2018 on the Road Today.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Late lunch...

Rollin’ on 6/7’s today...

Perched on a 72 gram carbon potato chip...
Image.
Will add more comments in the appropriate thread.

It’s a good day in the CalZone!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

This Wednesday I got bit by a Pyreneean shepherd dog (I have documentation but will abstain from posting in the interest of decency).
The dog was with an old lady, unleashed. Saw me and beelined for me, from about 11 o'clock. Most dogs will overshoot you, but this one timed it perfectly, sank his teeth into my upper thigh. One canine (that is a canine canine!) went throught the shorts and through the skin, a gash of about 1 cm. I managed to remain on the bike and the dog let go. Some skin is missing, Now, a few days later, there is a blue halo about 8x3cm, the imprint of the jaw. The assos bibs resisted the other 3 canines though, that counts for something.
I got back to the lady. The dog is there looking bored, not concerned at all by this. The lady doesn't scold the dog.
Me: your dog bit me
Lady: that's the first time!
Me: I know. You are supposed to control your animal in public spaces
Lady: She doesn't obey!
Me: I can see that. Why isn't she on a leash?
Lady: she doesn't like it, pulls too hard
Me: then don't take her on the road
Lady: it's your bike that excited her!

In the end, after many phone calls, I got documents of the dog's vaccination status from the family. Seems ok.
The lady, the lady dog, or both, need training.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I rarely say this but sleepy green needle seems appropriate for the situation.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

coriordan

by coriordan

I thought it was called blue juice (wife is a vet).

Those Pyrenean Mountain dogs are f***ing thick. My uncles one used to run into the road every time a car came. Who would want to own such a stupid beast? Cheeky is nice, but something biddable as a minimum.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

basilic wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:10 pm
This Wednesday I got bit by a Pyreneean shepherd dog (I have documentation but will abstain from posting in the interest of decency).
The dog was with an old lady, unleashed. Saw me and beelined for me, from about 11 o'clock. Most dogs will overshoot you, but this one timed it perfectly, sank his teeth into my upper thigh. One canine (that is a canine canine!) went throught the shorts and through the skin, a gash of about 1 cm. I managed to remain on the bike and the dog let go. Some skin is missing, Now, a few days later, there is a blue halo about 8x3cm, the imprint of the jaw. The assos bibs resisted the other 3 canines though, that counts for something.
I got back to the lady. The dog is there looking bored, not concerned at all by this. The lady doesn't scold the dog.
Me: your dog bit me
Lady: that's the first time!
Me: I know. You are supposed to control your animal in public spaces
Lady: She doesn't obey!
Me: I can see that. Why isn't she on a leash?
Lady: she doesn't like it, pulls too hard
Me: then don't take her on the road
Lady: it's your bike that excited her!

In the end, after many phone calls, I got documents of the dog's vaccination status from the family. Seems ok.
The lady, the lady dog, or both, need training.
If you lived in America, you'd looking at a pretty good paycheck for that dog bite. Insurance would be very willing to pay you off, before you sued the old lady.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Money can be handy, living with a lingering though of getting sued is not. I'm quite happy to live in Europe ;) The lady is probably going to pay for the bib shorts and the doctors bill.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Fiery

by Fiery

Beer is ripening.

basilic

by basilic

Frankie - B wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am
The lady is probably going to pay for the bib shorts and the doctors bill.
yes, plus I got a case of wine delivered.
Fiery, nice field, i love it when the color turns.

liam7020

by liam7020

basilic wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 am
Frankie - B wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am
The lady is probably going to pay for the bib shorts and the doctors bill.
yes, plus I got a case of wine delivered.
Fiery, nice field, i love it when the color turns.
Glad you're not too badly hurt but what about this dog's behaviour coupled with the owners obvious inabiity to control it? You're probably big enough to look after yourself but what if the dog pulled the same stunt with a child on the bike - the results could be much worse. Personally I think this type of incident should undoubtedly be reported to the police or whatever relevant authority. If you're unwilling to do that, at the very least I would be looking for some assurances from the dog owners that they control their animal more responsibly, though how you would ensure that I have no idea. For me I would be straight to the cop shop, period.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

kingtom

by kingtom

Time for some pics from Switzerland Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem VTR-L09 mit Tapatalk

kingtom

by kingtom

MoreImageImage

Gesendet von meinem VTR-L09 mit Tapatalk

basilic

by basilic

kingtom, thanks for the nice photos!

Liam, I agree. I was going to talk to the cops because the lady's response was totally inadequate, and this was going to happen again for sure. But then I talked to her kids, who live in the houses next to hers, and they took it very seriously, and promised that the dog would remain on the property from now on (I sent them the photos to back it up). We talked about kids on bikes etc. Their properties are on the main biking route in that direction. If I see that dog on the road again I'll report them.

wobbly

by wobbly

@KT - you manage to make even a piece of tarmac look enticing - thanks for the photos :thumbup:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Slop chop.

All in all a successful day out :)ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com