2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

lol that seatpost! :lol:

BTW he's got that set-up because Pinarello only makse the Bolide up to a size 56 :D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Yes the guy is 2 meters high / 6'5"

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

bikewithnoname wrote:2019 Giro TT routes look to favour the TD/Froome type over Kung types with those climbing finishes. Quintana will likely lose 2mins...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2019-gi ... n-bologna/
Ironically, neither TD nor Froome will be at next year's Giro (my guess).
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

wingguy

by wingguy

LiquidCooled wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:2019 Giro TT routes look to favour the TD/Froome type over Kung types with those climbing finishes. Quintana will likely lose 2mins...
Ironically, neither TD nor Froome will be at next year's Giro (my guess).
And Quintana won't be there either, he's focussing on the Tour again instead. Sounds like Yates is going to give it another shot, and without any of those guys there it might be hard to bet against him. I wonder if Sky will send Geraint as leader?

bilwit

by bilwit

Hopefully Geraint isn't an idiot and actually does go for the Giro + Vuelta. Now is the time, he won't get many more chances. No point in riding the Tour when he's not guaranteed leadership. Unfortunately on the Wiggins podcast he said he wants to defend the Tour though.. still has time to change his mind though. He could knock out all three grand tours before he retires if he can stay upright..

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

he's already won the Tour, "the greatest race in the world", probably got a big fat bonus and a nice raise too - that puts him in a whole different place regarding his mental state and it wouldn't suprise me one bit if he didn't crash anymore until the end of his pro days.

next year's GT rivalry looks pretty damn exciting; we've got a really vast bunch of riders with a GT win or podium under their belts, and it's gonna be interesting too see how they pick their battles. IMHO Tour doesn't have to be a number 1 priority, especially for Yates or Thomas.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

maquisard

by maquisard

tymon_tm wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:51 pm
he's already won the Tour, "the greatest race in the world", probably got a big fat bonus and a nice raise too - that puts him in a whole different place regarding his mental state and it wouldn't suprise me one bit if he didn't crash anymore until the end of his pro days.
Didn't really work out that way for Wiggins! :smartass:

bilwit

by bilwit

Yeah I think it's very likely that his career goes in the trajectory of Wiggins which is why he needs to target the Giro/Vuleta and NOT the Tour next year, there's not many more years left to do them. He shouldn't waste it on potentially being domestique for Froome again when he could be the outright leader for the Giro. Wiggins also won the Tour at 32 years old, then only had ONE more season to target a Grand Tour (Giro 2013) before it was all about Paris-Roubaix + Team Pursuit. Thomas has already stated that he wants to target the classics again at some point too..

wingguy

by wingguy

bilwit wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 am
Wiggins also won the Tour at 32 years old, then only had ONE more season to target a Grand Tour (Giro 2013) before it was all about Paris-Roubaix + Team Pursuit.
Remember at the time that Wiggins said he did that because after he had the Tour title he didn't want to deal with the constant dieting and weight watching aspect of being a GC rider anymore. It's up to Geraint psychologically more than physically as to how much longer he wants to be a contender. In the past he did admit that his off season habits were holding him back, and he had to commit to staying professional all year round to get his climbing where it needed to be.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

erm, Wiggins was already a multi-medalist before the Tour, I wouldn't even start comparing the two. besides there's somtehing called 'mentality' and it's striking how different the two of them are

I agree Giro/Vuelta looks like the best way for Thomas - first, it's something different than Tour and requires different approach (and a little change is a good thing IMO). second, there's still this skinny elephant in the room, with more pull and greater desire to reclaim the yellow.

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 am
erm, Wiggins was already a multi-medalist before the Tour, I wouldn't even start comparing the two.
I’m sorry, I’m unclear on what you’re trying to say - you wouldn’t compare Wiggins and Thomas because Wiggins was a multi-medalist? Thomas has two Olympic golds, three World golds and six other major championship medals. That’s not enough to qualify for ‘multi’?
besides there's somtehing called 'mentality' and it's striking how different the two of them are
Yes. That was my point.

Miller

by Miller

All well and good about how Thomas 'should' target Giro and Vuelta but how can the French Tour defending champion stay away?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

wingguy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 am
erm, Wiggins was already a multi-medalist before the Tour, I wouldn't even start comparing the two.
I’m sorry, I’m unclear on what you’re trying to say - you wouldn’t compare Wiggins and Thomas because Wiggins was a multi-medalist? Thomas has two Olympic golds, three World golds and six other major championship medals. That’s not enough to qualify for ‘multi’?
besides there's somtehing called 'mentality' and it's striking how different the two of them are
Yes. That was my point.
$hit I forgot all UK cyclists are basically trackies and it's hard to find one without a gold medal... my bad

although I still think Thomas is nowhere near as flamboyant (is the term you use up there?) as Wiggo is.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

GT is definitely more level headed than wiggo as demonstrated by his relationships with both wiggo and froome.

RE: Tour vs Giro etc... keep in mind that there is much more opporutnity for a cyclist (especially from the UK) from a career perspective from winning multiple tours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Miller wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm
All well and good about how Thomas 'should' target Giro and Vuelta but how can the French Tour defending champion stay away?
My money would be on him going to the Giro to try and win, then back to the Tour ostensibly as co-leader but expected to morph back into super domestique duties if Froome’s on form.