2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

bilwit wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm
With all the crashes today I am amazed no one has died with cuts from disc rotors, or has all that gone quite now ?!?!?!?!?!?! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Only a few riders were on discs today. If Kristoff was on a disc bike, Moscon would have a pretty severe cut on his arm right now :wink:

By that speculation he should have a giant chainring gash in his arse too....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

The carnage and desperation over the last 20kms was fantastic.

Poor porte.. No one seems to know how he went down but out he is. Form of his life two years running and stage 9 strikes again.

You know you are desperate when you have a broken Craddock trying to get Uran back to the lead group.

The dropped gc hopefuls were a bit lucky that Sky's domestiques all crashed in succession before the final part so they could not push the pace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maury

by Maury

https://twitter.com/bjmackay638/status/ ... 4643217408

Tom Skujins Incident

Follow the link above. Then you have to scoll down a little to a 44 second video. This is the same video everyone is seenig but slowed down. At 36 seconds it looks like he kicks the drive side pedal forward which makes the non-drive side pedal go backwards. At 39 seconds the non-drive side pedal starts to go forwards. Do pedals change direction like that?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Yes they do, when you have good crank bearings and a clean drivetrain then often the freewheel will have enough friction to to turn the cranks.

Using Tapatalk

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Maury wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:29 am
https://twitter.com/bjmackay638/status/ ... 4643217408

Tom Skujins Incident

Follow the link above. Then you have to scoll down a little to a 44 second video. This is the same video everyone is seenig but slowed down. At 36 seconds it looks like he kicks the drive side pedal forward which makes the non-drive side pedal go backwards. At 39 seconds the non-drive side pedal starts to go forwards. Do pedals change direction like that?
He picks the bike up off the ground with some forward momentum, the rear wheel rolls forward when it lifts so it starts spinning. He kicks his right pedal so the cranks spins backwards a bit. No big deal when you watch it closely

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nefarious86 wrote:Yes they do, when you have good crank bearings and a clean drivetrain then often the freewheel will have enough friction to to turn the cranks.
It’s actually the exact opposite... the cleaner and smoother running everything is, the less chance a spinning rear wheel should have any effect on crank rotation, since rh freehub should be super smooth. Only when everything is sticky in the freehub does that happen, and granted the cranks need to smooth running, otherwise the chain would just get bunched up a bit. For the rotating rear wheel to move the crank the freehub would have to be pretty sticky. Like a Mavic hub where the bushing hasn’t been properly lubed in a while.
Hard to tell why the rear wheel was spinning here but like was said I suspect he gave the crank a good spin to set the chain back on the cogs or chainring properly just before it came within camera view. But that certainly wasn’t evident in the little clip.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thats exactly what I said Cal, clean drivetrain allows the friction of the freehub to spin the system.

If you look in Twitter their is a clip of him spinning the chain back on as he gets up.

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nefarious86 wrote:Thats exactly what I said Cal, clean drivetrain allows the friction of the freehub to spin the system.

If you look in Twitter their is a clip of him spinning the chain back on as he gets up.

Yes, I realized where you were coming from and edited my post. While the cranks need to be super smooth and friction free for that to happen, the only way the chain will be moving enough to rotate the cranks is if the freehub is sticky, as opposed to silky smooth. But like you say, he probably just gave the crank a good spin to set everything right again after the crash.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Can anyone explain to me why the hell it seems like every time a Sky rider crashed, everyone slowed down?

I mean, if Andrey Amador is the guy you have pulling on the front when you have a gap on Froome, you’re doing it wrong.

Also, trying to understand how Amador and Co put time into Phinney, Scully and the rest of the EF guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LeDuke on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Doesn't even need to be a super specced drivetrain with ceramics etc. Even the "gold standard" DT240 hubs have freewheel drag.

DT240 36T Freehub with less than 500 dry kms on it, stock 9100 idler pulleys, KMC chain cleaned MSW style and lubed with Bikemix and steel Enduro 6806 bearings pre loaded with a Wheels MFG wave washer.
https://twitter.com/AaronPaul86/status/ ... 02625?s=09

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... no way any of my cranks would spin from freehub friction.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Really. Go throw them in the 53/11 and spin up the rear wheel and see what happens.

I know my Vias doesnt but that also has too much tension on the BB because I'm using the standard Sworks collar.

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 am
Doesn't even need to be a super specced drivetrain with ceramics etc. Even the "gold standard" DT240 hubs have freewheel drag.

That’s all the proof I need to report you to Cycling Australia. I knew your results were too good to be true!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wookski wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 am

That’s all the proof I need to report you to Cycling Australia. I knew your results were too good to be true!
Classic self stitch up....

Using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 am
Hmmm... no way any of my cranks would spin from freehub friction.
All of mine do except for my Campy equipped Colnago. My Parlee with Mavic wheels and Ceramic BB will really spin from just the free hub resistance. Depends on gear choice also.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com