2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

tmr5555 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm
From Velonews:
"Nibali contract talks ‘on hold’ in wake of blockbuster McLaren deal"

I say Mclaren has tasted the blood in the water (like a shark, geddit? lol) and weighing the option of getting G or Froome over at the end of 2019.
They're so transparent.
Brent Copeland at it again...

https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/n ... eal_482537
but why them? :noidea: afaik McLaren is also owned by oil money, so it's like Bahrain partnering with Bahrain - the team might be based in UK but that's it. as much as my limited understanding of how spoiled rich people think goes, they might as well make a bid for any given rider as long as the prince behind the venture says so :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tymon_tm wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm
tmr5555 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm
From Velonews:
"Nibali contract talks ‘on hold’ in wake of blockbuster McLaren deal"

I say Mclaren has tasted the blood in the water (like a shark, geddit? lol) and weighing the option of getting G or Froome over at the end of 2019.
They're so transparent.
Brent Copeland at it again...

https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/news/n ... eal_482537
but why them? :noidea: afaik McLaren is also owned by oil money, so it's like Bahrain partnering with Bahrain - the team might be based in UK but that's it. as much as my limited understanding of how spoiled rich people think goes, they might as well make a bid for any given rider as long as the prince behind the venture says so :roll:
McLaren's largest and majority shareholder is the Mumtalakat Holding Company - the sovereign wealth fund of the Kingdom of Bahrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think for some of these guys, it’s not about the advertising or the cost/benefit return from their advertising dollars that is the driving force behind sponsorships. It’s simply that someone with power and control over a whole lotta cash just happens to like bikes, a lot. It’s all relative. If you have billions then what’s a few million here and there to be able to indulge in the sport you like. Look at Oleg Tinkov for example. Sponsoring a bike team is just part of the “disposable income” equation. And maybe get your picture taken with some pros and have something cool to talk about with your other billionaire buddies. Maybe even tag along on a few “training rides”. How fun would that be. A different level of “hobby”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:06 pm
I think for some of these guys, it’s not about the advertising or the cost/benefit return from their advertising dollars that is the driving force behind sponsorships. It’s simply that someone with power and control over a whole lotta cash just happens to like bikes, a lot. It’s all relative. If you have billions then what’s a few million here and there to be able to indulge in the sport you like. Look at Oleg Tinkov for example. Sponsoring a bike team is just part of the “disposable income” equation. And maybe get your picture taken with some pros and have something cool to talk about with your other billionaire buddies. Maybe even tag along on a few “training rides”. How fun would that be. A different level of “hobby”.
I think that's the case for more teams than the just the obvious ones. Often someone in a marketing or management position in a large multinational company really likes cycling and has the power to create a sponsorship to both market their company and indulge their hobby. Look at James Murdoch and the SKY sponsorship for a prime example.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:16 pm

I think that's the case for more teams than the just the obvious ones. Often someone in a marketing or management position in a large multinational company really likes cycling and has the power to create a sponsorship to both market their company and indulge their hobby. Look at James Murdoch and the SKY sponsorship for a prime example.
I mean even for the club teams local to me, it sure helps having someone in management that is interested in sports, its quite impossible getting your foot through the door otherwise.
Just like in football, big money wants the best, the best might become available, sooo..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

See Andy Rihs and BMC as another of many examples.

In other news Specialized has made a terrible mistake by letting Scott lure Kate Courtney away.

A 23 year-old American XC World Champ, local to the Bay Area like Specialized. A huge social media presence as well. They should have thrown her all the money.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:32 am
See Andy Rihs and BMC as another of many examples.

In other news Specialized has made a terrible mistake by letting Scott lure Kate Courtney away.

A 23 year-old American XC World Champ, local to the Bay Area like Specialized. A huge social media presence as well. They should have thrown her all the money.
It might have been in the works before her win in the XCO WChamps. I recall that result being a fair surprise.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Good point, Scott will have been hunting for a top or up and coming female racer all season, since Jenny Rissveds decided to step away.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't get Neff, but maybe they didn't want the whole team to be too Swiss. They already dominate the Euro XC scene, Courtney must be really valuable for the US market.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:32 am

I'm so surprised by this... Courtney seems a perfect fit for them... I can't beleive they let her slip away.