2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wookski

by Wookski

spartan wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Yates is a great climber but the field is he riding against are not. missing is sky wonder boy Bernal, movistar Launda/Quintano, Nibali and Porte. Froome is a spent force he will be going on forced holidays for the next 1-2 years. time will tell if Yates can compete with the A-class.
Dumoulin managed to keep up with Quintana & Nibali last year and Yates is climbing much stronger than Dumoulin. Porte may be a good climber but would lose time/ be in a ditch on the first technical descent. Landa’s done nothing exciting this year. In your hypothetical “super Giro” I still have Yates on top.

Wookski

by Wookski

ave wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Tinea Pedis wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm
Yep, Yates 2018 is certainly the same as Contador 2011 - who savaged the entire peloton up Etna. Solo.

Spare me.
Do you still think the same? ;)
Yates will never be Contador. But if this performance continues future riders will be compared to “Yates in 2018.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

spartan wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:21 pm
Yates is a great climber but the field is he riding against are not.
He finished the '17 Tour in 7th place, behind "superior" climbers like Uran and Martin.
Do you think either of these would be able to hold his wheel? Not even Bardet, I'd say.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ave wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:
Yep, Yates 2018 is certainly the same as Contador 2011 - who savaged the entire peloton up Etna. Solo.

Spare me.
Dumoulin wrote:If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the piss I lose a lot more.
http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro-di ... pUxuYOd.99

So here we have the guy chasing him stating what was quite clear to anyone who actually watched that yes, a substancial portion of Yates' gap came from them mucking around. Unlike Contador of 2011, where everyone was riding out of their skin and still bleeding time. But use any confirmation bias you like. Yates could - like any rider - ultimately be dirty. Me, I'm backing he's clean. And putting on a f**king great show while he is at it.

bilwit

by bilwit

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:10 pm
ave wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:

Spare me.
Dumoulin wrote:If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the piss I lose a lot more.
http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro-di ... pUxuYOd.99

So here we have the guy chasing him stating what was quite clear to anyone who actually watched that yes, a substancial portion of Yates' gap came from them mucking around. Unlike Contador of 2011, where everyone was riding out of their skin and still bleeding time. But use any confirmation bias you like. Yates could - like any rider - ultimately be dirty. Me, I'm backing he's clean. And putting on a f**king great show while he is at it.
lol Dumoulin never fails to cry about his rivals not pulling for him in every Giro now

ave

by ave

From that velonews article:
"I had to dig so deep to stay with those other riders after Yates’ attack."

It's a bit confusing. Maybe he have lost less if he didn't care about the others around him, maybe not.

Yates was super strong simple as that. But he is not the first one to do an "unexpected" performance after some solid, but not that super spectacular results.

mentok

by mentok

I'm not intimately familiar with the Yates brother's race schedules, but I've gotten the distinct impression that they've spent the past few years collecting GT experience rather than trying to actually win them. I don't think you'd peak your season and intentionally shorten it for a GT that you're not trying to win, but I imagine based on performances Simon has turned up to to spend his form to actually try to win this one.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bilwit wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:52 pm

lol Dumoulin never fails to cry about his rivals not pulling for him in every Giro now
Call it what you like, I like the fact he's happy to be blunt with his thoughts at the end of the stage.

Have said this before, we bemoan pros who give us nothing in interviews. Then say they 'cry' when they do speak their mind. Damned either way.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Id say its more down to the fact that they cant compete for any young riders jerseys, so they now have to go all out for GC

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Simon doesn’t have to hold his fine form until the end. His twin brother Adam will come to the Giro and finish off the third week and give his brother a fine win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Dumoulin made the mistake. He should have put his head down and time trialed up the climb with his power meter. The guy in 2nd who is losing time has to do all the work. That's grand tour 101.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

AJS914 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 am
Dumoulin made the mistake. He should have put his head down and time trialed up the climb with his power meter. The guy in 2nd who is losing time has to do all the work. That's grand tour 101.
Not with the TT coming up. TD’s excuse was he will get his minutes back (he might he might not). Much less certainty for the other 4, but then they don’t want to tow him to the line only to lose 1-2 minutes to TD on Tuesday. Lose-lose situation. Everyone raced how they should have raced yesterday. Except Aru.

TonyM

by TonyM

Dumoulin is such a nice guy.
BUT when it doesn’t work like he wants he is just always crying and putting the blame on the others! Such a kid.

He knew HE had to push after the attack.
I also really don’t understand why the DS of Sunweb did not tell him that! But maybe he just doesn’t listen to him. Who knows?

raincity

by raincity

Do the folks comparing this to Contador 2011 remember Contador 2011? Contador was pulling out minutes every mountain stage. The biggest gap Yates has won by is 45 seconds. Not in the same ball park.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

kkibbler wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:15 am
AJS914 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 am
Not with the TT coming up. TD’s excuse was he will get his minutes back (he might he might not). Much less certainty for the other 4, but then they don’t want to tow him to the line only to lose 1-2 minutes to TD on Tuesday. Lose-lose situation. Everyone raced how they should have raced yesterday. Except Aru.
That’s why I said one possible reason is that the others aren’t delivering. A strong and confidenced Dumoulin would take the lead and ride his own tempo like he did last year in a few stages. And the rest feel they aren’t strong enough so they already seem to ride for the podium instead of the win. Just as Froome choose the queenstage to at least get something out of it.