Assos & Castelli bib sizing?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dastott

by dastott

I know this question comes up sometimes but I can’t seem to find the answer for me. I am 185cm and 70kgs and have worn size M bib shorts from Santini, Sugoi and La Passione. Thinking to ‘upgrade’ to Castelli or Assos and was wondering about sizing for these two brands. If anyone can compare that would be very helpful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

173cm, 67kg, wearing Castelli size large shorts. I am a medium in every other brand. You would likely be the same.

TonyM

by TonyM

dastott wrote:I know this question comes up sometimes but I can’t seem to find the answer for me. I am 185cm and 70kgs and have worn size M bib shorts from Santini, Sugoi and La Passione. Thinking to ‘upgrade’ to Castelli or Assos and was wondering about sizing for these two brands. If anyone can compare that would be very helpful.

171cm and 67.5 kg summer/ 70kg winter: Castelli in M (summer and winter), Assos in S (summer) and M (winter)

savechief

by savechief

Haven't had Castelli in a while, but my two pairs of Assos S7 Neo Pro bib shorts are mediums, and they fit great. I'm 185cm and 73kg.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

1415chris

by 1415chris

In majority cases size up rule would apply to Castelli clothing.
Used to use and still have quite a number of their bibs, all of them XL. Assos XL too.
By the way, go for Assos, better quality ;)

Antoine

by Antoine

Same size and weight that Contador, Castelli M fits me like a glove , not so for Assos (between S and M) .

dastott

by dastott

Thanks guys, so probably M in Assos and L in Castelli. Assos seem to last longer, according to Internet research.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Hope I can pop in a question I have?!

Does anyone know why Assos stopped offering bibs in a long leg option? With 187 cm and 62 kilos it's rather difficult for me to find fitting bibs. Long leg version was a blessing for me in size small.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Thanks! :thumbup:

kode54

by kode54

keep in mind that Assos has a race cut and a looser club cut. the race cut is called Cento while the looser cut is called Mille.

i wear S in the Cento S7 bibs while M in the Capionissimo or race cut. feel is about the same.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TonyM

by TonyM

dastott wrote:Thanks guys, so probably M in Assos and L in Castelli. Assos seem to last longer, according to Internet research.

Assos is indeed a much better quality than Castelli!!

TonyM

by TonyM

kode54 wrote:keep in mind that Assos has a race cut and a looser club cut. the race cut is called Cento while the looser cut is called Mille.

i wear S in the Cento S7 bibs while M in the Capionissimo or race cut. feel is about the same.

The Assos Cento S7 and the Assos Mille S7 also have different inserts with a different thickness (Cento: 10mm; Mille: 8mm). The Cento is more for long distance.

As for the Castelli, the “rosso corsa” models have a race fit (and a different insert normally).

But there is a HUGE difference betwen the insert quality of the Assos and the Castelli!

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I keep hearing that about Castelli, which is a shame. Their clothing fits me quite well and it is such a hassle to find something that fits. Apart from my lack of weight I also have long legs and broad shoulders. Makes up for an interesting combo when shopping for clothing.

Not a bad word from my side about the Assos bibs btw. I bought a couple of them years back and the only small "problems" they gave me were a gripper that came loose and the black that is starting to fade after a lot of rides. If I could I'd go for Assos straight away but I can't ride around in bibs that are way too short. And I am afraid that without the long legs (they add 4 cm in that version) it can become quite tricky to find something that fits me well.

Anyway, thanks for the input and again: apologies about kinda hijacking the thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

kode54 wrote:keep in mind that Assos has a race cut and a looser club cut. the race cut is called Cento while the looser cut is called Mille.

Almost correct.

There are two fits:

Race Fit - Equipe and Campionissimo product
Comfort Fit - Mille and Cento product

Rich at ASSOS.