Descending the Pyrenees - Cork pads or otherwise?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hi folks, I'll be going to the Pyrenees in 3 weeks time and wonder what's the best options for braking to go with my Extralite wheels and EE brakes. I've a choice of Corima cork pads which are currently on right now (but definitely not tested on long descents as yet), or I can fit on Black Prince pads. Anyone with relevant experience on these to give a recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

With alloy braking surfaces, any decent pad will be fine. I've always found Kool Stop Salmon to be one of the best.

damond

by damond

I've been there this summer with carbon clinchers and no problems but my advice would be to take some alloy rims specially in this season. You'll face some serious (>30m) descends and you'll probably do that under rain so make sure you take proper gear with you.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Oops, sorry forget to mention the Extralites are carbon tubular wheels...

naylor343

by naylor343

Bring plenty of winter gear. After weeks of sunshine, winter is arriving here quickly. Where are you going to be staying?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

naylor343 wrote:Bring plenty of winter gear. After weeks of sunshine, winter is arriving here quickly. Where are you going to be staying?
Going to travel and have daily rides from Barcelona to the Pyrenees. Plans are still loose and no accommodation booked yet, hope that's not a problem! My mate in Spain says winter comes mid-December nowadays but I'll get myself ready with cold wear for sure as I know mountain weather is unpredictable and I live in the tropics.

ddsg

by ddsg

Would definitely take aluminum rims if I were you. Wouldn't want to have to deal with carbon brake tracks on a wet descent.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

ddsg wrote:Would definitely take aluminum rims if I were you. Wouldn't want to have to deal with carbon brake tracks on a wet descent.

^ This. Especially at this time of the year.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Noy sure what tims you have on your extralite hubs (?ax) but in my experience the ax lightness rims i have brake the best with campy carbon pads compared to swisstop. I have not tried corima but as modulation but power is what makes people recommend them i think campy would be superior.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com