Hoarding cassettes - is it normal?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rudi

by Rudi

Hi all

I've just fitted a new cassette and chain. I knew I had a few older ones in the parts bin, but I've just counted and I have 9 (and this one I've just taken off will be 10).

Is there any value in keeping any of them? After all, I've generally only taken them off to replace with a new one.

Keep a couple of lock rings and bin the rest? Maybe a spacer or two?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willier

by Willier

How about put them on ebay...

boots2000

by boots2000

I had a bunch of extras when I stopped racing. They were all Dura-Ace 7800 with minimal miles.

I only ride with an 11-32 now, so not need for more cassettes than wheels.

Kurets

by Kurets

Ebaying them just like the guy above writes. You'll get some cadh out of it and clean up some clutter.

Rudi

by Rudi

Ebay looking like the best option. I assume I just advertise as "well used" to avoid any issues with poor feedback?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

ms6073

by ms6073

I accumulated quite a few Ultegra level cassettes from cyclocross racing, and when I stopped racing, I sold some of the spare cassettes on Ebay, but in my case, nearly all had low miles/less than 50-hours of total use. My test to determine if a cassette could be sold was to check it on the bike with a brand new chain, if there was no skipping, then the cassette was okay for sale with a very succinct description, those that skipped under load got packed off to a local metal recycling yard.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

that wint avoid bad feedback. if the buyer has a chain slipping issue and they might you may have to refund and get bad feedback. i would not sell a used cassette on ebay. i have bought a few but i would not sell one.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

Sell them "as is" as a batch...should be easy to unload.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I'm wondering if there's any chance we can take the less-worn sprockets from different cassettes and make a whole, less-worn cassette? I guess, for a particular rider, he/she will most likely be wearing out the same few sprockets on all the cassettes so it might not be possible...

Geoff

by Geoff

Um, yes. I have 13-17 Maillard straight-blocks...

AJS914

by AJS914

Rudi wrote:Ebay looking like the best option. I assume I just advertise as "well used" to avoid any issues with poor feedback?

Be super accurate in your description, clean them up and take good close up pics so that people know exactly what they are getting. If someone complains, refund their money and tell them to keep it or throw it away. I stopped worrying about negative feedback. If you do everything right, you can even get ebay to remove a negative for you if you are a seller in good standing.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Geoff wrote:Um, yes. I have 13-17 Maillard straight-blocks...

LOL, we used to call those "corncobs"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

UpFromOne wrote:
Geoff wrote:Um, yes. I have 13-17 Maillard straight-blocks...

LOL, we used to call those "corncobs"

If you need anything lower than a 42x17 you're not trying!