Moderator: Moderator Team
1) Tubulars or clinchers on Malta? I have used to train some mixed quality roads with some bad weather stuff. I have never had a flat there so I think I'll go with tubulars here too, but maybe there's something I don't know about the roads, like some grit on the tarmac that can go through the tyre?
2) Are there any weekend group rides on the main island?
3) Any road safety tips?
- in the industry
- Posts: 3548
- Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
- Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
2) there are a few clubs details of which can be found in a search.
3) eyes everywhere, the ,maltese are not known for there driving skills.
Also there is limited routes as 1/2 the island is congested and built up. The other half toward the cliffs and the north west of the island has some decent cycling. The east of the island is o.k as well the middle and north avoid if you can on a bike as it is not pleasant. Also watch out of dogs a few times in the south of the island i was chased by rather aggressive looking dogs. i don't think they were petable.
There is more scope for a gravel bike or MTB then you can mix it up a bit more.
Bear in mind the pollution in Malta (also watch the salt content in the food it is high). All of my granparents, uncles and aunts there have died in there 50's, 60's and 70's. It is not a healthy place to be. All you have to look at is the obesity rate in Malta to see the quality of the food you are eating unless you cook everything from base ingredients.
I agree with all that bm0p700f says above - the roads were treacherous in the wet - I think it might be the to do with what is in the road building material (they cancelled a stage as it was too slippy).
Here is the site, which shows the circuits they use. The St Paul's bypass closed one side for the race - not sure it is that great to use otherwise but we did have to get to the other stages by using it.
I remember there being a few local clubs entered, so I'd be shocked if there wasn't group rides at the weekend.
Other thing - the shops with the rabbit logos - they are butchers, not pet shops
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 4 Replies
- 849 Views
Last post by NiFTY
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 pm
- 2 Replies
- 539 Views
Last post by vladoo
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 pm
- 6 Replies
- 635 Views
Last post by Squashednuts
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:31 am
- 11 Replies
- 2598 Views
Last post by cwdzoot
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm
- 0 Replies
- 444 Views
Last post by MichaelB
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 am