Bike Fitting Loosing Popularity?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

unless the person doing the eye-balling is extremely perceptive, I don't think there's a lot of value unless someone is way out of the ball park with their current fit. Using vector analysis and pressure mapping has the potential to tap into some subtle yet real gains on the bike.
After spending the winter on the trainer, every spring when I first get out on the road on the bike I've been riding for 10 years, I feel like someone moved my saddle and bars. after 2-3 weeks of riding that bike, everything feels right again. Point being, your fit needs change depending on your fitness level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Quick question about bike fit... is it a must or a rule of thumb that when you are on the hoods you look down your handlebar and not suppose to see your front wheel hub?

Also is it true if you move your saddle forward, you won’t be able to open up your pelvis more and end up using more of your quads that way?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:39 am
Quick question about bike fit... is it a must or a rule of thumb that when you are on the hoods you look down your handlebar and not suppose to see your front wheel hub?

Also is it true if you move your saddle forward, you won’t be able to open up your pelvis more and end up using more of your quads that way?

Only shitty bike shops fit people with the wheel axle "rule." If I have a long neck, a long torso or aggressive back angle, of course I'm going to see my front axle. That doesn't mean my fit is wrong.

Moving the saddle forward without also moving it higher can cause hip impingement when your foot is at the 11-12 o'clock position. It's not really that you'll use more quads, more that you are not going to be able to use your glutes as effectively.

addictR1

by addictR1

Good to know. Cuz last year I went to a Fit by P in SF. He said my original fit on my TMR02 was really bad, but to me felt ok but wanted to get dialed in more.

After the fit in about a week I noticed the fit was too aggressive but was told to keep riding. Then shortly after that I had a bad injury, strained knee and ligaments.

Told the fitter how it messed me up, he said he would refit me but need to charge me additional $85... he used the axle method and eyeballed everything. After that I’m still trying to recover back into riding. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

As has been mentioned before, lots of snake oil salesmen in the bike fitting business.......

zefs

by zefs

That is why it is recommended to do a fit with Retul or Shimano, because they not only place you correctly on the bike but also find any asymmetries or characteristics of your body and correct them, like using wedges and shims/proper shoes for your feet and arch support.
Some people ride for years without a fit and maybe experience no issues, but others need corrections to be able to keep riding because of different body characteristics.

mattr

by mattr

zefs wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am
That is why it is recommended to do a fit with Retul or Shimano,
Still plenty of people using "systems" who don't know their arse from their elbow.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:39 am
It's better than putting your elbow on the point of the saddle and seeing if your fingertips touch the bar... but thats about it. :P
I don't quite follow? Moving your saddle forwards will open up your hip angle (it's why Tri bikes are steep) but it may also load your quads.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 am
Good to know. Cuz last year I went to a Fit by P in SF. He said my original fit on my TMR02 was really bad, but to me felt ok but wanted to get dialed in more.

After the fit in about a week I noticed the fit was too aggressive but was told to keep riding. Then shortly after that I had a bad injury, strained knee and ligaments.

Told the fitter how it messed me up, he said he would refit me but need to charge me additional $85... he used the axle method and eyeballed everything. After that I’m still trying to recover back into riding. :(

Wow I cant believe anyone would try to tell people they are a fitter and fit them with no tools of any kind and then charge money for it. It would be awesome if you could get your money back for such a terrible fit. Hopefully manyt ppl from your area read this and steer clear of this shop. Did you keep your original fit measurements on hand so you can revert back to what you once had addictR1?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't quite follow? Moving your saddle forwards will open up your hip angle (it's why Tri bikes are steep) but it may also load your quads.

TT/Tri fits bring the saddle up too.

Moving the saddle forward without increasing its height will close the hip more when your crank is around TDC.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Moving the saddle forward without increasing its height will close the hip more when your crank is around TDC.
When you say height what exactly do you mean?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:43 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Since the saddle is positioned aft of the BB, sliding it forward along the X axis will reduce your leg extension unless you also raise the saddle on the Y axis. Having an effectively shorter saddle height means the hip is more closed at the top of the pedal stroke. It's one reason why triathletes/ironman athletes have gone with really, really short cranks (like 145s)...to avoid hip impingement at the top of the pedal stroke.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 am
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:43 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Since the saddle is positioned after of the BB, sliding it forward along the X axis will reduce your leg extension unless you also raise the saddle on the Y axis. Having an effectively shorter saddle height means the hip is more closed at the top of the pedal stroke.
Ok, so in what is commonly termed saddle height by most people you mean keeping it constant, not increasing it.

Well, yeah. I assumed I wasn't talking to complete muppets. Maybe not the most reliable assumption but still, some things you shouldn't need to spell out in crayon :wink:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 am

Ok, so in what is commonly termed saddle height by most people you mean keeping it constant, not increasing it.

Well, yeah. I assumed I wasn't talking to complete muppets. Maybe not the most reliable assumption but still, some things you shouldn't need to spell out in crayon :wink:

I wanted to be thorough considering the type of questions addictR1 was asking.

And of course there's also little things like what happens when you roll your hips forward in a TT/Tri position. You end up sitting on the pubic rami toward the middle of the saddle rather than the flare. That could result in having to adjust the BB-saddle distance slightly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

bikeboy1tr wrote:
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:40 am

Wow I cant believe anyone would try to tell people they are a fitter and fit them with no tools of any kind and then charge money for it. It would be awesome if you could get your money back for such a terrible fit. Hopefully manyt ppl from your area read this and steer clear of this shop. Did you keep your original fit measurements on hand so you can revert back to what you once had addictR1?
That’s the thing I didn’t. Image that was my bad. But no I wasn’t able to get my money back.. so since then I’m just trying to slowly get back into riding again with more power. Before the fit my FTP WAS 197, but since then last weekend did a 20min TR FTP and turned out 135w Image but at least not too much pain.