Nicest way up Pico del Teide, Tenerife?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

I will be soon be heading towards Tenerife for the first time with my racebike and want to climb Pico del Teide. There are several roads up there, but which way is the nicest? By nice I mean scenic, quite small road with not so much traffic.

Oh, and if anyone have good riding advise for other nice roads on Tenerife I would love to hear about it :D

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

The quietest way up is from Guimar but the road that goes from Granadilla up to Vilaflor is awesome!

i'd also ride across and down to Poris de Abona on the north road that goes to it and then ride back up on the south road. Thats an awesome loop and a really cool climb (road surface is pretty bad but its a fun ride)

Riding around Masca/ Santiago del Teide is also great.

i lived there for 4 months. Great place to ride, just don't expect any flat roads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arthurf

by arthurf

Jhomewood wrote:The road that goes from Granadilla up to Vilaflor is awesome!

+1, great road to climb and descend. The TF-21 from Vilaflor to the crater is really nice too, some amazing views. The TF-525 up to La Escalona and then the TF-51 to Vilaflor is another good option and very quiet the times I've ridden it. Most roads away from the main roads are reasonably quiet and the drivers (except tourists!) are exceptionally courteous towards cyclists.

Zak

by Zak

Thanks for the input!!!!

How is the T21 up from La Orotrava? Logistics would be easier for me that way, but if isn't anything special I will work something out.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I did not do other four Teide climbs so don't have reference, but I enjoyed doing it from La Orotava. Quite big section of this rout is in the forest, the north part of Tenerife is greener than south, so not much spectacular views. But up to and above forest line, plenty.
I was descending to La Laguna (T24), good fun. I was there around this time of the year, roads were very quite especially in higher mountains. And one more thing, doing La Orotava way and from La Laguna you would have much greater chance riding in clouds. This big valley is a cloud catcher.