2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

It’s going to get pulled sideways against the hole though isn’t it, unless it’s super loose in the hole a sharp yank against the rubber bung doesn’t seem like a good idea

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 pm
It’s going to get pulled sideways against the hole though isn’t it, unless it’s super loose in the hole a sharp yank against the rubber bung doesn’t seem like a good idea
All DI2 cables are super loose in the hole, pretty much :noidea:

The slack that's in the frame will just slide out, if it even needs to. From where the cable exits the stem it would only pull a few mm if anything at all even with minimal cable exposed to start with. And it could all be a moot point anyway, the team mechanics might neaten things up by shrinkwrapping the wire to the rear brake cable all the way to that frame entry hole.

spartan

by spartan

FSA 3 years to bring to production . dead on arrival. 11 speed . sram/campy will have 12 speed e groups in production.
pastronef wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:30 pm
Burgos-BH with the new FSA group. Fortuneo-Samsic from Sram to Shimano
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MisterNoChain wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am
I tink it was in the Sram 12sp topic that someone claimed Trek Segafredo would also be riding Sram in 2019.
Since groupset silly-season talk is back. Trek Factory Women's and Trek-Segafredo Men's have indeed gone with SRAM. You can see it on the social feeds of all the pros training in the off-season. Even Contador (who took forever to switch to Di2) is riding around on eTap as a Trek ambassador.

Trek has already started featuring eTap prominently on its flagship bikes instead of DA Di2. It remains to be seen if Trek will quickly move away from BB90 in order to accommodate SRAM DUB Road cranks this year or more likely next. I'm looking for a complete SRAM groupset line-up reveal in January.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Maybe they'll go from their proprietary direct bearing-in-the-frame system to the normal BB92 (or whatever the road width is) system that Sram makes a Dub BB for. I'm talking about the style Scott uses. It's always been annoying that Trek's system is almost the same, but not quite.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

More likely SRAM just has GXP 12spd cranks available for both the pros and retail. Trek will undoubtedly move to both a large bore and wide BB standard next year though...probably something similar to BB386Evo, but not exactly the same.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@TobinHatesYou: I’ve seen where you’ve said something similar before but I’m just curious why you think Trek would have to change it’s BB90 spec to accommodate Srams dub? Where does the problem lie? I’ve looked at Dub only a little but didn’t see how there would be much of a problem adapting it to BB90.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

37mm OD bearings vs "28.99mm" spindles.

DUB's compatibility list is a mirror image of the 30mm spindle compatibility list, only that slightly more durable bearings can be used in the edge cases like with BB86.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I’m not following. 37mm OD bearings fit perfectly into BB90 shells and are in fact the same OD as both Shimano and Campy bearings. And with the new 28.99 spindle, it can now fit nicely through the bore of a BB90 shell, whereas a 30mm spindle comfortably cannot. So, in a similar fashion that Trek has made adaptor kits for GXP and Campy (none are required for Shimano), what precludes them from doing the same thing for DUB? And what do we even need DUB for in the first place, especially in a road bike application? I’m not really getting it I guess. Anyone else help me out here? Why would Trek have to change BB90 to accommodate it if that’s what they wanted to use?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

guyc

by guyc

Chances of SRAM paying Trek a lot of money to be in these bikes - high

Chances of Trek dropping their own BB spec for SRAM - zero

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:54 am
Ok, I’m not following. 37mm OD bearings fit perfectly into BB90 shells and are in fact the same OD as both Shimano and Campy bearings. And with the new 28.99 spindle, it can now fit nicely through the bore of a BB90 shell, whereas a 30mm spindle comfortably cannot. So, in a similar fashion that Trek has made adaptor kits for GXP and Campy (none are required for Shimano), what precludes them from doing the same thing for DUB? And what do we even need DUB for in the first place, especially in a road bike application? I’m not really getting it I guess. Anyone else help me out here? Why would Trek have to change BB90 to accommodate it if that’s what they wanted to use?

We hate on BB86 plus 4130 bearings for having terrible durability/endurance. A "3729" bearing would be absolutely atrocious.

We don't *need* DUB. It's really just a way for SRAM to cut their crankset SKUs in half. BB90/95 is really the only BB standard that won't be adapted for DUB, so that's an acceptable loss. BSA is fine, just like BSA30 before it was fine.
guyc wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 am
Chances of SRAM paying Trek a lot of money to be in these bikes - high

Chances of Trek dropping their own BB spec for SRAM - zero

It wouldn't just be "for SRAM," but the reality of the situation. DUB is coming, 30mm has been here for years. Treks with BB90 are incompatible all of those.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, sorry I thought my question could be easily and quickly answered, so this is my last post on this SRAM dub issue in this thread, becasue it's not on topic at all. Perhaps a separate thread on SRAM's DUB "standard" can be started. Tobin, I thought when you said 37mm, and 28.99 spindles, you were saying that the OD of the bearings used in the DUB was 37mm, my bad. If that's not the case, then fine, therein lies the issue because the durability of tiny bearings goes against everything that the D in Dub stands for. But what is the actual OD of the DUB bearings themselves by the way, not the cups, but the bearings themselves? Bearings aside, another issue would have been that 30mm spindles are just a tad too large for the BB90 bore, but guess what... 28.99mm would be just fine. To @guyc's point... if SRAM wants a big piece of Treks OEM market, a spindle size to fit Trek's existing BB90 would be shall we say... very convenient as a first step. You talk about the "reality of the situation is that DUB is coming", as if it's going to change the world and everyone will be clamoring for it. I don't think so. I really don't think TREK is about to change their BB90 specs overnight because SRAM has a new BB. The other way around perhaps, in that SRAM may be very accommodating to TREK; I'm sure TREK is getting a very good deal as a result of going with SRAM next year verus Shimano. And isn't DUB really all about the mountain bike world at this point (I don't know), with better sealing of bearings etc., which I'm not sure really applies to the road world as much. Yes, 30mm spindles have been around for a long time, and they simply have not taken off in a big way, certainly not in the road market anyway. I just don't get it at this point... SRAM's attempt at something new maybe?... but better... hmmm. Start a thread. Continue the DUB discussion there. This isn't the place, at least not in the depth that we seem to want to discuss this. I would like to learn more about DUB, but from what I've read about it so far (I haven't actually worked with it), I'm in the camp of "Meh, who cares".
I just don't know how you can make statements like "Trek will undoubtedly move to both a large bore and wide BB standard next year though...probably something similar to BB386Evo, but not exactly the same."
Undoubtedly? Really?... Hmmm, well, I for one, doubt it.

Rondje

by Rondje

Dumoulin is going to ride the Giro as his main goal next season: https://twitter.com/TeamSunweb/status/1 ... 8414272512
Smart move as the course suites him more than the TDF course.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BB90 uses 37x24x7mm bearings for 24mm spindles (37x22x8mm for GXP NDS.)

37x28.99x7mm would not be feasible because the balls would be tiny and there’s no way to use outboard bearing cups for larger bearings.

Trek doesn’t even use BB90 on its alloy bikes...opting for BB86 instead. It’s not a question of when they ditch it altogether, but whether the new Domane ditches it when it’s released.

Noting this, I guess the sub-discussion is over.

e: 30mm spindles fit through the 34.8mm bore of BSA shells just fine. BSA30 is a thing that exists. It’s not the 37mm bore size alone that prevents DUB compatibility. It’s because unlike BSA30’s use of 6806 bearings, BB90 is limited to 37mm OD bearings.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Rondje wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:13 am
Dumoulin is going to ride the Giro as his main goal next season: https://twitter.com/TeamSunweb/status/1 ... 8414272512
Smart move as the course suites him more than the TDF course.
And, Poof! There goes ASO's biggest chance for a non-Froome/Sky TDF victory. No way Bardet, Pinot, or Alaphilippe is going to beat Team Sky, regardless of the course.

Nice going, ASO.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)