Smart Trainer Apps?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Ive been using Zwift the past few months and its been mostly positive. Its more fun than traditional indoor riding, and features a small amount of premade workouts which I like. It also uploads to Strava, has social network, etc. All good.

But now, Im looking for a more specific type of program, centred around training plans and workout customization. I dont really need any silly graphics or a social network. I just simply want to type in the intervals and targets for the day and press play.

You would think something like this exists, where you dont even need an internet connection or subscription to get a workout in.

Trainerroad seems to be a good match for me. But ideally, I would like a non subscription, no frills type of software that would be found in a laboratory. What are the pros running?

Since I only use the trainer a few times a month, I feel like a $10-$20 per month subscription is not really well spent.

Any tips?

ms6073

by ms6073

Which Smart Trainer? Is it bluetooth capable? For PC based training, you might want to look at Golden Cheetah whicis open source (aka free) and the latest version includes a workout app for Smart TRainers. If you have an iPad or Android tablet, you might want to take a look at the Tacx Cycling App, which is a free tablet app that allows you to create and trainer with Power or Slope based workouts Finally, checkout DCRainmakers blog as I think he has a post on trainer apps for Smart Trainers that includes several free apps.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Its the Wahoo Kickr direct drive trainer. I have access to iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. I actually tried GC in Linux but my Dell Latitude E5470 would not pick up the Bluetooth sensors for the Kickr. I will try the Windows version tonight as Linux GC versions have been buggy in the past.

edit: Does the same thing in Windows. Wont pair using laptops built in Bluetooth receiver. I always used the Zwift mobile link with my iOS device to pair, and a Mac/PC to run the app on a TV.

I looked for a Wahoo Kickr driver for Microsoft Windows and couldn't find one. Not sure how to get everything talking... It looks like I may need a specific Bluetooth or Ant+ USB dongle for it to work.

edit 2: And it appears that Zwift does indeed have a custom workout editor that is pretty simple to use. This is all I really need, minus the $10 per month fee and graphics.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

For windows and Bluetooth, you could try buying the BlueGiga Bluetooth adapter - https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4245505

It _might_ work with Golden cheetah. It does work with with Rouvy (and is better priced than at the Powertap store )

Or just get a ANT+ dongle - https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3947399
You wouldn't need the iPhone with this and should also work with Golden Cheetah and most other apps.

You could also look into PerfPro - http://perfprostudio.com/Default.aspx

It's a one time $99 purchase, but does seem focused on workouts.

Somewhat of a comparison here: - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/tra ... guide.html

ms6073

by ms6073

Keep in mind that unlike ANT+ FE-C, connecting via Bluetooth is single connection instance, meaning once paired with a device, you have to unpair from said device before attemtping to pair with another. Nearly learned this the expensive way when I got a new set of Bose Bluetooh ear buds and first connected them with my iPod Nano and later could not figure out why they woulld not pair with the wife's a day later!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lockxchg

by lockxchg

Don't use the Bluetooth stuff with Golden Cheetah, iirc that only works right on MacOS but most importantly - there is no standard for smart trainer control for Bluetooth like FEC on ANT+. Just get a cheap ANT+ stick, that will work on all the platforms and also allow you to pair HR or power meter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Second the ant+ dongle recommendation if you want to use a computer. The bluetooth works best with phone apps and the built in computer. You can also have issues with having multiple devices on...I couldn't spindown with both my phone and my Bolt connected, had to turn the Bolt off. Oddly, both had power readings but no control. See your pm's also.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record