartan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

themidge

by themidge

Chris Boardman said on the ITV highlights that Thomas' talk of Froome still being leader is probably a sort of mental defence against everyone going 'can you do it?' 'Is this the year?' etc, etc, and that Thomas certainly isn't riding like he's talking.

TD is looking really good (or Froome is fading) he pulled back a proper attack from him today and even gapped him and Bardet for a bit (with Thomas holding the wheel :wink: perfectly)

Re: the particularly 'vocal' fans, I get that they don't like Sky, but booing is just classless and childish. They are an embarrassment to their more respectful peers on the mountain.

By the way, the mayor of Huez banned the sale of alcohol for today :D :D

Edit: why shouldn't Froome attack? In Thomas' own words he's still team leader.

TonyM

by TonyM

spartan wrote: (...)

G is welsh.. stereotypes are true servants of their english masters . please grow some ba****. you can win only if you beleive.
Could you explain it to the non English native speakers? Image

TonyM

by TonyM

themidge wrote:Chris Boardman said on the ITV highlights that Thomas' talk of Froome still being leader is probably a sort of mental defence against everyone going 'can you do it?' 'Is this the year?' etc, etc, and that Thomas certainly isn't riding like he's talking.
Good point!

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Some of the fans have been utter wankers though, how is it possible to deny that? How is it ok to try and push a rider from his bike? I’d consider the booing just a bit pathetic TBH but the flag waving, flair toting, smoke bombists are almost as bad as the dude that tried to push Froome, there’s absolutely no reason to be running alongside riders especially not while holding a *f##k* phone, Kruijswijk‘s ride could have been epic and he was almost brought down by a “fan”. Wankers.

I don’t get the wheel sucking comments, Thomas is in yellow by a fairly healthy margin and he knows he’s got the best sprint by far, he’d be dumb not to follow wheels. If he keeps saying Froome is team leader the other riders might just be fooled into thinking it......still though, meh, I’m still rooting for Bardet, I’d be thrilled to see Dumoulin keep riding as strongly though!

AJS914

by AJS914

themidge wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 pm
Chris Boardman said on the ITV highlights that Thomas' talk of Froome still being leader is probably a sort of mental defence against everyone going 'can you do it?' 'Is this the year?' etc, etc, and that Thomas certainly isn't riding like he's talking.
I bet that is part of it and I also think that Thomas is still not quite sure deep down that he can pull it off. It will be interesting if Froome doesn't take any time from him and then it comes down to the time trial.

TonyM

by TonyM

themidge wrote: (...)
Re: the particularly 'vocal' fans, I get that they don't like Sky, but booing is just classless and childish. They are an embarrassment to their more respectful peers on the mountain.

By the way, the mayor of Huez banned the sale of alcohol for today :D :D
As long as the spectators only boo then it is ok for me. More is then not ok as it usually endanger the safety of the riders or change the outcome of the race etc....

Good thing to ban the sale of alcohol indeed. This should have been done also in the valley close to the climbs etc....alcohol is never good in such events...(look at soccer for example)

spartan

by spartan

History of Wales - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Wales
The history of Wales begins with the arrival of human beings in the region thousands of years ... The Welsh launched several revolts against English rule, the last significant one being that led by Owain Glyndŵr in the early 15th century. ... Yet, the Welsh retained their language and culture despite heavy English dominance.\

in other news Nibali withdraws from the race . damn i like this rider.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vincenz ... de-france/
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com