2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

PG is definitely an egotistical guy. I've never ridden with him, (Ted King I have) but I've been around him a few times at the TOC before he retired, and lets just say he believes being a Pro Cyclist is one of the highest callings a person can have. Not to say he isn't nice and friendly cause he is. Just a bit too much into self-promotion.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Rogntudju

by Rogntudju

Why don’t they use anti chain drop stuff ? Simple solution to a simple problem...
Only a fool will look for logic in the chambers of the human heart...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Rogntudju wrote:Why don’t they use anti chain drop stuff ? Simple solution to a simple problem...
Like what?... clutches and upper chain guides and lower chain guides, etc etc.? That’s more faff than a nice, simple perfectly functioning front derailleur that would allow the use of two chain rings and proper road gearing. The whole 1x thing for road racing is on its deathbed before it even got up for breakfast.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

^+1, The marketing talk about road 1x always goes on about it being simple and 'clean' and light weight, which it is if you keep the same cassette as normal and just lose the chainring and FD. But just doing that has several flaws, which are fixed using heavy wide range cassettes, overly bulky (looking at you SRAM) narrow-wide rings, and chain guides that don't weigh much less than a high end FD. Also, nobody has won the Tour de France on a bike with only one chainring since around about the time of WWII...
Rant over :D.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Rogntudju wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:59 pm
Why don’t they use anti chain drop stuff ? Simple solution to a simple problem...
I don't know that the 3T frame has a way to mount one. There isn't a FD hanger to use and the tube shape doesn't look like it would make it at all easy to clamp something on that would hold an anti chain drop device.

Miller

by Miller

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm
Rogntudju wrote:
I don't know that the 3T frame has a way to mount one.
Indeed. The 3T Strada frame is designed without any way to mount a FD.

Rogntudju

by Rogntudju

Gasp, my bad...
Only a fool will look for logic in the chambers of the human heart...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Even if it did... why? If it did I’m sure they’d all have front derailleurs and double chainrings back on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

thePrince

by thePrince

Ok I'll bite :) 1x obviously has kinks to be worked out for road racing. Having said that, I think there is a lot to be said for going in that direction. Even at the pro level...how many pros are spending time in a 36/39 front ring and 11-15ish in the rear? My guess is not much. As the 1x system evolves, and we get to 14 speeds, it's not inconceivable.

Improve:
1. Chain drop w/ better narrow-wide chainring and better clutch RD
2. 14-15 speed RD
3. Lighter cassette (even at 14/15 speeds, look at an old 7 spd cassette)
4. Possible breakthrough in RD design to allow for smoother shifting across to a "climbing block"

Personally I think the 1x haters are thinking a bit inside the box rather than seeing how the racing bicycle could evolve without the need for a FD. And in the mean time, I agree it sucks for AquaBlue because the tech isn't quite there yet.

ave

by ave

I dislike 1x because of the stupid big cogs at the back. You can't help that with any of that 4 points.
I'd much prefer if they invented a gear system which gets rid of the array of cogs instead.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Another slight disadvantage to one-by, (and I do have it on my mtb and I like it a lot), is that narrow-wide chainrings wear out SUPER fast.......the cross guys on this board that use it should be able to confirm.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

nemeseri

by nemeseri

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm
Rogntudju wrote:
I don't know that the 3T frame has a way to mount one. There isn't a FD hanger to use and the tube shape doesn't look like it would make it at all easy to clamp something on that would hold an anti chain drop device.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

wheelbuilder wrote:Another slight disadvantage to one-by, (and I do have it on my mtb and I like it a lot), is that narrow-wide chainrings wear out SUPER fast.......the cross guys on this board that use it should be able to confirm.
Most MTB riders get plenty of mileage out of them. Which sees nastier conditions than someone will ever face on the road. Got 6+ months on the current ring, at 12-15hrs a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

ave wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 pm
I dislike 1x because of the stupid big cogs at the back. You can't help that with any of that 4 points.
I'd much prefer if they invented a gear system which gets rid of the array of cogs instead.
Yes, they look absolutely ridiculous. UCI needs to step up and ensure pro bikes look pro. Rear mech limited to 28 max and nothing less than 53 big ring. I don’t want to see old man ratios in the pro peloton!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

^^^ you can't be serious, your man Froomey has been known to sneak that 32 cassette onto the back on the big days. hahaha