2018 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Question: Quickstep are leading the team GC competition and have done for quite a few stages. I notice that Jungels and Alaphilipe have been wearing yellow helmets as is now customary for the team leading the team gc (like the old custom of the yellow caps and even the green caps when there was a team points competition) but none of the other team members. Why is that? I thought it was compulsory that the team leading the team gc wear yellow helmets? I also notice that those not wearing yellow helmets have been using the Evade 2 helmets - did Spec not provide them with these in yellow?

Anyone know?

Rondje

by Rondje

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 am
Question: Quickstep are leading the team GC competition and have done for quite a few stages. I notice that Jungels and Alaphilipe have been wearing yellow helmets as is now customary for the team leading the team gc (like the old custom of the yellow caps and even the green caps when there was a team points competition) but none of the other team members. Why is that? I thought it was compulsory that the team leading the team gc wear yellow helmets? I also notice that those not wearing yellow helmets have been using the Evade 2 helmets - did Spec not provide them with these in yellow?

Anyone know?
What I noticed is that those wearing the Evade have small yellow decals on the helmets. As seen in this picture of QS instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlD4P-IAsNT ... kstep_team

by Weenie

Rondje

by Rondje

bikewithnoname wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 am
Watching La Course it looks like the final descent today is full of fast sweeping turns, doesn’t look to me like the sort of descent you can make any great gains. The damage if any will need to be done on the way up the Colombiere (or before)

Great ride from AMVV! AVDB must be so gutted
What a final! I really though AvdB had it in the pocket, but that nasty last bit of uphill did it. Wish we see the same kind of racing in the men's race today.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Rondje wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Anyone know?
What I noticed is that those wearing the Evade have small yellow decals on the helmets. As seen in this picture of QS instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlD4P-IAsNT ... kstep_team
I have noticed that too but that's a far cry from a "yellow helmet". But I guess from today on it won't be an issue as I cannot see Quickstep leading the team GC much longer now that the mountains are beginning.

themidge

by themidge

Rondje wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 pm
What a final!
Is it a euro (and therefore cool) thing to say 'final' instead of 'finale'? I've noticed all the English speaking riders doing it, even Brits.

I agree though, it was an awesome final(e)! I thought Anna VdB had it until the last, she just looked to crack in the last few meters and didn't have the energy to surge to hold back Van Vleuten.

Looking forward to the men's stage, presumably they've all had the chance to recon the final climb and descent on the rest day, so seeing as they will all know the road I don't think we'll see any big gaps between the favourites. Someone will probably get majorly dropped though, or perhaps there will be two groups on the road by the top of the climb, one with all the top contenders like Froome, Bardet, Nibali, TD, and then a group of 'second rate climbers' like Jungels, Alaphillipe, Navarro, etc.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Crash in the neutral.... Yep cobbles are the cause of crashes...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Rondje

by Rondje

themidge wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Rondje wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 pm
What a final!
Is it a euro (and therefore cool) thing to say 'final' instead of 'finale'? I've noticed all the English speaking riders doing it, even Brits.

I agree though, it was an awesome final(e)! I thought Anna VdB had it until the last, she just looked to crack in the last few meters and didn't have the energy to surge to hold back Van Vleuten.

Looking forward to the men's stage, presumably they've all had the chance to recon the final climb and descent on the rest day, so seeing as they will all know the road I don't think we'll see any big gaps between the favourites. Someone will probably get majorly dropped though, or perhaps there will be two groups on the road by the top of the climb, one with all the top contenders like Froome, Bardet, Nibali, TD, and then a group of 'second rate climbers' like Jungels, Alaphillipe, Navarro, etc.
I don't know I'm Dutch myself and funny enough the Dutch word is 'finale' as well. Maybe I silently adopted the translation without an 'e' by hearing it in English.

VD Breggen lacked competition so maybe that's why she came short in the end. V Vleuten having done Zoncolan etc might be in the flow of digging deeper?

About today's stage, I just hope they start fast, so we can see if there is anyone who comes bad out of the rest day and lose some time.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

BdaGhisallo wrote:

Anyone know?
In the past, Specialized only made the the Prevail model in the different jersey colors... They actually had all of the differet options in the Prevail I, the KOM, green, yellow and white. I don't beleive they have ever made/offered for sale the Evade in the jersey colors. Granted, they could always make any of them as a special custom option for the leaders, but I don't think I've seen that yet.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
2017 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL5
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT
2015 Specialized Venge Pro (Retired)

maquisard

by maquisard

Glad to see the plateau and Maquis des Glières being given the respect they deserve on a stage like this. For the French this area and those like the Vercors are full of powerful histories, I would encourage all to read this history.

War is a terrible thing for everyone.

Vermu

by Vermu

Would it possible that GvA could be in yellow at Paris? SKY isn’t pulling as hard as they could and the time difference is huge - or is it just delaying the inevitable?

Btw go Alaphilip! Huge ride, definetly could be the next french gt rider

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Sky have been soft pedalling all day, with Rowe and Castroveijo the first men over the first 4 climbs they’re really not pushing the pace at all. Will anyone light the touchpaper on the final climb?

Oh and zero chance GVA will be in yellow in Paris
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

bilwit

by bilwit

great ride by alaphillipe and GVA, looks to me like GVA gave up a lot of his sprint power to climb better this year for some reason :noidea:

TonyM

by TonyM

Very emotional win by Alaphilippe indeed (like Degenkolb)!

Roglic and Nibali were very easy today

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Does no team have the balls to even try an attack? The entire GC cabal just sat behind Sky all day and did F-all! (Small nod to Dan Martin for taking what 4 secs of lead on the summit of the Colombiers)

I hope they’re saving thier powder for tomorrow!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

TonyM

by TonyM

Dumoulin said it yesterday: all GC contenders are close together so everybody is then afraid to loose some time. We will see tomorrow and in 2 days at Alpe d’Huez!

Great attack from GvA BTW. Cool to see the yellow jersey like this!!

by Weenie