2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rondje
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: Netherlands

by Rondje

pastronef wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm
not a fan of either Van Aert of VDP. am I bad?
and it looks like VDP will smash the mtb too. dont like that
What's not to like about MvdP? He got it all, highly skilled, multi-talented and likes to ride offensive. While at the same time he doesn't come over as an arrogant guy.

by Weenie


mag
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm

by mag

Regulations for sock height, yeah! Finally this fundamental problem is going to be resolved!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-add ... -rulebook/

stoney
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 am

by stoney

Craigagogo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 pm
stoney wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm
LouisN wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:07 am

I'm looking forward to the spring classics :D !!!!
Wout has put on 10 kilos since last spring. He may have a hard time getting over the bergs with the lead group. He is suffering bad right now trying to keep up with MvdP in the CX races.
That may be what he has said to justify his lack luster (relative to him obviously) cx performances as of late. From the video coverage I've seen of him recently it sure doesn't look like he has added 10 kilos to me! Maybe someone has seen him in person or at races and can comment on my comment :lol: .
In the CX races I've watched online he looks pretty thick next to MvdP and Toon Aerts. Who knows, it may be all muscle like he insinuated but you still feel that extra heft up the hills and accelerating out of corners.

User avatar
LouisN
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Location: Canada

by LouisN

It's only november guys :wink: . Van DerPoel dominated the last 2 or 3 CX season starts, and pretty much all season long too. Didn't prevent Van Aert to peak at the right time. Read all the comments about this or that guy being overweight in february for the early road races :lol:

We'll see in the spring.... anyone knows what's his spring agenda ? Will he race the CX Worlds or focus on road events even in february and start at Omloop Het Niewsblad ?

Louis :)

User avatar
LouisN
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am
Location: Canada

by LouisN

Rondje wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:25 pm
pastronef wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm
not a fan of either Van Aert of VDP. am I bad?
and it looks like VDP will smash the mtb too. dont like that
What's not to like about MvdP? He got it all, highly skilled, multi-talented and likes to ride offensive. While at the same time he doesn't come over as an arrogant guy.
I agree with Rondje. What is not to like about a dominant athlete in a sport ? You're not bad pastronef, just jealous :wink: , I am too, but I like both of theses guys. I can't say the same for some roadies though.... More seriously, as spectators we enjoy a more balanced spectacle between battlers. In individual sports such as CX and MTB, the more talented and skilled athletes will dominate from end to end if they stay healthy, look at Shurter the last 10 years. In a team sport like road cycling, there are a few more factors on the line. You can't just dominate by talent alone, you need a strong team also.
That's also why people tend to hate whole teams in road, not just riders :lol: .

Louis :)

stoney
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 am

by stoney

LouisN wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm
It's only november guys :wink: . Van DerPoel dominated the last 2 or 3 CX season starts, and pretty much all season long too. Didn't prevent Van Aert to peak at the right time. Read all the comments about this or that guy being overweight in february for the early road races :lol:

We'll see in the spring.... anyone knows what's his spring agenda ? Will he race the CX Worlds or focus on road events even in february and start at Omloop Het Niewsblad ?

Louis :)
MvdP doesn't peak...he's good all year with the occasional off day race. He's wins on Road, MTB, and CX from January to December. There is not a more complete cyclist in the world...fact!

Rondje
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: Netherlands

by Rondje

LouisN wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm
It's only november guys :wink: . Van DerPoel dominated the last 2 or 3 CX season starts, and pretty much all season long too. Didn't prevent Van Aert to peak at the right time. Read all the comments about this or that guy being overweight in february for the early road races :lol:

We'll see in the spring.... anyone knows what's his spring agenda ? Will he race the CX Worlds or focus on road events even in february and start at Omloop Het Niewsblad ?

Louis :)
He first has to find a team in order to get his road events in place. So far Jumbo reacted by saying they will be careful and have to read the full UCI report/verdict before taking the chance.

Rondje
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: Netherlands

by Rondje

stoney wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 pm
LouisN wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm
It's only november guys :wink: . Van DerPoel dominated the last 2 or 3 CX season starts, and pretty much all season long too. Didn't prevent Van Aert to peak at the right time. Read all the comments about this or that guy being overweight in february for the early road races :lol:

We'll see in the spring.... anyone knows what's his spring agenda ? Will he race the CX Worlds or focus on road events even in february and start at Omloop Het Niewsblad ?

Louis :)
MvdP doesn't peak...he's good all year with the occasional off day race. He's wins on Road, MTB, and CX from January to December. There is not a more complete cyclist in the world...fact!
And then it is said that he rides without a real trainer and training program. If that's true the progress he might be able to make can be insane.

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

stoney wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 pm
LouisN wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm
It's only november guys :wink: . Van DerPoel dominated the last 2 or 3 CX season starts, and pretty much all season long too. Didn't prevent Van Aert to peak at the right time. Read all the comments about this or that guy being overweight in february for the early road races :lol:

We'll see in the spring.... anyone knows what's his spring agenda ? Will he race the CX Worlds or focus on road events even in february and start at Omloop Het Niewsblad ?

Louis :)
MvdP doesn't peak...he's good all year with the occasional off day race. He's wins on Road, MTB, and CX from January to December. There is not a more complete cyclist in the world...fact!
Ah, so what. Have you seen him win any events on the velodrome? I haven't. Have you seen him winning anything in artistic cycling or cycle ball?


On a serious note, I completely agree. MVDP is a massive talent. Everyone talks about WVA's move to the road as the big thing but I think MVDP is the bigger talent and will, ultimately, make the bigger impact on the road if he heads that way. I hope he doesn't burn himself out by competing at such intensity throughout the whole year.

User avatar
micky
Posts: 4786
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Vicenza
Contact:

by micky

Rumour from Italy is that Pozzato would have support from Wilier to create (or sponsor an existing one?) a Continental team and continue one more year.
I bet Pissei and Ursus might be involved as well.

TurboKoo
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 pm

by TurboKoo

Wasn't he supposed to have WT contract for the last year? Or do I remember completely wrong.. :noidea
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

User avatar
Willier
Posts: 1581
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:37 pm

by Willier

Pelucchi to Androni, which will be a good balanced team next year IMO.

Monkeyfudger
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 pm

by Monkeyfudger

Two-time champ Richie Rude and one-time champ Jared Graves have both confirmed to Pinkbike that they tested positive for Higenamine (banned in and out of competition) and Oxilofrine (banned in-competition) at the third round of the series in France. They say that their failed tests were due to accidental ingestion.
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/exclusive-r ... rance.html

Mikejnr
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 3:28 am

by Mikejnr

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am
Two-time champ Richie Rude and one-time champ Jared Graves have both confirmed to Pinkbike that they tested positive for Higenamine (banned in and out of competition) and Oxilofrine (banned in-competition) at the third round of the series in France. They say that their failed tests were due to accidental ingestion.
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/exclusive-r ... rance.html
What im curious about this is;
With two riders returning AAFs and four more confirming their tests, that leaves three other riders who have yet to confirm they were tested and, more importantly, confirm that they didn't fail.
Feels like there might be more to come.

AJS914
Posts: 2483
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

I read that story. Why would other riders confirm that they have been tested and confirm that they didn't fail? I also read that the riders waived their right to a B sample retest.

AAF is similar to the Froome case. Riders can make a case as to why they tested positive and why they shouldn't be penalized.

It sounds like a supplement snafu to me.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post